140W + dGPU Compatibility Thread

Hello everyone! I wanted your help to make a list of compatible chargers for the FW16 + dGPU. Obvious choice is the stock 180W, but not everyone wants to take that brick around, with the dual cable and all.
Long story short, not PD3.1 EPR chargers are created equal, and if you need a small, portable 140W charger to travel but you still need the 7700S performance for gaming/work, you should know that not all 140W will work. Please share your findings if you have suggestions regarding FW16 chargers.
Born from this thread.
TESTED:

• UGREEN Nexode X 160W 4 ports - NON COMPATILE!
    Bad performance with dGPU under load (I.E. gaming). Can’t negotiate PD correctly and the power draw keeps oscillating, extreme stutters and poor performance. Otherwise good for charging, or for using without the dGPU. Gets hot, but it’s expected from a GaN charger.

• Baseus GaN5 Pro 3-Ports 140W - Good!
    Very consistent performance with the dGPU. Gaming is great, the 7700S pulls from ~70 to ~80 watts respectively in balanced and high performance. Gets very warm, but less than the UGREEN. short bundled cable but work wonders with the dGPU.

2 Likes

Want to say first that I support the idea of this thread. Don’t want to sound like “why would you want this”. Just throwing couple alternative ideas here in case one would be compelling to you or other readers.

You could get an angle adapter or shorter cable, if you want lighter packing. Some of the Dell chargers I have came with 1m cables with smaller plugs on both sides.

1 Like

I am using some Baseus 140 watt chargers that I got on sale and they have been perfectly fine so far. Even better is that if I keep the power setting to Best Power Efficiency(Windows) the laptop stays within that 140 watt power limit and I am not seeing any battery drain at all. I am generally seeing 60+fps in games as well. It has been a completely fantastic experience for me. I have one that lives at work, one that lives at home, and one that lives in my backpack. Full coverage and full battery.

2 Likes

My usecase was: 180W at home, cable managed behind desk for maximum performance.
Light and convenient 140W to carry in my backpack 24/7, with the option to use the dGPU without crawling under my desk and bringing around FW brick and an extra cable (too much hassle for daily use).
My goal was to compromise 40W of power when around… With the ugreen i ended up compromising the GPU entirely lol

2 Likes

Insignia (works without issue)

Model: NS-PW3X4C2W22B
Best Buy SKU: 6508457
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-140w-dual-port-usb-c-compact-wall-charger-kit-for-macbook-pro-16-smartphone-and-tablet-white/6508457.p?skuId=6508457

2 Likes

I’ve found the apple 140w charger (model A2452) my work provided me gives roughly the full 140w when charging, but dGPU performance is not ideal.

Try to check GPU power consumption using Adrenaline: if it fluctuates too much while gaming, your charger is one of them.

1 Like

GPU power consumption fluctuates a tiny bit, but 3dmark framerate and score are consistently much lower when plugged into the apple 140w charger compared to my amazon basics 100w one with the same 240w epr cable.

Well, stumbled upon this thread looking into this.

the Anker Prime Charger (250W, 6 Ports, GaNPrime) (250W is the total - only 1 port does 140W max) does NOT (Kinda, see below) work as of firmware 1.2.1.0 - the charger does have upgradable firmware, although I don’t know if this is fixable in firmware alone.

In case anyone is interested to see what happens when this issue occurs, I ran a few benchmarks in Forza horizon 5 using both the Framework and Anker charger (Using the balanced profile in windows):

Anker - 140W:

Framework - 180W:

A little edit:
It DOES work when using “Dual Laptop mode” (This charger has multiple modes), which prioritizes the main two ports!

It’s still slightly slower than with the 180W Framework charger, but it does work fine without stuttering, getting 71FPS in the same benchmark with nearly no stuttering!

I have the same Charger (but not the dGPU…). “Dual Laptop mode” look to give the 2 first port 70W (?) (no more 140W on the 1er one). Can you “bench” with FW16 connected on port 2 with and without “Dual Laptop mode” and with define Port2 as “priority”?
Can you report what power/Voltage/Curent you get on different config?

In my case connect FW16 on port 1+“IA or Priority” the Power report connection at 140W and 28V. But on linux sensors report 0V/5A Max… look for me that this Anker deliver 28V but that the FW16 do not see it correctly and stay a low power limit.

In my case (FW16/no dGPU) it look like the Anker 250W force 28V on port 1 and that the Anker 240W continue PD “negotiation” (like UGREEN Nexode X 160W?).

(Note: with both Power using 100W cable on port 1 work as expected (ie 100W / 20V / 5A …))

Now that’s real interesting, here’s the results:
C1 prio: 140W (28V) => 40FPS, heavy stuttering
C2 prio: 100W (20V) => 70 FPS, no stuttering (?!)

C1 Dual laptop: 100W (20V) => 70 FPS, no stuttering
C2 Dual laptop: 100W (20V) => 70 FPS, no stuttering

The charger indeed doesn’t do 140W in dual laptop mode (good catch!), both C1 and C2 are at 100W max. Worth noting that at 100W, the battery does drain ever so slightly (I was at 95% after a few runs of the benchmark, so ~10-15min)

Now I’m inclined to contact support about this, but I’m not so sure which of the two supports :smiley:

I’m guessing this is most likely a charger issue, but I’ve no idea.

1 Like

There is some other post with 140W “bad” support : FW16 USB PD Battery Issues - #65 by Martin_Barinka
For me some (may me not all?) problem have the same root case.

and Laptop 16 AMD Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.04 BETA Release =>

Look some are know issues…
I like to help more FrameWork on that but I do not know how…