12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release

Oh you’re right!!
I just checked on the old 3.06 Beta page, and there are exactly the same pictures.

I left the laptop for a few hours unplugged and turned off. After i came home, i re-plugged everything, turned the laptop on and with screen flickering and a few more seconds during the boot process than before the update i have the internal and external screens working in Fedora 39. Even after sleep my external screen comes back to life.
I didnt do anything else! Hope you get your external screen to work again!

2 Likes

So after reading your comment it worked! I turn the computer off, I unplugged all the ports then replugged everything, turned on and it’s working again
Thx!

5 Likes

Hi, I do not have a display attached via eDP. I can’t think of anything unusual about the setup.

1 Like

Perhaps we can break them into a few separate EFI Shell updaters?

Everyone, please, please help us help you.

I realize this will feel like a lot, but I actually have trimmed this down to the bare bones details.

We very much need the following to track down where things are failing OR succeeding:

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: (Use this guide to get access to the mainboard)

• SYS CONFIG: (i7, i5, specific model details, get the details from the motherboard sticker, same location as above)

• RAM: Brand and how much, 1 or 2 sticks

• SSD: Brand/model and how large is the capacity. If removed, please indicate.

• Wi-Fi: Which wifi card? If removed, please indicate.

• External Devices/Other: Anything attached? If so, what and how? If not, please indicate.

• EXPANSION CARD TYPES: What cards were inserted? Example: 2x Display Port, 2x USB-A

• BIOS VERSION: Which BIOS version were on on before attempting the flash?

• DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: If known and if using Windows.

• OS VERSION: if Windows, 10 or 11? If Linux, which distro and release version? For Arch, this would be Arch, fully updated or not, please indicate.

• FAIL RATIO: Can you reliably reproduce this issue 100% of the time? Is it only 50% of the time? Occurs randomly?

• STEP TO REPRODUCE: EFI Shell via USB drive, Windows package, and the steps you recall taking. Just do your best. I realize no one will remember all of this.
    Step 1 -
    Step 2 -
    Step 3 -
    Etc, Etc.

• OBSERVED RESULT: How it failed, what you saw on the screen.

• EXPECTED RESULT: Obviously this one, we expect it to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.

• ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: If you were able to recover, walk us through this process.

• EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: For USB flash drives, Generic or the brand.

Again, I realize this may feel like a lot, please remember to:

• Use the above template in your reply. This is for those who have not posted yet and for those who have. Please avoid word walls, we need to use this template please.

• If you are unsure of something, please state this in the template.

Thank you.

9 Likes

1240P, 3.06 → 3.08 (Windows .msi), csme v0:16.1.30.2269:
Tested external monitor with USB-C → DP on both sides, USB-C → USB-C on both sides, HDMI → HDMI on left side (forgot to check the other side) - everything works under Archlinux.

Only strange observation: progress bar went slowly from 0 to 100 %, then back maybe to 95 %, stayed there for a couple of minutes (enough to get a coffee), display went black and green LED on the left started to light up (power on the right), stayed black long enough to make me nervous, rebooted, booting into HAIKU didn’t work at first (but after powering off and on again).

Edit: Only now noticed the template, but I’ll leave it as is since everything did work.

2 Likes

Folks, please, please, please use the template. Just fill out as much as possible, fill in unsure where unsure.

We need to find the common threads of fail and success.

I will send everyone who does a virtual high five and a big thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First of all thank you guys for investigation these issues! Hopefully we will get these updates going much faster than before with a better quality. :slight_smile:

Here is my report:

FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANDACP04, FRANDACPA430240021

SYS CONFIG: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1240P

RAM: Kingston Fury Impact 32GB (2x16GB), KF3200C20S4/16G, DDR4 3200 MT/s

SSD: Samsung SSD 980 PRO (1TB)

Wi-Fi: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210

External Devices/Other: Nothing else was attached to the laptop.

EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 
  Display is top most: 
  USB-C, top-left (used for charging during UEFI update)
  Audio Extension Card, bottom-left
  USB-C, top-right
  USB-A, bottom-right (used for EFI Update!)

