13th Gen Intel® Core™ and AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series join the Framework Laptop 13 family

I’d love to be able to order the 61Wh battery for the AMD version as well. Extra juice is extra juice.

Have we confirmed the specific CPUs that are being used for the AMD lineup?
Based on what I’ve found on AMD’s website, there are only three 7040-series CPUs:

• Ryzen 5 7640HS (6-core, up to 5.0GHz boost clock)
  • Ryzen 7 7840HS (8-core, up to 5.1GHz boost clock)
  • Ryzen 9 7940HS (8-core, up to 5.2GHz boost clock)

(All three CPUs have a configurable TDP from 35–54W)
Since we know there’s one Ryzen 5 SKU and one Ryzen 7 SKU, I guess that means the CPUs are the 7640HS and 7840HS? If that is confirmed, it’s be nice to see information directly on the configuration page regarding core-count and boost clocks like the Intel lineup has.

We have to wait … → Apr30/May01
my guess

• Framework 13: Ryzen 7040U SKU 15W
  • Framework 16: Ryzen 7840HS SKU 35-40W
1 Like

Wow that’s faster than I thought. When is batch 1 shipping again?

Sometime in May

1 Like

Nice, reviews coming :smiley:

1 Like

Q3 for AMD.

2 Likes

Ah, that would be good too. Because I remember vaguely that the date was around Meteor Lake’s release, hoping to see comparisons to decide which system is better for me.

If that is truly the reason, then why are you creating this unnecessary difference in the speakers for the new 13s in the first place? From an inventory and assembly perspective, you would absolutely simplify your operation by reducing the number of base configurations needed.

This leads me to the suspicion that the reason the AMD SKU has the old speakers has nothing at all to do with “SKU diversity” (as that is a patently false argument, given the bifurcation actually creates more diversity), and more to do with you planning to wash away old inventory in the wake of the expected successful launch of a highly anticipated product.

At any rate, I didn’t notice the AMD system was loaded with the old speakers. Will we at least be able to do an exchange for a nominal fee? Kind of upsetting. Thought we were going to be getting the best of the best here. New screen? Check. New processor? Check. New speakers? Nope.

If I can’t exchange the speakers, would it be possible to swap my place in line for the mainboard only? I am fully comfortable buying all the pieces separately and assembling them myself. I don’t want the old speakers and I am truly astonished they are being included in the AMD machine. Doesn’t that kind of go against everything you purportedly stand for and are striving to build?

Edit: Nevermind. Assembling the parts separately isn’t possible yet. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see how the speakers sound and pay closer attention in future when new products are announced.

It’s been stated before that this is because they need to remove old stock.
Same as the batteries.
The new speakers aren’t actually ‘better’ in many ways, so I wouldn’t bother switching them.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I must’ve missed that. Can you direct me to that answer from FW?

Well I have suggested that, it would seem fairly obvious as alternatives come about.

The 11th Gen replaced by the 12 Gen replaced by the 13 Gen, I can’t see Framwork keeping the older veriosn but selling what stock they have

The 61W battery is no doubt a replacement for the 55W but they with ship and delivery both, but not a choice. You buy a 12Gen or 13Gen etc.

Hinges. The old hinges are 3.3Kg and there is/was an option to buy the 4Kg, now the default is being raised to 3.5Kg but the 12 Gen will get the older 3.3Kg.

The speakers, it the same routine and note two issue:

• The louder speakers are reported to have less bass and not generally better, just abit louder. I prefer more base so wouldn’t want the new ones

• With all the SKUs there is stock for a) old builds like the 12th Gen and warranty for the 11th and 12th

So until stock changes the components are going to be incorporated in some version until it is clear no further warranty claims can be made, or when no warranty claims can be made they continue in some config.

The speakers maybe an update but cleary not really seen as essential upgrade, unlike batteries, matt screen, CPU and hinges.

That may change and a third GEN speaker may come on the market and when stock levels permit they may be the default.

It’s business with limits and not limits I set.

I hate business and could never deal with all the demands and complainants and advice etc. That anyone would try this laptop is amazing and why I bought one, I could do with the laptop but not knowing the innovative ideas can play out.

With a few draw backs, the screen’s stiffness, the battery hours . . . . I can easily say it is not perfect, but I’ve been playing with it 6 hours a day since Feb 2022

The only compliant is that I can’t keep my hands of it and I’m hooked by the ‘good’ vibes and other work isn’t getting done. I’m becoming a laptop forum addict. No benefit arises without soem downside. I’ve chosen mine it seems.

2 Likes

Little more complicated than just removing old stock, but it’s logistical concerns.

AMD hasn’t announced the CPUs that are in 7040 Series Frameworks. They’re under an information embargo, which is why they’re not listed on the product page. Once they’re announced by AMD, Framework will confirm the specifics.

1 Like

This is what a 7840U at 28w looks like. If we end up getting HS…it’ll be amazing.

The speakers are very easily swap-able by the end user (I did it on two FW13!), and both models are available on the marketplace, so yes you can exchange them for the cost of the new pair only (plus shipping fee).

That’s the point, so not really. You buy as a first time customer and shipping may do some damage.

Buy with any major product to avoid shipping, that about as nominal as you are likely to get.

Unless they beef up the cooling compared to the previous intel ones, you likely won’t get far over 30w anyway. Personally I would not mind having the headroom the hs gives for custom builds but for the normal laptop version there is likely to be very little difference between the two because it is cooling limited and not power limited.

Yeah, made a note of that already:

Would be kinda neat if the sold a extreme fan kit or something that just put a ridiculously loud high rpm fan in there for maybe 40-50w, not really usefull for most cases bzt would be pretty cool.

1 Like