12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release

Great stuff, and excellent point!

You are all amazing! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

Please keep them coming using this as your guide, success or fail.

4 Likes

For a more ā€œgraphicalā€ approach: if on KDE, processor and serial number are also available from ā€œInfo Centerā€/ā€œAbout this systemā€ and CSME version from ā€œFirmware Securityā€.

2 Likes

As someone that bugged you guys in the 3.06 BIOS thread, now that it is finally released, I at least owe you a test :wink: :

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANMACPA4238500WT

• SYS CONFIG: i5 1240P

• RAM: GSKILL 2x16GB 3200

• SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

• Wi-Fi: (stock) Intel AX210NGW

• External Devices/Other: -

• EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 1x USB-C

• BIOS VERSION: 3.05

• DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: N/A

• OS VERSION: Fedora 39

• FAIL RATIO: 10%

• STEP TO REPRODUCE: EFI Shell via USB drive
    Step 1 - Flash USB drive as instructed
    Step 2 - Disable secure boot, set battery limit back to 80%
    Step 3 - Remove all expansion cards except 1
    Step 4 - Plugin power to top left port
    Step 5 - Boot to Flash tool, start flashing
    Step 6 - Failure: Error Status: Invalid Parameter (line number 97)
    Step 7 - Remove SSD
    Step 8 - Plugin Power adapter directly into mainboard port on bottom left
    Step 9 - Boot to Flash tool & successful flash
    Step 10 - Install SSD and confirm CSME version
    Step 11 - Failure: CSME version has not been updated
    Step 12 - Boot into Flash Tool
    Step 13 - Search for binaries and use FWUpdLcl.efi /F FWupdate.bin to flash manually
    Step 14 - SUCCESS

• OBSERVED RESULT: (Eventually) SUCCESS

• EXPECTED RESULT: SUCCESS

• ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:

• Error Status: Invalid Parameter (line number 97)
      • remove SSD from Laptop
      • move power adapter from USB-C card upper left to lower left and plug directly into mainboard
    • CSME has not been updated
      • boot into flash tool and press S to get to shell
      • navigate into firmware folder framework-firmware-update/firmware
      • execute FWUpdLcl.efi /F FWupdate.bin to manually update
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Samsung USB-C drive 64GB

From looking at the BIOS I can confirm the following updates have been applied:

Component Expected Version Status
BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.1.30.2269 OK
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK
2 Likes

Mine worked on the first try. Here are the details of the system.

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: 12th gen Framework 13, FRANDACPA82254000Q
  • SYS CONFIG: i7-1280p
  • RAM: Crucial CT2K32G4SFD832A (2x32GB) DDR4 3200
  • SSD: Samsung 980 PRO (2TB)
  • Wi-Fi: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210
  • External Devices/Other:
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3x USB-C, 1x 2TB SEC. USB-C back left used for charging plugged in during update. USB-C back right used for EFI boot
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.0.4
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION:
  • OS VERSION: Ubuntu 22.04
  • FAIL RATIO: Used the EFI boot package and worked first pass.
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE: No Failure
  • OBSERVED RESULT: NA
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Obviously this one, we expect it to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME:

From looking at the BIOS I can confirm the following updates have been applied:

BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.0.15.1810 ??
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK

Thanks to @jmariondev I noticed that my CSME update didnā€™t actually happen.

Following this step took care of it.

Intel CSME 16.1.30.2269 Updated
3 Likes

My update was successful on the first try, though I had to manually choose the boot device between reboots. The machine kept wanting to boot back into the OS.

Notably, I also started the process at 90% battery and reset the BIOS settings to default before updating.

• SUCCESS SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANDACP06 (purchased as DIY)
  • SYS CONFIG: i7-1260P
  • RAM: 32GB, Crucial DDR4-3200 (kit supplied by DIY bundle)
  • SSD: 1TB WD Black SN750 (supplied in DIY bundle), not removed
  • Wi-Fi: Intel AX210 (supplied in DIY bundle), not removed
  • External Devices/Other: none
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3x USB-C module, 1x USB-A module (with updater flash drive). Back-right used for USB-C PD input, front right used for flash drive.
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.06
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: N/A
  • OS VERSION: Fedora Silverblue 39
  • FAIL RATIO: Success on first try
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Step 1 - Laptop attached to power supply, 90% battery
    Step 2 - Reset BIOS to defaults
    Step 3 - Boot into EFI updater
    Step 4 - After updater reboots, manually re-select EFI updater flash drive (on its own it booted the OS instead). This happened a couple times.
    Step 5 - Success
  • OBSERVED RESULT: Success, expected output
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Success, expected output
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0, 32GB

