12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release

Interesting, because I get that same behavior on 3.06, but only on Windows and never on Linux. Except with the added awesomeness that the machine sometimes is also cooking itself to death fan on max the whole time it’s supposed to be turned off.

It was long enough ago I don’t remember the details, but I must have set whatever needs to be set in the bios to avoid the “modern standby” problem ages ago. At least the machine sleeps and wakes in linux fine.

I almost never boot into Windows and usually only for some short specific task, and I just never happened to let it sleep before. Just the last couple days I did by chance. Over the last couple days I’ve let it sleep only about 3 times, but it bricked itself every one of those times. The first time the machine was also hot and the fan was running full speed. The other times the fan was only medium-low, but even that is remarkable because normally I never hear the fan at all while actually running and working, except for short obvious load times like compiling or running a vm or something, let alone asleep. That just blows my mind.

This is a little-used install and so it’s not much touched or customized. I don’t think I ever touched the power/sleep settings in Windows yet. I see now sleep and turn-off were both set to the same 10 minutes when plugged in. Since the settings said two different things for the same time, I’ll have to change those to see whether it’s the sleep or the turn-off that bricks it. And re-investigate the details of modern-standby to make sure I actually have that right.

I can tolerate Windows having this problem since I never use it, but I would really really not want to have this problem under the OS I actually use every day.

3.08b installed without incident.
I hope I didn’t just do something dumb. :slight_smile:

I have the same thing on my 12th gen with factory bios ! If I close the lide, it will coock like hell. I thought my laptop was dead last time… the all frame was hot at around 60 degrees ! You could n t handle the laptop !
I don t have it when I click manually on the suspend of linux, I have it when it is trigered by the lide… very anoying. Ubuntu mate 22.04 kernel 6.1 OEM

Using Windows 11, I downloaded the link for the BIOS 3.08 and installed it.
It asked me to reboot and I saw a progress bar going up to 100% then after rebooting, no more screen. Everything went black.
I waited a while then force it to power off.
When starting, the screen is black and there are two green lights for 40 seconds then they go off unless I plug the power.
I hear the fans… that’s it.
What can I do?

• FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER:
  • SYS CONFIG: i5-1240P
  • RAM: Corsair CMSX16GX4M1A3200C22 2x 16GB
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVOPlus 1TB
  • Wi-Fi: Came with laptop Intel AX210NGW
  • External Devices/Other: nothing during installation
  • EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 2x usb-c, 1 hdmi, 1 usb-a
  • BIOS VERSION: 3.06
  • DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: up to date or with higher version than listed on website
  • OS VERSION: Windows, 11
  • FAIL RATIO: 100% of the time
  • STEP TO REPRODUCE: Boot… black screen
  • OBSERVED RESULT: black screen, green lights for about a minute, then off unless the usb-c charger is connected
  • EXPECTED RESULT: something on the screen :slight_smile:
  • ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: up to now, none
  • EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME:

How long did you wait approximately?

You can try to remove power, wait for 10 minutes, then press the power on button for 20 seconds.

I waited at least 10 minutes one time and even more the second time.
So the tech support wrote me quickly with some procedures to do.
Removing all the modules… no luck
removing ssd, memory and wifi… no luck
removing the little battery and the main battery, wait 20 minutes and replug everything… no luck
then the next day, they asked me
to remove the bezel, removing the display cable, checking it and replug everything… no luck
finally, they asked me to put only one RAM in slot 0 and remove the one in slot 1 and ssd
And I saw the screen flashing and finally got the Framework logo!
I installed back the second RAM and SSD and the system started the update again and shut down the computer.
I start it again, got again an update and shut down.
The third time, I was able to get back to my Windows! :slight_smile:

So I’M VERY HAPPY of Framework’s support!

2 Likes

I am seriously tempted to give this a whirl lol

Did you have success? I guess I have waited over a year from 3.06, so I may as well just keep holding out (to hopefully not completely bork my system) but it hurts knowing that it’s quasi-available.

