12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release

Thanks, I have been through the process again, with the similar issues as I detailed first time, and the version numbers still have not changed.

1 Like

@M_B1 Ohā€¦ sorry to hear that.

i7-1280P from 3.06 beta via efi boot from usb, no problems, external usbc display working properly after update

2 Likes

Hey, in the screenshot from @Kieran_Levin too the final version number is 3.06!
So, either youā€™re good to go, either even Framework staff machines have something going on.
(edit: no, itā€™s just old screenshots)
Are some of your ports still not working?

What are the steps you have done to update? Which updater did you use? What is your hardware configuration?

Honestly I am not sure. I swapped from using USB-C monitor to HDMI, which does appear to work from the right side (which was not working after the failed update at least initially). Iā€™ve spent enough time on this for now.

1 Like

But at this point I would try one last time!
Because in my case the faulty ports were the reason of the first failures (telling me the battery level is too low at 20% and ignoring that I plugged the AC, etc).
After retimers and PD firmware were updated, the following flashing resulted in getting 3.08.

The fourth (or maybe fifth? hard to tell) update always tells me it fails because the battery is not connected (I am running in the CoolerMaster case). I canā€™t see this situation changing just by trying againā€¦

Edit: I connected the battery and this time the part of the update that actually flashes the BIOS from 3.05 to 3.08 appears to have done its job. My final version numbers are as follows:

PD: 0.1.2c
Retimer: 310-207 (so one has updated, one has not?)
Bios: 3.08

In UEFI, I can see:
GOP 21.0.1061
EC 4ae1c89
Microcode 4.29

All of these match the updated version numbers in the original post or screenshot, except the one half of the retimer. However Intel ME is still on 16.0.15.1810, and I canā€™t find anywhere to check SI or TXT.

1 Like

@M_B1 Yay!!!
Weird for the retimerā€¦
If you have time, maybe try again lol!
Try while changing the side of the AC maybe? And/or of the USB key? Maybe it needs the unupgraded side to be free of connections?

1 Like

I tried the update again with everything plugged in on the other side, but no joy.

Instead, with the battery connected I just used the Windows updater. That is so much easier and really Iā€™d suggest everyone using the external CoolerMaster case goes directly to that, rather than wrestling with it via EFI/USB.

Intel ME now shows latest version in UEFI, and if I boot from the EFI updater, it tells me both retimers are latest version too.

2 Likes

This is awesome. Thank you so much to the Framework Team for working with the firmware team and come up with this 3.08 Beta!

One question: When the .msi file is ran within Windows, how does it pass the firmware data to the various components, for them to flash post-reboot? Does it write something into the EFI partition, or communicating via different methods?

The reason Iā€™m asking is, my internal drive is configured somewhat unusually, with required decryption prior to each boot likely altering how the EFI partition (or the overall partition scheme) works. Iā€™m concerned if the .msi update package will still function properly? And, if I should run the update package within a fresh external WinToGo drive?

Any information is greatly appreciated, especially considering I donā€™t know nearly as much about computer as some of you folks. Thank you!

Will this make it to the Chromebook? Is there any tracker to see that?

The Framework Chromebook does not use the same kind of system firmware as the rest of the Framework Laptops 13. It is also not subject to the same UEFI firmware vulnerabilities.

Updates to the Framework Chromebook are distributed by Google only.

9 Likes

Did the install here, via EFI updater, and it completed successfully. However, I did get the ā€œredirection errorā€, and it happened while the PD ports were disabled, so after I rebooted, it wouldnā€™t let me proceed, as it didnā€™t believe the charger was plugged in. I tried the other three ports, but no luck.

I shut down, unplugged the charging cable, waited about 10 minutes, plugged it back in, and was relieved to see the charging light go back on. Turned the laptop back on, hit F12, selected the USB stick to boot from again, and the update continued until completion.

One scary bit is that after one of the reboots, the screen stayed blank for a good 45-60 seconds; I was really worried something bad happened. Fortunately it eventually showed the Framework logo and continued with the flashing process.

Board: i7-1280P
Old BIOS: 3.05
New BIOS reports as 3.08
Havenā€™t tried any TB devices yet.

I assume the script redirection error occurs because the USB port where the USB stick is plugged in gets disabled. I would suggest that, at the beginning, the updater should mount a RAM disk, copy all needed files off the USB drive to the RAM disk, and run itself from there instead.

3 Likes

I got an error on line 116 and then had to turn off the laptop. To my surprise, when I turned it back on, all the ports refused to charge the laptop which prevented me from updating it further. Following an earlier suggestion, I turned it off and let it stay off for a minute and then turned it back on. When it turned on, everything went back to normal and I had to restart the update. There were no errors afterward.

1 Like

Any progress on how to solve it?.. Iā€™m frustrated

I found that if you get the redirect error and your system stops charging after reboot, simply hold the power button for 10s should reset the EC and get the charger recognized again.

3 Likes

Can someone confirm this but it appears to me that the EFI updater doesnā€™t run the CSME update. You can check the CSME version in the BIOS, it stayed at the old version for me after flashing.

I found that the binaries are already bundled and simply running FWUpdLcl.efi -F FWupdate.bin in firmware folder would perform the update, so it might just be an oversight in the updater script.

5 Likes

Confirmed from my end; after a seemingly-successful update, CSME version is still 16.0.15.1810.

Do we know whatā€™s changed between the CSME versions? I donā€™t particularly care about the CSME (wish it didnā€™t exist, frankly), so if there are no security fixes, Iā€™m fine not bothering to update it manuallyā€¦

Thereā€™s one affecting the older version, but only for vPro wifi chipsets so we should be clear: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00699.html