BIOS VERSION: Factory stock 3.05
DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: not possible, using Fedora Silverblue

OS VERSION: Fedora Linux 39.20240110.0 (Kinoite) (6.6.9-200.fc39.x86_64), with Universal Blue

FAIL RATIO: Not able to reproduce, happened at first try. Tried it again today and the update went through without any problems.

STEP TO REPRODUCE: 
Step 0 - Have the laptop charged at 100%
Step 1 - Plug in USB Stick with EFI files
Step 2 - Boot into the UEFI
Step 3 - Load Optimal settings to reset bios
Step 4 - Disable Secure Boot
Step 5 - Save and Exit the UEFI
Step 6 - Press "F12" to enter the Boot Options
Step 7 - Select the USB Stick with EFI Files
Step 8 - Connect charger to top-left USB-C port
Step 9 - Press enter to start Update

OBSERVED RESULT: If I remember correctly it failed on line 116, like other peoples update.

EXPECTED RESULT: Obviously this one, we expect it to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.

ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: I first tried to restart after the failed update, after that I rebooted into the BIOS to reset it again. This did not fix the issue of the ports unable to charge. After that I opened the device and remove the following components:
- SSD
- Battery
- Both RAM sticks
- CMOS battery

I left the device unplugged for around one minute. The ability to charge and go through the update was possible after this!

EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Generic 8GB USB 3.0 Stick

EDIT:
I might have to note that the Intel Management Engine was not updated during this update. I had to update it manually by booting into the EFI updater tool from you guys, going into the firmware folder and then typing FWUpdLcl.efi /F FWupdate.bin

2 Likes

Mine worked on the first try. Here are the details of the system.

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: 12th gen Framework 13, FRANMACPA422450030
  • SYS CONFIG: i5-1240p
  • RAM: Crucial CT8G4SRA32A.M4FE (2x8GB) DDR4 3200
  • SSD: Samsung 980 PRO (1TB)
  • Wi-Fi: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210
  • External Devices/Other: Wireless Mouse attached to a USB type A port
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2x USB C in the back, 1x USB-A Front right, 1x HDMI front left. USB C back left used for charging plugged in during update.
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.0.6
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: Using W11_2022_07_26
  • OS VERSION: Windows 11 (Insider build Canary)
  • FAIL RATIO: Used the Windows package and worked first pass.
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE: No Failure
  • OBSERVED RESULT: NA
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Obviously this one, we expect it to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME:
2 Likes

Well, okay then…

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: I don’t have the time to open it up now to look at the mainboard (btw, what’s a failure SKU#???) - FRANDA0074
  • SYS CONFIG: Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
  • RAM: 2 x 16 GB Corsair
  • SSD: Samsung 980 1 TB (EFI partition 1 GB)
  • Wi-Fi: Intel AX210
  • External Devices/Other: only power in right USB-C
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2 x USB-C (back left and right), 1 x USB-A (front right), 1 x microSD (front left)
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.06 (updated from 3.04 first via LVFS, then Windows .msi)
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: Which driver package? The only one available from Framework?
  • OS VERSION: Windows 11 (fully updated), Arch (fully updated), Haiku (fully updated nightly), OpenBSD (fully updated current) - update started via 3.08 .msi file from Windows
  • FAIL RATIO: 0 - well, it worked with the first attempt…
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE: Windows package
    Step 1 - downloaded .msi under Arch
    Step 2 - updated all operating systems
    Step 3 - copied .msi to another partition under Windows
    Step 4 - double-clicked on .msi and told (3? times) to proceed anyway → update started to run, green progress bar to 100 %, progress bar back to 95 %, green LED on the left and black display, laptop rebooted afterwards, reached rEFInd menu
    Step 5 - tried to start into Haiku, got stuck
    Step 6 - pressed power button for ~ 10 s → laptop shut off
    Step 7 - pressed power button again → laptop started
    Step 8 - F2 to enter “BIOS”, checked versions → everything updated
    Step 9 - rebooted, chose Haiku from rEFInd menu → everything works
  • OBSERVED RESULT: It updated without major problems.
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: Powered off and on.
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: No USB flash drives present.
2 Likes

As I mentioned above, update for me went smoothly. But I noticed in the BIOS, intel CSME version did not match the one mentioned in the updated component versions, while everything else does match.