In line with the reply above me, I see all good versions except for ME which doesnā€™t seem to have updated:

BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.0.15.1810 ??
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK
2 Likes

The BIOS update is in the Beta stage for a reason. Framework would have done internal testing before releasing the update to the community otherwise, it wouldnā€™t have been released at all. However, since they canā€™t test for every case, that is why it is currently a limited release (if you go to the driver and BIOS page for 12th gen, youā€™ll notice it states " *No new BIOS available"). A limited release allows the team to see if there are any issues that didnā€™t pop up in their testing and address them before a wider release. Only BIOS updates that have become official are directly linked on the respective pages.

If you decided to run the Beta BIOS update, you choose to accept the risk that there may be issues with the process. Most importantly, you are under no obligation to perform the update if you arenā€™t comfortable with the potential risk and the laptop will continue to function fine without the BIOS update.

If you are having issues with the update, report them (as thatā€™s the whole point of this thread). The team is doing their best to address any issues. However, bashing them is completely unwarranted.

9 Likes

Revised my reply after I read yours. My ME version didnā€™t update either

3 Likes
  • FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANGACP-A4223400FT
  • SYS CONFIG: i5-1240p
  • RAM: 2 sticks, 16gb total. Itā€™s a random kit from Lenovo.
  • SSD: 1tb p35 gold.
  • Wi-Fi: Whatever comes in the base kit, I havenā€™t switched it.
  • External Devices/Other: Nothing connected other than the official power supply.
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 3x USB-C, 1x USB-A
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.04
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: Iā€™ve been updating my drivers with Intelā€™s default ones for the graphics and wifi instead of the Framework ones. All other drivers are Framework-specific.
  • OS VERSION: Windows 11.
  • FAIL RATIO: Was charging up from 0% and trying to install and it repeatedly happened; 100% failure rate.
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Step 1 - With battery at over 20% and power adapter plugged in, attempt to run BIOS update.
  • OBSERVED RESULT: ā€œThe installer can only be run on Framework Laptop 12 Gen Intel Core Mainboardsā€
  • EXPECTED RESULT: The laptop accepts the update.

Just updating here - it looks like using 3.08b (as given to Ray above who had this same issue) worked without problems :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANGACP04, FRANGACPA422340006
  • SYS CONFIG: 12th Gen Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-1240P
  • RAM: Crucial 8GB x 2
  • SSD: WD SN850X 1TB
  • Wi-Fi: Intel AX210
  • External Devices/Other: None
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2 x USB-C, 2 x USB-A
  • OS VERSION: Windows 11
  • FAIL RATIO: Worked first pass
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Using Windows package (3.08b)
  1. Double click to run the installer.
  2. A command line window popped out.
  3. I issued the reboot and selected the Windows item in Refind boot manager. (Dual boot Linux/Windows).
  4. A screen showing a system upgrade is being installed and a green progress bar appeared. System rebooted after a few minutes.
  5. Ran the installer again just in case but thereā€™s no system upgrade screen appearing this time.
  6. Rebooted to BIOS and confirmed the version matches the official description.
  • OBSERVED RESULT: Success
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Success
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD:
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Generic USB
BIOS 3.08 OK
Intel CSME 16.1.30.2269 OK
Microcode 4.29 OK
GOP 21.0.1061 OK
EC 4ea1c89 OK
PD 0.1.2C OK
1 Like
  • FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANDACPA4234ā€¦ (is this really necessary to be public? if so, ill edit, prefer to pm)
  • RAM: Crucial 32GB x 1
  • SSD: WD, SN850 2TB
  • Wi-Fi: AX210NGW
  • External Devices/Other: 1 Samsung 128GB usb 3.1 stick FAT32 with only updater files
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2x USB-C, 2x USB-A (Left lower was fitted with Samsung update stick. left upper was usb-c and was powered by official PSU)
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.04
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: none, using Linux
    (dual boot windows sometimes Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_driver_bundle_W11_2022_07_26 and Framework_HDMI_Card_3.0.16.105.exe (was run after performing hardware mod on 1 HDMI adapter I have, this was done on 24 Aug 2023, no bios updates)
  • OS VERSION: Arch Linux, last update 11 Jan 2024 (very recent), Windows 11 Pro , 22H2 22621.2861 (occasionally run this, once or twice a month)
  • FAIL RATIO: 1%*
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Update using steps 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Beta Release
    put files on USB stick, hold F12 (FW logo) and select USB.
    Due to me having a startup.nsh on my main EFI partition, it fails to load the one from USB, exit or DO NOT run your own startup.nsh, instead I switch to FS1:
    and start startup.nsh from fs1: (being the USB filesystem). Do this everytime it gets into uefi shell and it picks fs0 instead of fs1.
  • OBSERVED RESULT:
    Update seems to progress as to be expected, including a few reboots.
    No HDMI output on any side
  • EXPECTED RESULT: Update succeeds with working USB and HDMI
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: started windows, linux, looked in the bios. everything saw the USB HDMI adapter. switched off laptop, removed the battery from the main board. waited 10 seconds (or more). reconnected. switched on, saw colorful leds appears on both side leds. (again? during update i saw them as well) now HDMI works. COULD HAVE BEEN ME NOT CONNECTING HDMI right before these steps. might be a bork on my user side, all works now. update itself worked fine
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: USB stick, Samsung, 128GB FAT32

