AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U review timing

Given that all are running Fedora Rawhide, I’d tend to think it’s one Framework employee, or else a review unit.

2 Likes

Or maybe it is @nrp with his own sample that is toying with us by those early numbers as a glimpse of what’s coming next ? Ha ! Who knows ?
^^"

The benchmark uploader - “coremodule” - has geekbench uploads going back to May 2020:

Make of that what you will :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Holy cow! Based off geek bench this would at least double my 11-th gen intel framework laptops performance, at least CPU-side :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There have been a few more uploads last week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Impressive scores! I’m curious to see the difference vs Intels, in term of temperatures to reach this score, and even for a moderate use. But obviously the cooling is probably very good to get that

Framework showcased some reviews of the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) in their newsletter yesterday.

Now that the reviews are out, I did a quick search and found a few more:

From the reviews it looks like the only major downside is battery life. The AMD version of the Framework 13 lasts 152 minutes less than the 13th-gen Intel version of the same laptop on the PCMark Modern Office benchmark at 200 nits of display brightness, according to this chart by Ars Technica.

That leaves me a little concerned about the battery life of the upcoming framework 16. That will have a larger 85 watt-hour battery than the Framework 13’s 61 watt-hour battery, but it also has a larger display to power. I’m spoiled by the epic battery life of my current 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro with Apple’s M2 Pro CPU/GPU, which has a much larger and heavier 100 watt-hour battery and a battery life of over 18 hours on a single charge, according to reviewers.

The minor downside (that we already knew about) is the limitations on port functions:

The Ryzen laptop supports USB 4 in the rear-left and rear-right ports, USB 3.2 and DisplayPort for the front-right slot, and only USB 3.2 on the front-left slot (all four ports support USB-PD for charging, though). Framework also says the rear ports enter a “high-power mode” when USB-A modules are connected to them, which can reduce battery life.

Most of the reviews you posted measure AMD battery life longer than Intel. Hard to say what the real experience is but it seems disingenuous to focus on Ars’s measurement when it is a clear outlier.

2 Likes

I focused on the Ars review because it was the only realistic workload for a 13-inch laptop that most people will use mainly for productivity, with some light gaming because the AMD GPU is much better than Intel’s Xe GPU. Ars used PCMark’s Modern Office battery life test which focuses on productivity workloads that should be more neutral and got 643 minutes for the 13th-gen Intel board, and 491 minutes for the AMD board.

PC Gamer used PCMark’s Gaming battery life test and got 68 minutes for the Intel board, but 86 minutes for the AMD board. The AMD hardware has a much better GPU, which would translate into better efficiency for gaming workloads.

Tom’s Hardware says the battery life on the Intel and AMD boards are identical (11:38 vs 11:39), but they don’t describe how they measure that at all.

JustJosh used two different methods of battery life testing in his review. The first method was running Cenebench R23 for 30 minutes. The AMD board had 11% more power remaining when compared to the Intel board. It’s an interesting datapoint, but not many people are going to be rendering for 30 minutes on a 13-inch, non-workstation laptop. Again, the better GPU in the AMD board is likely a factor. The second method was playing a Netflix video over Wi-Fi on a loop for 4 hours on a loop with display brightness set to 200 nits. The AMD board had 10% more power remaining than the Intel This test is a more realistic use case than Cenebench, but still not something that someone is likely to do with their laptop. It’s worth noting that this is the only review so far that has shown that the AMD board has better battery life under a non-gaming workload. It could also be an outlier just like the Ars review.

The Engadget review didn’t mention the battery at all, which was surprising. Lilputing doesn’t mention battery life either, just battery size.