AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Release

Good to hear 6.5.8 might be working, but at least up to 6.5.7 it definitely wasn’t :smile:. Running the BIOS upgrade now, so lets see.

I may also just be wrong!

It’s great seeing timely fixes from framework! Really pleasantly surprised by how fast this got delivered.

Looking forward to getting that 12th gen update for all the vulnerabilities disclosed last year :wink:

Flashed the 3.03 BIOS via the boot+usb method and now my NixOS install is no longer reporting the previous amdgpu issues. Suspend is working. Steam is working. I’m so excited to actually be able to use this thing!

These issues were inconsistent to begin with, so hopefully this isn’t intermittent, but since the errors previously were always present in dmesg, I’m gonna stay hopeful.

I do still see this, but I’m guessing it’s not a huge deal and as long as the machine does what I want it to do, I don’t care overly much, but I’ll put it here for completeness:

[   48.441047] [drm:mes_v11_0_submit_pkt_and_poll_completion.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* MES failed to response msg=14
[   48.441281] [drm:amdgpu_mes_reg_write_reg_wait [amdgpu]] *ERROR* failed to reg_write_reg_wait

I have been trying to run

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

but got the following error:

Failed to connect to daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached

The same error message persist when I try to do other operations with fwupdmgr.

Here is the output of fwupd

$ /usr/libexec/fwupd/fwupd
18:15:25.348 FuPluginUefiCapsule  SMBIOS BIOS Characteristics Extension Byte 2 is invalid -- UEFI Specification is unsupported, but /sys/firmware/efi exists: SMBIOS not supported
18:15:25.349 FuPluginTpm          failed to load eventlog: Failed to open file “/sys/kernel/security/tpm0/binary_bios_measurements”: Permission denied
18:15:25.392 FuPluginUefiCapsule  skipping device that failed coldplug: failed to read fw_class
18:15:25.394 FuEngine             failed to add device usb:01:00:04: USB error on device 27c6:609c : Access denied (insufficient permissions) [-3]
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:451:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init() Failed to open specified TCTI device file /dev/tpmrm0: Permission denied 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:169:tcti_from_file() Could not initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-device.so.0 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:451:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init() Failed to open specified TCTI device file /dev/tpm0: Permission denied 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:169:tcti_from_file() Could not initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-device.so.0 
WARNING:tcti:src/util/io.c:262:socket_connect() Failed to connect to host 127.0.0.1, port 2321: errno 111: Connection refused 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-swtpm.c:613:Tss2_Tcti_Swtpm_Init() Cannot connect to swtpm TPM socket 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:169:tcti_from_file() Could not initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-swtpm.so.0 
WARNING:tcti:src/util/io.c:262:socket_connect() Failed to connect to host 127.0.0.1, port 2321: errno 111: Connection refused 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:169:tcti_from_file() Could not initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-mssim.so.0 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:269:tctildr_get_default() No standard TCTI could be loaded 
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:430:Tss2_TctiLdr_Initialize_Ex() Failed to instantiate TCTI 
ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/esys_context.c:70:Esys_Initialize() Initialize default tcti. ErrorCode (0x000a000a) 
18:15:25.439 FuEngine             failed to add device /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/MSFT0101:00/tpm/tpm0: failed to initialize TPM library
18:15:25.441 FuEngine             failed to add device /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.4/0000:02:00.0/nvme/nvme0: failed to open /dev/nvme0: Permission denied
18:15:25.445 FuEngine             failed to add device /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:c1:00.0: ioctl error: Permission denied [13]
18:15:25.454 FuEngine             failed to add device /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:c1:00.0/drm/card1/card1-DP-1/drm_dp_aux1: failed to add device using on synaptics_mst: failed to open /dev/drm_dp_aux1: Permission denied

18:15:25.539 FuEngine             failed to add device /sys/devices/virtual/msr/msr0: failed to add device using on msr: failed to open /dev/cpu/0/msr: Permission denied
18:15:25.545 FuMain               Daemon ready for requests (locale en_US.UTF-8)
18:15:25.546 FuMain               another service has claimed the dbus name org.freedesktop.fwupd

I got the following for systemctl status fwupd.service.