I might have borked on the HDMI side and this could mean all went good in the first place. I do note if you have a EFI partition with a startup.nsh file, it will first try to run that instead of the USB stored startup.nsh, press the key is mentioned to skip yours, switch to FS1: i assume is your usb device and then type startup.nsh. (I use the startup.nsh as a backup for if my arch install is broken)
all EFI variables where still in place and working after the update. HDMI module has mod applied https://dozuki-prod-us-east-1-guide-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/framework/guide_193_en_814.pdf (if there is any newer, can I have the new forum post or details?)

So my laptop now works as I expected it to be

Seems to me the EFI updater simply seems to miss setting a nextboot entry at some point.
It only did the first few steps and then booted me into my OS.
I use systemd-boot and had the FW updater on my nvmeā€™s ESP.
After noticing the partial update, I just re-ran it several times (I think it was 3 boots in total where I had to re-select ā€œEFI default loaderā€ in systemd boot) until it showed that everything was updated.
It did skip the CSME update as others mentioned above, possibly due to the interruption of the process, and I used the EFI shell executable I copied over from the Arch ISO to run FWUpdLcl.efi as others mentioned above and now Iā€™m all updated.

• I had started from 3.06
  • secureboot with custom keys (those stuck around)
  • had to re-create my boot entries since those got lost

External 4k monitor with PD support works.
USB-A issue is fixed.
External nvme via thunderbolt pci passthrough also still works. :slight_smile:
HDMI for movie nights also still works.

So all good here.

1 Like

intresting, maybe this is due to firmware update and secure boot? I dont have secure boot turned on and the boot entries are still there :thinking:

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: (canā€™t locate), FRANDACPA423240066
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB x2
  • SSD: WD SN770 500GB
  • Wi-Fi: Intel AX210
  • External Devices/Other: none
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2 x USB-C, 1 X HDMI, 1 x USB-A
  • OS VERSION: Windows 11
  • FAIL RATIO: One attempt
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE:
    Using Windows package (3.08b)
  1. Double click to run the installer.
  2. A command line window popped out.
  3. Rebooted Windows
  4. A screen showing a system upgrade is being installed and a green progress bar appeared. Just as it reached 100% the bar dropped back to something like 97% hung for a bit and then the System rebooted.
  5. System lit up again with the same upgrade screen with green progress bar but with screen flickering. Similar to what is seen in the attached video. It rebooted again before reaching 100%
  6. Once more with the upgrade screen and the flickering, went to get my phone to film it when I came back it had rebooted this time with the normal framework boot screen under all the flickering as seen in the video. flickering resolved once windows boots.
  7. Confirmed 3.08 is installed in msinfo32.

A> After opening the case to get serial info for this post. The screen stopped working all together, in or out of windows. I am able to connect to an external display (DP over USB-C) or remote into it and can see the screen is detected and appears functional to the system. The screen is dark and off.