See img that states all went fine after the update. (This is my second time flashing the bios)

BIOS screen after the second time re-flashing.

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: 12th Gen Framework 13 - FRANDACPA423830076
  • SYS CONFIG: Intel 12th Gen i5-1240p
  • RAM: Crucial, 2x16GB - CT2K16G4SFRA32A - DDR4 3200 MT/s
  • SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB - CT1000P5PSSD8
  • Wi-Fi: Intel, Wifi 6 AX210
  • External Devices/Other: None
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3 USB C, 1 USB A.
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.0.6
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: N/A, Using Fedora Linux
  • OS VERSION: Fedora Linux 39, KDE spin
  • OBSERVED RESULT: BIOS shows Intel CSME version 16.0.15.18.10, see attached pictures.
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Should be 16.1.30.2269.
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Sand disk dual 128GB

EDIT: Thanks to @leorize and @Maximilian_Schmitt to point out, binaries are there, I have manually updated Intel CSME version to the correct updated version through the efi shell method.

2 Likes

You are all amazing! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

Please keep them coming using this as your guide, success or fail.

5 Likes

Ok, here’s a repost using the template:

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: SKU: FRANDACP08, Serial: FRANDACPA82395000J
  • SYS CONFIG: Intel 12th Gen i7-1280P
  • RAM: Crucial, 2x32GB, CT32G4SFD832A
  • SSD: SK hynix Platinum P41/PC801, 2TB (present during update)
  • Wi-Fi: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX210 (present during update)
  • External Devices/Other: None
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 1x USB-C (for power), 1x USB-A (for the flash drive). I removed the other two prior to updating.
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.05
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: n/a
  • OS VERSION: Debian Linux (trixie/testing)
  • FAIL RATIO: I’ve only tried once; don’t want to risk more issues by trying again.
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Step 1 - Unpack UEFI updater to USB drive, reboot, press F12, and select USB drive to boot from.
    Step 2 - Start update and wait. Eventually I get a script redirection error (I think this was after step 2 of 5, but I don’t remember) and am presented with a EFI prompt.
    Step 3 - Manually reboot, F12, select USB device again.
    Step 4 - BIOS updater tells me to plug in power, even though it already is (charging LED on side of laptop is OFF).
    Step 5 - Try unplugging and replugging power cable – does not work.
    Step 6 - Move power cable to each of the other 3 USB-C ports – does not work.
    Step 7 - Turn off laptop and unplug, and wait 10 minutes.
    Step 8 - Plug laptop back into power, note that charging LED on side of laptop now turns on.
    Step 9 - Turn on laptop, F12, select USB drive to boot.
    Step 10 - BIOS flashing process proceeds to completion successfully.
    Step 11 - Verify versions of updated components. Everything checks out as being updated, except the CSME is still on the old version (16.0.15.1810).
  • OBSERVED RESULT: Flash process failed in the middle and could not be straightforwardly recovered due to laptop refusing to charge for a while. CSME firmware did not get updated, even after the updater claimed everything updated successfully.
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Flash successfully, with no errors during the process or recovery steps needed, and all components should update to the new versions.
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: (see steps to reproduce above)
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: 32GB Samsung Pro microSD card plugged into a USB microSD card reader (this one: Amazon.com), which was plugged into a USB-A port.
2 Likes

Just a note for Linux users: you can also get this at runtime by running the following commands:

sudo dmidecode --string system-sku-number
sudo dmidecode --string system-serial-number
sudo dmidecode --string processor-version
sudo dmidecode --type 17  # RAM information

And if you want to find the CSME version without rebooting into the BIOS, you can run mei-amt-check (the example output in the README doesn’t show versions when AMT is not provisioned, but a later update to the repo makes the program show versions regardless).

5 Likes

Great stuff, and excellent point!

You are all amazing! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

Please keep them coming using this as your guide, success or fail.

4 Likes

For a more “graphical” approach: if on KDE, processor and serial number are also available from “Info Center”/“About this system” and CSME version from “Firmware Security”.

