4K 144Hz Monitor - can Framework drive it?

Can any of the Framework Laptops, current or planned, in any configuration, drive a 4k monitor at 144Hz? The specific monitor I have is the LG 27GN950-B 27 inch, if that matters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R8N5D18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

I have a Framework 13 11th gen DIY Edition, and it’s struggling to power worse monitors. I can’t tell if it’s because I put it together poorly, because there are problems with my expansion cards, or what. So I would like to know what should theoretically be possible, and if I need to buy upgrades or a new laptop.

Over display port the integrated GPU on the 11th gen should be able to run a 4K monitor at >60Hz, but It definitely can’t do any games. I’d expect the 16" Framework to be able to run some games at that resolution and definitely be able to drive the panel if it has a dGPU.

The displayport card should be able to drive it! (Considering 8k60p, should mean 4k240p max)
Iris Xe also theoretically supports 8k60p, so it should work according to specs!

The HDMI definitely won’t though.

2 Likes

My Framework 13 AMD (7840U + 780M) is able to drive my Gigabyte M28U monitor at 4k 144Hz. Running Arch Linux and using one of the back USB-C ports with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

3 Likes