3 Likes

I had succes, the HDMI was fixed when I rebooted (maybe my linux itself hadnt detected it right the first time?) used those EFI files on a usb stick. had no secureboot on nor bitlocker. (and because of a nsh file on my default efi partition, I needed to break the autoloading and select the usb stick fs1: and then load their nsh file. if you dont have odd efishell stuff from playing arround, their instructions should work

as I state, my update usb storage was on the left side. no particular reason for why i did so tho.

Updated through Windows. All USB ports seem to work with power and my dock.

1 Like

I hope that Framework has been able to gain valuable information about the installation process and the stability of the firmwares in the last two months of this beta version.
But - without wishing to be impatient - what happens now? Will we see another beta release in the foreseeable future? And will it only affect the installation process or also the firmware code? Or will there even be a final version?
Related to this is the question of whether those of us who have already installed the 3.08 beta should continue testing specific areas of our device. And perhaps more importantly, should others still install this beta and log it, or should they wait for a new version?

5 Likes

My money is on another year of no news. I don’t think Framework has the manpower to provide BIOS support to all their devices, and I don’t think they are doing anything meaningful about that (I don’t see any job postings for firmware devs). They’ve made no public commitment at all regarding firmware support duration for their products and I think that’s intentional. I think they’re betting on most consumers not caring about firmware support.

I know a few months ago they said they were getting more help from Insyde, but most of the problems we’ve had over the past 2 years have been installation related or otherwise pretty specific to Framework so it looks to me like outside help isn’t a great answer to their firmware problem.

So I’m doubting Framework’s firmware struggles will go away anytime soon.

9 Likes

This is actually a really good point. I don’t think that’s entirely the case for the older 3.06 beta BIOS, but for 3.08, the issues seem to mainly be about the installer. The issues around the script redirection error, unable to (re)start the updater because of PD getting disabled, ME update not getting applied, etc. feel like installer problems to me. For the people that have updated successfully… things seem more or less fine?

While I’ve been a critic of Framework here (and in the previous beta thread), I do think we need to understand that this BIOS update is weird. Much of the complexity here likely comes from all the updates required for Thunderbolt certification. A more “normal” update would likely not suffer these problems.

So while I do still find it concerning that FW doesn’t seem to be able to get enough resources behind making the installer work right all the time, I don’t think this experience is going to be representative of most BIOS updates FW releases. Hopefully in the future, FW doesn’t repeat the 12-gen mainboard introduction, where they knew ahead of time that it would to require a big, complex BIOS update to get to a level that should have been achieved before leaving the factory in the first place.

1 Like

This is what concerns me, too. 3.06 was in beta for over a year, then abandoned. 3.07 was never even an official beta. 3.08 has been a couple of months and is still in beta.

According to Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (12th Gen Intel® Core™), there has never been an official, supported BIOS update. People are expected to still be using the factory-supplied 3.04.

I worry that Framework will never get a BIOS update working well enough that they feel comfortable calling it a supported release.

4 Likes

To be fair, that is how the process works. You version your stuff. If in the validation pipeline you disqualify a specific version, it’s on to the next version. So an update that was disqualified from final release in the beta stage, can have nothing else happen than be abandoned. You could only have a further subversion that you increment, but the same version cannot ever release if it is not fit for release. That is the whole point of versioning. Create an explicit relationship between version number and build.

The problem is the timeline, the vague promises and serious lack of any acceptable communication. Like I said, if there is a public beta and the version IS disqualified or even pulled, that should come with an explanation for what issues this happened and what the risk is/was. And some rough commitment to how it is intended to be solved. Or the beta should come with a hell of a lot more warnings.

And then there are the patterns of many if not most 3.06 Windows-based updates crashing in the middle repeatedly and the EFI installers failing on other things. These seem to be the exact same issues with 3.08, the EFI installer has now even been pulled, without communication. Known issues were never edited. They never were on the 3.06 beta that was obviously discarded but is still up. Canceling, or significantly holding back the release does not fit with no known or suspected issues. And FW chose to announce their timeline for that to placate owners when they stretched “soon” to mean a year the last time.

