AMD Batch 2 Guild

Ordered April 6th, Charged today, and shipped today
Ryzen 5, USB-A, USB-C, HDMI, LAN Expansion Cards.

The laptop arrived yesterday with bios version 3.02.

I installed Arch Linux and did not encounter any problems, yet (apart from my inability to follow the Arch installation guide).

1 Like

Now that Iā€™ve messed with mine for some time, a small suggestion for people running Windows.

1. Donā€™t run the Framework supplied driver package. It contains a lot of old stuff as well as drivers you might not want (Realtek audio? Mediatek WiFi/BT? Framework (Realtek) USB ethernet).
  2. Get most of the stuff directly from AMD.
    a. Basic chipset stuff. I know it says fp5, but as far as I could find, these are the latest for even 7040 chips: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset
    You can just run it and itā€™ll figure out what to install.
    b. For the IPU, you need to make an account and agree on beta software stuff. Follow the ā€œIPU Driverā€ link in: Installation ā€” Ryzen AI Software Platform 0.9 (Preview) documentation
    If you just want the driver, you can use Device Manager and just point it to the correct directory, and itā€™ll update the driver only.
    c. For iGPU, you just follow the standard AMD link and find 7*40U.
  3. The only one I couldnā€™t find official driver for was the Goodix fingerprint reader. For that, use 7zip to extract it from the giant file from Framework. I wish they let us download specific drivers, rather than a giant file with a lot of useless/outdated drivers.

Note I did find Goodix fingerprint reader drivers on ā€œgeneric driver repositoryā€ sites, but I donā€™t trust them 100%. Their official site doesnā€™t seem to supply drivers to end users. Maybe some of you had better luck finding them.

4 Likes

The AMD RZ616 WiFi/Bluetooth card in all AMD Frameworks is a rebadged Mediatek one.

The codec chip on audio cards of all AMD Frameworks is a Realtek ALC295.

OK, this one I guess you might not need if you havenā€™t bought the Ethernet expansion card.

1 Like

No one is forced to use the RZ616. I swapped mine out with an AX200 as soon as I got mine.

A lot of people hate (with passion) Realtek audio drivers that include their additional tools, and prefer to use standard drivers that come through Microsoft.

One more note while Iā€™m at it. Thereā€™re hints of IPU stuff in AMD Adrenaline, so my guess is future Adrenaline downloads will include IPU drivers at some point.

Mineā€™s out for delivery today!

1 Like

delivered! 1 day shipping from taiwan to california

Delivered today! 2 days from Taiwan. March 27 order date

Hi Eveyone!

Just received my batch 2 two days ago and succeeded installing Ubuntu 22.04.03. I was a bit afraid of the sluggurish experience untill I update the kernel to the oem one ( 6.1.0-1024-oem)!! Blazingly fast afterwards!

I then encountered some lags/freezes screen with my external hdmi monitor (but not on the main display). I supposed it was linked to the amd issues that everyone has been poking around (and maybe also Wayland, as everything was working fine under X11).

I have just updated to the new BIOS 03.03, and everything works well now! Thank you the dev/support/tech teams!

Just got charged, Ryzen 7 DIY ordered 1st of April

There is a beta release of the 3.03 firmware and I can confirm Pop_OS 22.04 is working with 6.5.6 generic kernel so far.

9th April still waiting to be charged ;.;

hopefully soon, seeing all my other fellow batch 2 gamers with thier orders

Just been charged ! so this means choosing the green coloured bezel option does not hold up your order. Framework says 1 - 3 days to dispatch out so will see what the tracking notice will say in time frame delivery, from Taiwan to BC, Canada. My order was original entered in April 2nd, 2023

My order was AMD Ryzenā„¢ 7 7840U , 1 x DDR5-5600 - 16GB ram, 1TB SN770 NVMeā„¢- M.2 2280, AU power adapter, 2 x USB-C, USB-A, and Micro-SD.

Iā€™ve been told I should have gone dual 16GB ram which may present a problem for me later on. Specifically about compatibility among different brand makes.

Feels like Christmas!

Just got charged. 7840 DIY, 2xUSB-C, 1 USB-A, microSD, HDMI, ethernet.

Edit: shipped a day later.

Just got charged, ordered 2nd of April.
7840 with HDMI, 2x ethernet, power adapter, 2 x USB-C, USB-A

Iā€™ve been charged!! FYI I placed my order April 2nd

Holy crap today was a whirlwind at work so didnā€™t refresh constantly all day but charged 6 hours ago! The hype is absolutely real haha

Ryzen 7, 2x16 ram, 2TB ssd and one of each card apart from audio and 250GB card so seems they have stock of everything again haha

I got mine a day early! So exciting.

First the question burning in your mind, the usb-c extension tower works perfectly. They should just sell them like this.

Second, my TS4 dock works perfectly. 4k/120hz RGB with no issues. I donā€™t have a 2.5GbE switch yet, but the dock NIC worked at 1GbE no issues.

Super happy with this thing so far. I still need to get used to the screen aspect ratio, but hopefully I grow to love it like so many others.

Cheers.

13 Likes

My R5 showed up this morning, a day early! Typing out this message on it now. No issues at all so far on an ElementaryOS install with the OEM kernel. Thanks Framework!

2 Likes

For those of you who received their AMD FWL13 just recently, does it have the recently published 3.0.3 Bios (beta) flashed already, or are you still on 3.0.2 ?