12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

It’s not a cop out. I think that people have unrealistic expectations. If they are going to bitch incessantly about it, in my opinion they should look elsewhere. Why put up with the hassle if one is constantly frustrated? That doesn’t mean that there should be no expectations, but it does mean that they should be tempered.

I mean, that’s just your opinion. Others have different opinions. None of us are inherently right, it’s just what we want and what we expect. Kinda pointless to “fight” against that.

That’s fair, and I’m not here to fight. I do read a certain sense of entitlement into some of the discussions, but that’s my interpretation, which comes with its own bias. I tend to be more patient, perhaps to a fault.

1 Like

I don’t think an expectation of regular open communication is unreasonable. And if people do have unreasonable expectations, the handful of optimistic updates from Framework with no follow-up correction/adjustment are partly responsible.

It takes very little effort to post a weekly update. Even less to say “we’ve had to put this on hold, we’ll post again when we resume development.”

A few people won’t be satisfied with anything short of an actual release. But most of the community has a lot of respect for Framework and is willing to act accordingly. I think it’s only fair to ask them to treat us with the same respect.

8 Likes

A few nits - I stated that I found the expectations to be unrealistic. I didn’t say that I found them unreasonable. Blaming it on Framework is (edit to note that it is an interesting take vs interesting) an interesting take. I also don’t find the communication frequency or infrequency to be disrespectful.

Welcome to the community, and have a good evening.

Hello everyone. We’re still heads down on a number of items and BIOS updates are still very much on the radar. Weekly updates, as someone mentioned/requested, is not a realistic expectation. Kieran and our software development partner are working on a great number of deliverables, and we’ll provide an update once we have one.

Thank you for your patience.

15 Likes

I think there is some misunderstanding here. I don’t think people were looking for a BIOS update each week; we just want someone from the team to communicate with us about the development progress weekly, or monthly so we don’t have to just wait like in the dark. A small amount of communication regularly is not an unreal expectation.

I understand that framework is just a small company, and I understand that I may wait for a longer update cycle or encounter more problems while paying more money because I choose to support a small company. That doesn’t mean I’m not bothered by the lack of update support though.

It’s been almost 8 months since we received the update that has issue. I upgraded to version 3.06 at the suggestion of the framework support team because of random shutdown issues, now half of the time my type A expansion card is unusable. “Maybe replacing AMD’s motherboard is the ultimate solution to everything”, but then again, I have to consider the possibility that I’ll run into new issues with the AMD mb and wait another 8 months.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. You are all respectable developers.

7 Likes

try demanding bios updates from HP or dell and see how far you get.

5 Likes

This entire situation is informative and unfortunate.

4 Likes

Thanks for the last update. Its nice that the dev team keep on saying every month they are working on it. We understand that this USB thing is a mageor challenge in the update process.

This update took longer than on the 11th gen and than with other pro vendors like Thinkpad. So it is “normal” that consumers, that knows how important BIOS updates are for the longevity of a computer, are worried of the updates timing.

As long as we get an update every 12 monthes for 5 years I am a happy customer. On my previous thinkpad I had updates every monthe at release and then every 6 monthes for 5 years.

Log of thinkpad E590 updates (12 updates in the 12 monthes of launch) :

PS: the latest kernel 6.1 (6.1.0-1017-oem) is ffreezing. In my own experience having an up to date BIOS help a looote with stability. Reason why I peronsally am looking forward to this BIOS update. EDIT : update to last 6.1 and back to stable system :wink:
(the 6.1.0-1016-oem works like a charm)

1 Like

Gentle reminder about Lenovo and a “whitelist” they have for atleast the wireless card. updates or not, I very much started to dislike my Lenovo because of this. id love a update for my framework (still have to try this beta). Lenovo is just very much experienced with pushing their updates (FW seems to combine many important onces into 1 by now) and eh, the updates slowed down now I see, 2 a year.

with my specific lenovo “thinkpad”, it was mostly small feature fixes, some cve’s and often unkown to us customers, but secretly they where removing ways to get rid of the whitelist, add downgrade prevention and eventually they patched Intel ME. last update for mine was a CVE only involving large businesses. so many updates, but not so many that directly impact me.

Fixing minor issues in a beta release in 7 months is unrealistic?
Announcing BIOS updates to support the new batteries and then releasing them in 3.5 months is unrealistic?

5 Likes

IMO the communication thing is not a big deal. Expecting development updates from a private company is kinda weird and unrealistic.

I do expect CVEs to be fixed within 90 days of discovery though. Taking well over 6 months to patch an active vulnerability is pretty wild.

7 Likes

@Iann_C we could take this elsewhere so we don’t add extra noise to this thread.

$ uname -r
6.1.0-1017-oem
$ uptime
 13:01:30 up 3 days, 22 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.24, 0.26

Dino

1 Like

I can only echo @BusyBoredom thoughts. I don’t care about development updates (especially weekly…). For what it’s worth I check this thread once in a while hoping to get good news…

But it is the only new device I’ve ever had, that after 1yr has not had a single bios update. Honestly speaking it’s disappointing for a product that claims to be sustainable/repairable to have such inexistent software updates (because it’s certainly not bug free :wink:).

7 Likes

I had pre-ordered the board upgrade but after experiencing issues today with my old BIOS version and checking this thread to see if there’s an update, I decided to cancel my pre-order. I just can’t in good conscience recommend anyone Framework if this is the state of their firmware support.

5 Likes

That’s possible, of course, but since I really only recently installed Fedora, I doubt it a bit. I would not even know where and how to do that.

@dalas.revo You would check GNOME Software and under settings or Sources it would tell you. Testing repo’s are not toggled on by default for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Thank you. Strangely, testing repos are toggled off, but the software center insists on having the update. For now, I’ll just ignore it and wait till I get an official announcement that it is available via some channel.

1 Like

How would you think of Framework if they released a buggy bios update once a month ? Sustainable/repairable has nothing to do with frequent updates. Meaningful updates are what you’re probably after, and it is what Framework is trying to deliver.

1 Like