• OBSERVED RESULT: Install succeeded?? but caused screen issue, or screen failed at a really bad time?
  • EXPECTED RESULT: expected to work and not bork my screen
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: would like to roll back to previous bios but unable to find a download for it! Will reach out to support.
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: n/a
2 Likes

If this only happened after opening the laptop, Iā€™d open it up again and have another look at the display cable (correct routing around the hinges?, connectors plugged in completely?, any kinks?, etc).

3 Likes

well this keeps getting stranger.

1. I tried reseating the display cable and then it stopped detecting the internal screen all together. (now I was worried I did break it).

2. Tried reseating it again and very closely checked the routing, all looked good.

3. Booted again and screen was flipping from detected and not detected on the display settings and I saw the backlight come on for a moment a few times. Disconnected the second screen and hopped into the remote desktop app on my phone. Hoping it could figure it out. After a bit the backlight came on and showed my desktop with loads of green snow (pixels) flowing upwards, that slowly dissipated over time. yay?!

4. Rebooted to make sure its still working. I have no display at all until the windows screen but then everything is looking fine.

Iā€™d really like a download link to the 3.06 bios so I can roll back and eliminate it as a variable for this screen issue!!!

Same boat. Use the same 3.08b file. Update was successful.

Computer was Batch 1 - i7-1260p.

1 Like

For anyone in the future. Framework support bailed me out. The support team is fantastic. I am now verifying if the bios components updated correctly, but after a few days of troubleshooting, I have my framework back up and running.

7 Likes

If you are up for it you might check the connection on the display side - that involves removing the display, so itā€™s a bit more involved. I would also open a Support ticket if you have not already done so. Obviously something isnā€™t right, and you need to be able to have a working system. Best of luck.

4 Likes

SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANDACP06 FRANDACPA62443001V

SYS CONFIG: 12th Gen Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-1260P

RAM:
Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FR
2 sticks of 16G, total 32G

SSD:
product: WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0
vendor: Sandisk Corp
size: 1TB
not removed

Wi-Fi:
product: Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz
vendor: Intel Corporation
not removed

External Devices/Other: none

EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2x USB-C, 1x USB-A, 1x micro-SD

BIOS VERSION: Factory original, I think it was 3.05

DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: n/a

OS VERSION: Debian Linux 12 on kernel 6.6.8-amd64 (kernel from Sid, rest from Stable)

FAIL RATIO: n/a

STEP TO REPRODUCE:
Using EFI shell via USB drive.
Step 1 - Unzip file to bootable USB drive.
Step 2 - Reboot, go straight into the flash update screen.
Step 3 - Remember that I didnā€™t disable secureboot like I was supposed to.
Step 4 - reboot into BIOS settings, disable secureboot
Step 5 - Reboot, go straight into the flash update screen.
Step 6 - Press enter to begin flash
Step 7 - See this (note this is abridged; I can upload a complete photo if desired):
Flashing Firmware 1: Current mode:2, starting row:22, Total rows: 117.
ā€¦
Flashing Firmware 2: Current mode:2, starting row:118, Total rows: 501.
ā€¦
Flash completed successfully.
ā€¦
Unable to redirect file.
Script Error Status: Invalid Parameter (line number 116)
FS0:\framework-firmware-update\firmware>
ā€¦
Step 8 - Waited for about 5 minutes to see if anything will happen, nothing happened.
Step 9 - power cycle machine.
Step 10 - BIOS update starts again, but displays a message saying power adaptor is not connected.
Step 11 - I moved the power adaptor from left side to right side, and front to back. Didnā€™t help.
Step 12 - Unplugged the power adaptor, turned off the laptop, waited about 5 minutes.
Step 14 - Plugged it back in, put the bootable USB back in, and powered laptop on.
Step 15 - Straignt into flash update screen. Press enter to begin flash.
Step 16 - some time later, flash update was complete and successful.

OBSERVED RESULT: First attempt was ā€œUnable to redirect fileā€ (see step 7). Second attempt (after letting the EC reboot) was successful.

EXPECTED RESULT: Obviously this one, we expect it to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.

ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: See step 12 above (unplug, power down, and wait).

EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: generic USB

1 Like