× fwupd.service - Firmware update daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fwupd.service; static)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/service.d
             └─10-timeout-abort.conf
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Tue 2023-10-24 14:25:26 EDT; 40s ago
       Docs: https://fwupd.org/
    Process: 11819 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/fwupd/fwupd (code=killed, signal=TERM)
   Main PID: 11819 (code=killed, signal=TERM)
        CPU: 224ms

Oct 24 14:15:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: Starting fwupd.service - Firmware update daemon...
Oct 24 14:15:35 cheng-fedora-laptop fwupd[11819]: 18:15:35.130 FuEngine             failed to add device usb:01:00:04: failed to claim interface 0x00: USB error on device 27c6:609c : Resource busy [-6]
Oct 24 14:18:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Oct 24 14:21:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: State 'stop-sigterm' timed out. Aborting.
Oct 24 14:21:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Killing process 11819 (fwupd) with signal SIGABRT.
Oct 24 14:24:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: State 'stop-watchdog' timed out. Killing.
Oct 24 14:24:35 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Killing process 11819 (fwupd) with signal SIGKILL.
Oct 24 14:25:26 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Oct 24 14:25:26 cheng-fedora-laptop systemd[1]: Failed to start fwupd.service - Firmware update daemon.

On the other hand, fwupdtool seems to be working properly…

I was running into this issue on 3.02 too. Wasn’t able to run any fwupdmgr commands as the background daemon was having issues communicating with my fingerprint reader or something similar. Updating via the EFI shell method actually fixed the fwupd daemon for me as well.

1 Like

3.03 flashed fine for me and my Fedora 39 install seems to be much less finicky now

Wayland works correctly on boot, I’m not seeing any graphical issues, fwupdmgr is working now, things seem very happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anyone else having issues with the BIOS updating on downgrading PD2 from 0.0.1E to 0.0.1C? Mine has been sitting at that last step of the update for 10+ minutes now. Shows green check marks for all 4 items in the bottom right though…

EDIT: After 20 minutes, just pressed the power button, it shut down immediately, and booted up fine. Not sure why it was stuck…

1 Like

Things are much much better. GPU works, everything feels snappy, Firefox no longer takes 2min to start.

Weirdly enough I’m still getting the behaviour of GDM dropping me in the X11 session the first time I try to login. Haven’t figured out what’s up with that just yet.

Since I couldn’t find the update via fwupd, I just copied it to the efi partition and manually ran the update from the efi shell. Seems to have worked and all my issues regarding Steam and such crashing the graphics driver seem to have been resolved. Good job and thanks a lot!

1 Like

This seems to happen if you’ve ever let a graphical application start, like GDM/SDDM or logged in after that. What you can do is disable GDM/SDDM so you boot to a TTY instead, and then login on the console and run the commands from there. That should work.

Alternatively, use the UEFI shell upgrade method.

I’m running Arch (kernel 6.5.8-arch1-1), and after manually applying the fingerprint reader firmware, and the quirks file, fwupdmgr seems to work fine for me, though it seems to have issues if I try running it immediately after boot.

That said, even after adding the lvfs-testing remote, it didn’t find anything in my case. Perhaps there’s some delay in synchronizing it across the CDN?

In any case, I updated via UEFI shell, and no issues to report so far!

1 Like

Similar to wgalen above but on NixOS 23.05, Kernel: 6.5.7.

Enabled lvfs-testing but no updates were presented.
Applied the fingerprint reader firmware manually but not the quirks file.
Fingerprint reader started working after a reboot but fwupdmgr started hanging when doing any operation.
Downloaded the 3.03 BIOS and updated via the UEFI shell and everything seems better now.
Far less errors in the kernel log. fwupdmgr can fetch devices again and sway no longer crashes on first run.

Will see if anything else crops up but so far it’s working great with 3.03.

@Kieran_Levin Thanks for providing the update! Worked great using the USB drive method. Most of my Linux (running kernel: 6.5.7-300.fc39.x86_64) problems seem to be improved. :+1:

Might be an illusion, but my trackpad feels WAY more responsive on a first glance (may be even a bit too sensitive). Anyone else having this perception?

How long did the update take via the USB method for you all?
I’m looking at 1+ hour now…

I flashed mine via the bios method and confirming things are working in Pop_OS 22.05 with kernel version 6.5.6. All the function controls for screen brightness are also working which was something that was still an issue on 12th gen board.

I can’t get the updated BIOS to install. I’ve tried

• fwupd: Enabled lvfs-testing but the update is not shown (similar to others)
  • EFI on USB: startup.nsh runs but after the reboot the flasher aborts with “EFI Error 21”
  • Windows: same story as the USB-EFI variant

Anyone experienced something similar?

Really appreciate everyone’s feedback here. Especially hearing from those who have had success getting upgraded.

For anyone who has had challenges, please provide the following specifics:

• Linux distro and release.

• Updating in the laptop or just the mainboard on its own.

• If you’re having issues, have you tried a clean install of Fedora 39 or Ubuntu 22.04.3? If you are using an untested distro and experiencing issues using LVFS, we recommend either using the EFI method.

@Johannes Mine took about 5 to 10 minutes. Looks like it freezed on your device.

Same problem, same solution for me.