2 Likes

As someone that bugged you guys in the 3.06 BIOS thread, now that it is finally released, I at least owe you a test :wink: :

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANMACPA4238500WT

• SYS CONFIG: i5 1240P

• RAM: GSKILL 2x16GB 3200

• SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

• Wi-Fi: (stock) Intel AX210NGW

• External Devices/Other: -

• EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 1x USB-C

• BIOS VERSION: 3.05

• DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: N/A

• OS VERSION: Fedora 39

• FAIL RATIO: 10%

• STEP TO REPRODUCE: EFI Shell via USB drive
    Step 1 - Flash USB drive as instructed
    Step 2 - Disable secure boot, set battery limit back to 80%
    Step 3 - Remove all expansion cards except 1
    Step 4 - Plugin power to top left port
    Step 5 - Boot to Flash tool, start flashing
    Step 6 - Failure: Error Status: Invalid Parameter (line number 97)
    Step 7 - Remove SSD
    Step 8 - Plugin Power adapter directly into mainboard port on bottom left
    Step 9 - Boot to Flash tool & successful flash
    Step 10 - Install SSD and confirm CSME version
    Step 11 - Failure: CSME version has not been updated
    Step 12 - Boot into Flash Tool
    Step 13 - Search for binaries and use FWUpdLcl.efi /F FWupdate.bin to flash manually
    Step 14 - SUCCESS

• OBSERVED RESULT: (Eventually) SUCCESS

• EXPECTED RESULT: SUCCESS

• ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:

• Error Status: Invalid Parameter (line number 97)
      • remove SSD from Laptop
      • move power adapter from USB-C card upper left to lower left and plug directly into mainboard
    • CSME has not been updated
      • boot into flash tool and press S to get to shell
      • navigate into firmware folder framework-firmware-update/firmware
      • execute FWUpdLcl.efi /F FWupdate.bin to manually update
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Samsung USB-C drive 64GB

From looking at the BIOS I can confirm the following updates have been applied:

Component Expected Version Status
BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.1.30.2269 OK
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK
2 Likes

Mine worked on the first try. Here are the details of the system.

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: 12th gen Framework 13, FRANDACPA82254000Q
  • SYS CONFIG: i7-1280p
  • RAM: Crucial CT2K32G4SFD832A (2x32GB) DDR4 3200
  • SSD: Samsung 980 PRO (2TB)
  • Wi-Fi: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210
  • External Devices/Other:
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3x USB-C, 1x 2TB SEC. USB-C back left used for charging plugged in during update. USB-C back right used for EFI boot
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.0.4
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION:
  • OS VERSION: Ubuntu 22.04
  • FAIL RATIO: Used the EFI boot package and worked first pass.
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE: No Failure
  • OBSERVED RESULT: NA
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME:

From looking at the BIOS I can confirm the following updates have been applied:

BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.0.15.1810 ??
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK

Thanks to @jmariondev I noticed that my CSME update didn’t actually happen.

Following this step took care of it.

Intel CSME 16.1.30.2269 Updated
3 Likes

My update was successful on the first try, though I had to manually choose the boot device between reboots. The machine kept wanting to boot back into the OS.

Notably, I also started the process at 90% battery and reset the BIOS settings to default before updating.

• SUCCESS SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANDACP06 (purchased as DIY)
  • SYS CONFIG: i7-1260P
  • RAM: 32GB, Crucial DDR4-3200 (kit supplied by DIY bundle)
  • SSD: 1TB WD Black SN750 (supplied in DIY bundle), not removed
  • Wi-Fi: Intel AX210 (supplied in DIY bundle), not removed
  • External Devices/Other: none
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3x USB-C module, 1x USB-A module (with updater flash drive). Back-right used for USB-C PD input, front right used for flash drive.
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.06
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: N/A
  • OS VERSION: Fedora Silverblue 39
  • FAIL RATIO: Success on first try
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Step 1 - Laptop attached to power supply, 90% battery
    Step 2 - Reset BIOS to defaults
    Step 3 - Boot into EFI updater
    Step 4 - After updater reboots, manually re-select EFI updater flash drive (on its own it booted the OS instead). This happened a couple times.
    Step 5 - Success
  • OBSERVED RESULT: Success, expected output
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Success, expected output
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0, 32GB

In line with the reply above me, I see all good versions except for ME which doesn’t seem to have updated:

BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.0.15.1810 ??
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK
2 Likes