While on the 11th gen, the EFI installer has never even released at all, “because its not ready”, with FW listing this as “soon” since like september / october.
All the while users have been using older 11th gen updaters to install it anyway, so clearly its not that it could not work but just not reliable enough?

The issues with 11th gen seem suspiciously similar to ours and I’d bet that most of the update process is similar and both are affected by similar issues. (and who wants to bet that 13th gen just is not apparent yet, because it has never made it that far).

The Linux updates have been missing, because apparently Intel does not provide an updater for the ME firmware for linux, but just an EFI and a Windows one.
For the other things, the Windows updater uses EFI-capsules (1 BIOS, 1 for each ReTimer for 12th gen. Don’t know where the PD controller firmware is packaged in that the EFI updater installs separately).
EFI Capsules mean they are just handed over to the BIOS to update itself. And bad self-update functionality seems to be the reason for the terrible/lack of progress report or even error messages when it fails. Seems like solving this might be a prerequisite for getting more frequent updates rolling. So that nobody has to correlate the issues to expansion cards or plugged in USB devices. Seeing which component causes the updater to crash should really help with that.

EFI Capsules is what Linux seems to support just as well as Windows. But we also know that the ME update is a separate executable, even under Windows. It is the one thing the “installer” manually forces the update on before the reboot, even if the version is already up-to-date. You could easily update everything but the ME firmware from Linux with a process that should work very similarly to what happens in Windows. The fact that the Windows-updater installs the ME firmware update first and only then even proceeds trying the other updates, shows, that like with other Intel boards, the ME firmware can be updated separately. It might not be tested, it might not be perfectly stable while the versions do not match what is intended. But is likely enough to reboot and allow installing the rest.

The 11th gen users repackaging their own EFI-updater are not updating the ME firmware at all, for lack of an updater for it and they still report no issues with that (as I understand it, unless the ME firmware introduces breaking API changes or new features that the new BIOS relies upon, it should only solve bugs and security issues inside ME, but not otherwise endanger the stability)

Just using the EFI installer for the ME firmware should be much less to script and automate (and could even be given to those users as EFI command lines instead of an automated script that fails. It is mostly intended for those that chose to run Linux, which officially comes with a ton of commands from FW to get it into a supported state anyway).

The only situation that that probably would not solve is the battery-less installations, where only the EFI-updater seems to have the specific handling of updating the way the notebook powers itself without a battery in a way that ensures it not killing its own power during the update.

But that’d already support a lot more people than now. And FW seemingly finds the Windows updater stable enough, even though on 2 separate devices updating the ReTimer firmware got it into a crash-loop for me and a lot of other people.

I haven’t even talked about, how they still have not managed to update their download link to point to the fixed 3.08b installer that already fixed a bug in the installer refusing to start on some boards. Again, no mentions of additional risks of the 3.08b installer and not even bothering to finish what you started, even though it would only take them like 2 min.

Without any serious communication or visible effort, this just seems like FW either is incapable of solving the firmware update problems or does not care to.

Happy to be wrong on any of this btw, FW pointing this out would be being more transparent instead of stonewalling on this issue.

There was another contractor in between FW and Insyde (Compal) that is probably more involved in the FW specific parts of the updating. Isn’t Compal also involved in designing the boards?

Given how Insyde seems to use basically standard bundles of firmware that include a bunch of stuff that is not needed, I would expect them to also have reliable solutions for everything that is their business when it comes to updating (seeing as 3/4 of LogoFail was completely unnecessary, because FW does not use those fileformats for logos, but the parsers are there anyway, together with stuff like PXE booting. All attack surface with no benefit to FW other than Insyde can reuse a more generic image. If they then do not have that base image handled that’d be pretty embarrassing for them)

7 Likes

yeah, no problems for me after the 3.06 and the 3.08 update. Everything worked like expected, I really didn’t run into any issues. But I’m running an up-to-date Windows 11 (professional if that matters), barely have other expansion cards inserted than the USB-C ones in all slots, if something is connected to USB it’s mainly a Thunderbolt 4 hub (CalDigit) on the left front port where everything else is connected to and I was using the MSI to install the update.

