12th gen battery charge limit option question

I plan on using my 12th gen batch 2 mostly in a vertical stand, plugged into power and monitor 90% of the time, only 10% as an actual laptop while away from the home office.

I read there’s a battery charge limit setting with the 12th gen BIOS. Does it make sense to set that to 80% for my use case? Is there a better value to use when I’m not using it as a laptop, and then change it to 100% for a full charge before going unplugged on trips?

1 Like

I’m mostly plugged into power and I limit to 85% in the BIOS. If I’m going on a trip I will change back to 100%.

Mine is at 78%
At least once a month I charge to 100%
Use for 6 hours plugged in.
When away I don’t change it.

See below ‘blue > wear’ 5 days ago I charged to 100% and the wear dropped :slight_smile: It will increase over the next few weeks and I’ll decide what to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty much the worst thing you can do to a lithium-ion battery is constantly keeping it topped off to 100%. The closer to 50% the better, but 90% already poses a major improvement in lifespan

1 Like

I know what I’ll be doing now. Well, once I get my FW. Thanks everyone!

Be cautious about that, allow for the airflow output via the gap between the screen and base unit between the hinges.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is just superstition on my part but I swear that I and my sister have better luck “recalibrating” the internal battery meter on lithium ion batteries by draining the battery until the device turns off and then charging them to 100%.

(protip on laptops/tablets - leave the device sitting in the BIOS so that you don’t have to worry about 1. the OS experiencing an unsafe shutdown 2. modern OSes automatically shutting down when percentage is low and 3. modern devices refusing to power on when the battery reads single-digit battery percentages; the latter 2 are particularly troublesome when dealing with a battery meter that needs calibration)

And to clarify to OP, the recalibration is because, when intentionally keeping the charge level more in the middle, you can eventually get funny situations like going straight from 75% to fully charged or sitting at 0% with the power on and charger unplugged for over an hour.

It’s my understanding that 30-40% is the actual “sweet spot” for long-term storage, but targeting 50% can be better to account for loss-of-charge when batteries are left in storage over time.

And for anyone else wondering, a cold, dry place above freezing is the ideal location for storage. A fridge is not ideal unless you live in a particularly dry climate where the dew point is typically as low as 32f/0c, otherwise the ambient air will immediately condense anytime it comes in contact with the cold air inside of the fridge whenever you open the fridge door.

1 Like

Yes I have done that twice in the first six months.

I discharged until it powered off at 5%. Then I waited 30 minutes and switched on again. Although it was still at 5% I could use the computer for another 20 minutes and then is powered off at 2%.

I then charged to 100% and had quite a difference in calculated wear on the battery.

3 Likes

Does anybody know if Framework (or another company) has a Windows 10/11 application that can set a low and high limit between which charging does happen?
I know several major laptop manufacturers do supply those.
If you go for sustainability I would presume maximizing the battery lifespan should be high on the list.

1 Like

Setting such limits is not necessarily going to do much.

You can check the ware of the battery and the cycles it goes through.

The cycles give an indication of it’s history and longevity given a designed number of cycles

The wear gives another and Framework somewhere tout 20% drop in two years.

However the reading of such is questionable.

I have been monitoring wear and can see a reduction, not an increase in wear, each time I purposfully use a cycle by using until there is an automatic power off.

See this and other posts/topics for more detail.

Link to follow . . .

The latest See post 13 below and the topic below for detail. Although posted on the fairphone website the data is for my 11G Framework

Heat from quick charging is the main killer not the level of charge.

1 Like

@amoun thx for your quick reply an insights you have.
I do agree that heat is a killer and probably also one of the most important.
I’ve learned that if you do not use LiPo batteries the best and most reliable way is to store them around 50-60% charge level. This way you have the most secure way of a long battery life (over the years).
Since my laptop is plugged in main for 95% of the time, I would like to think that keeping the battery around that 55% marked is good practice. Of course I use the BIOS setting for that, but having an app to change it back to 100% before I travel would save me rebooting and closing my workflows.
That’s why I would love to see and app that gives these possibilities.

2 Likes

@amoun Is there a reason you chose 78%? I’ve read some users set the limit to 90%, others 80% and some as low as 60%. I would say 6 out of 7 days a week my laptop is at my desk so trying to find the right balance. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s primarily based on the voltage reached.

Full charge was around 17.5V 90% was around 17V and 80% was about 16.6V

I then have another mechanism which is more to do with not rounding figures and other obscure influences, which I won’t detail.

However the 78% is nearer 78.6& via HWiNFO64 and reads at 79% via windows which rounds to the nearest integer. Voltage is now 16.449 | 16.501

With my routine of occasioanl discharging and charging it would ‘appear’ I am increasing the capacity of the battery :slight_smile:

Latest for today

2 Likes

IIRC 60% is the recommended setting for long term usage on a dock/plugged in.

If you believe the material, keeping your phone at 40%-80% range will triple the usability of the battery.

1 Like

I’ve set 60% for now. Roughly once a month I need to visit a client and will bring it up to 90% on such days. No need to go to 100% as I never need more than a couple of hours unplugged. But maybe I should at times…

A chart I found that suggests 45-55 percent might be a sweet spot to longest battery life.

HHi

Although you may be correct, I have seen this years ago and note is for car batteries way back in 2013

I wouldn’t trust it at all.

I have yet to see any such analysis provide detail.

In the above what is missing

• Time for each discharge
  • i.e. 4500 cycles is night on 12 years at one a day if the time was 24 hours or 1 year of testing if every 2 hours

All seems like a ??? (Accelerated ageing ~ did they do all that in a week

So little data and if provide more it will always be too little and

But in theory if you keep between 50 and 50 it means it is continuously plugged in so no battery cycles but charging every 10% battery in a pain

Charging speed and voltage are more important than the ratio of SOC

Heat is the damaging factor, slow charging as the battery fills can keep the temperature down, fast charging at a lower SOC will cause damage.

How about this one