AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Release

I had the same with my first try. Then I rebooted to BIOS, checked if I really disabled Secure Boot, tried it again and then it worked without any problem.

Success! Kudos to all involved in this release!

Followed the Updating BIOS on Linux instructions and let my battery drain slightly before the updates finally showed up in fwupdmgr. After that, update ran without problem. Took about 10 minutes in total.

Running Fedora 39 KDE Spin on 6.5.6-300 and can confirm sddm no longer crashes on boot, no more drm and amdgpu errors in dmesg, and the occasional fullscreen/flickering issues are gone as well! :champagne:

4 Likes

I keep getting ā€œEFI ERROR CODE 21ā€ when updating with LVFS.

1. Linux distro and release: EndeavourOS (rolling release)

2. Updating in the laptop or just the mainboard on its own: in the laptop

3. If youā€™re having issues, have you tried a clean install of Fedora 39 or Ubuntu 22.04.3: No

Does anyone know if Phoronix is doing benchmarks on the FL13 AMD as we speak? Would love to see the benchmarks.

Do you have sufficient space on your EFI partition?

Do you have sufficient space on your EFI partition?

My EFI partition is 1,000 MB with 68.87 MB used. I assume thatā€™s enough space, right?

I canā€™t seem to get the Windows 3.03 BIOS updater to run successfully. When I run it, the screen completely locks up for several minutes; only to suddenly show Windows as rebooting. After it finishes the Windows-unloading portion of the reboot, thereā€™s just a black screen, and a varying degree of fan noise. After several minutes of nothing, I extremely reluctantly held down the power button to turn off the laptop, turned it back on, and saw an error message from the BIOS stating that there was an error during decompression (error 02, maybe?) It went away fairly quickly, then the computer booted normally into Windows, and seemed to still be running 3.02.

I tried this process twice with similar results; since it feels a bit too close to potentially bricking the motherboard, Iā€™m reluctant to try it again with that same updater unless thereā€™s something else I should try :laughing: I might try it with the Linux/LVFS or UEFI updaters at some point, but wanted to report on the Windows side of things.

1 Like

Update power limit table.

Hi! So, what exactly was done here? Were the limits increased? Decreased? In what context, on battery, plugged in or both? What consequences should we expect from whatever change was made? Apologies if this was already answered, I did a quick search only

Mentioned a bit above :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seeing some possibly strange USB PD negotiation behavior since the update. My typical Anker 737, when plugged in to the top up-to-100W port, just causes the orange LED to flicker on/off and never settle in to a steady state. A smaller 30W phone charger I have negotiates fine.

The issue with the Anker seems to resolve if I shut down and wait 30 seconds or so for the EC to reboot. Not sure what then makes it start happening again. Iā€™ll do some testing with charging-after-entering-sleep.

Can you check on the bios screen upper right corner to see the battery and AC status.

Thanks for Framework for the quick turnaround, everything seems to work indeed much better with the new BIOS.

I was having issues with suspend, but it turns out was not related to AMD but having nvme.noacpi=1 as a kernel parameter, which Iā€™m not sure why Iā€™ve added in the first place (Iā€™m reusing my P31 SSD I had previously).

1 Like

Might need to give it another day or two to know for sure, but 3.03 on Fedora seems to fix it up nice. :slight_smile: I ran all my usual gamedev stuff on it without any issues or amdgpu errors in the log, and played some games without running into GPU resets or compositor crashes. Great work!

1 Like

Update was smooth on Win11 :+1:

1 Like

Another smooth update on Windows 11 with the 7640U!

I am curious about something. It seems like the AMD Adrenalin driver version is locked - does this mean we will need new driver bundles from Framework to get the latest versions?

Could you provide more information around your Windows configuration? E.g. the version that appears in System Information and whether there is anything else that could be noteworthy? Partitioning or other modifications from a default installation.

2 Likes

Update was smooth as butter!

Updated successfully on Windows 11. No major issues, but I have noticed the fan bursting up to full speed under near-idle (video playback) loads once every few minutes. It doesnā€™t seem correlated to CPU or GPU usage spikes according to task manager, and it goes back to completely silent within a second or two. It also didnā€™t happen before, so itā€™s probably a regression with 3.03 ā€“ maybe somehow related to the power limit changes?

1 Like

Can you check on the bios screen upper right corner to see the battery and AC status.

Yes, the icons show that the battery is full and the charger connected.

Attempting to update using fwupmgr gives the same thing everyone else seems to get:

Failed to connect to daemon: Timeout was reached

Fedora 39 beta.

• Updating in the laptop or just the mainboard on its own.

Laptop.

• If youā€™re having issues, have you tried a clean install of Fedora 39 or Ubuntu 22.04.3?

Using a fresh install of a supported distro/release does the same thing

Note that battery was at 83 and later 91% and laptop was plugged in and charging.

Checking systemctl status fwupd.service says

start operation timed out. Terminating.