To be fair, other companies (at least from my experience) don’t even communicate. But on the other hand, they have faster BIOS releases.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree. Fascinatingly, there is an interview of the CEO with Oxide Computer (youtube). Where they talk about the benefits of transparency and admitting mistakes for startups and companies catering more to the enthusiast group, that is willing to experiment. And how that generates more trust etc.

But now, that they have exhibited problems, they need to do sth. to get people to trust that they have, can or will overcome the problems. Like I said elsewhere, all of this has caused me to assume that FW will never deliver a (final) firmware update for purchasing decisions. Which pretty much leads to my recommendation: unless you are 100% ok with never getting an update, do not buy FW mainboards. Not much else I can do based on the information I have on hand.

And when they themselves list a “known issues - none” headline for a beta update or say that their default timeline is 2 weeks until go/no-go, they are failing their own promises to keep that updated. And they show that none of the information they do share can be relied upon.

Edit: never saying anything that could turn out to be wrong would also be strategy. But that is not how they started out. They are happy to announce things ahead of time sometimes (like to calm people down or hold them over).

5 Likes

1 yr 5 months later still no non beta Bios Update for 12th gen Intel…I would say the community has been quite patient.

15 Likes

Yes we’re patient.

But I also believe it’s time they get someone on board to take care of the firmware. With each new model the issue is only becoming bigger.

Lets hope we maybe have a surprise and they were working on something bigger all along.

13 Likes

As this is windows and a lot of people were successful I was excepting a success. To my surprise the install did not even attempt.

FAILURE SKU# and SYS SERIAL NUMBER: FRANGACPA42234003F
SYS CONFIG: i5-1240P
RAM: 2 Sticks Crucial DDR4-3200 - 16GB (Total)
SSD: Brand/model and how large is the capacity. If removed, please indicate.
Wi-Fi: Stock
External Devices/Other: Plugged in via USB C
EXPANSION CARD TYPES: 1 HDMI 2 USB-A 1 USB-C
BIOS VERSION: 3.04
DRIVER PACKAGE VERSION: If known and if using Windows.
OS VERSION: Windows 11
FAIL RATIO: 100%

STEP TO REPRODUCE: EFI Shell via USB drive, Windows package, and the steps you recall taking. Just do your best. I realize no one will remember all of this.
Step 1 - Download Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS__3.08
Step 2 - Launch MSI
Step 3 - Yes on UAC prompt

OBSERVED RESULT: Installer launched but returned error "This installer can only be run on Framework 12 Gen Intel Core Mainboards.

EXPECTED RESULT: It to flash successfully and be reflected in BIOS settings.

ISSUE RECOVERY METHOD: Firmware did not even start.

EXTERNAL DEVICE MODE or NAME: Not used

Also 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Beta Release - #21 by Kieran_Levin.

Framework had fixed that specific issue within ours of launching this beta. But in the 2 months since then, has not even found the time to update their initial post with said fixed installer.

Like, they must not even be checking into this thread periodically for further bug reports, potential issues or success reports, because anybody even close to the firmware team would have realized that that is a very easy thing to do and has now caused multiple people reporting errors because they have not read ALL of this thread before trying the updater linked by FW in the opener.

And if the firmware people are being pulled off of 12th gen for 2 months completely, with no time to even collect issues for future fixes, correcting their own information and better notifying people of issues they have already fixed (= “Known Issues”), then I have no real hope for FW improving in this regard.

And the best it seems we could hope for, is that newer products than ours will not get the same treatment. But without any explanation, how there are not enough resources for 12th gen, but should be enough resources for newer products and products yet to come, that too seems rather improbable to me… :unamused:

11 Likes