16" Mainboard Component Labeled "Storage"

I was browsing the Marketplace items. I looked closer at the 16" AMD mainboard. What is the 2230 sized component on the bottom left next to the M.2 slots that has the factory sticker, “Storage” on it used for? BIOS?

Thanx,
Wio

You can have two SSDs in an FL16, both available to the user. One is a 2230 size (for which the current maximum capacity is 2TB) and the other is a 2280, for which the current maximum easily available capacity is 4TB, but if you have deep pockets, then you can get an 8TB.

4 Likes

@Alan_Pearce :

But I thought the user configurable storage was the left two M.2 slots (2230 on bottom, 2280 on top of that). I’m asking about the M.2 slot on the right side with a default system foil label named, “Storage”. Did I just misunderstand the default M.2 configuration and the 2230 is on one side and 2280 is on the other side and neither stack on top of each other?

Thanx,
Wio

The connectors do not stack on top of each other, but the drives (or rather modules) do :wink:

You can watch the videos in FW16 install guide’s steps 9 and 10 and it should become clear which M.2 slot is used for which drive size (and how) here:

3 Likes

motzky80:

Thank you for pointing to those specific video steps for the proper visual. I see now that the 2230 M.2 is underneath and towards the left end of where the 2280 M.2 stick is mounted. It initially appeared that the 2230 was mounted there then the right connector of the 2280 plugged in right above it as if they shared a dual vertical M.2 connector. This made me incorrectly assume the actual 2280 M.2 to the right was a second dual vertical M.2 connector and that the foil “Storage” sticker was a label on another M.2 drive about the size of a 2250? or so.

I understand now. Your patience and willingness to teach are appreciated (versus the negative replies I would have received in other hardware forums, I’m sure).

Thanx,
Wio

4 Likes