AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Release

Ooh, so there is something a bit funkier than average. The SSD I installed, while I purchased it for this machine, spent a bit of time in a Ryzen-powered Beelink where I’d partitioned it for dual booting. While I was prepared to reformat right away, I had trouble running Rufus on the machine I had at hand (a Mac running Windows 11 in Parallels), and the Windows partition got up and running more easily than I’d expected with all the drivers, so I delayed pulling the trigger on a reformat.

While I’m definitely in a non-standard situation at the moment with bringing the drive over, I will ultimately be dual booting Windows and Linux, at least to start. Would it be expected that the Windows updater might have problems with unusual partition/EFI setups for now?

And to answer the other question, the Windows 11 version is 10.0.22621 Build 22621 - don’t think there’s too much else noteworthy other than installing various developer tools and enabling WSL2.

On Fedora 39, I managed to get the fwupd service to start by disabling Gnome Display Manager with systemctl disable gdm and restarting. On start up, I ran Ctrl+Alt+F1 to connect to a tty and then fwupdmgr refresh --force and fwupdmgr upgrade succeeded. After rebooting, I renabled gdm, restarted, and everything was back to normal. amdgpu dmesg errors are now gone!

Thanks for the quick update Framework team!

4 Likes

@mphi Thanks! That seems to have done it for me. BIOS 3.03 is installing as I type.

No issues updating via the fwupd backend in KDE Discover on openSUSE Tumbleweed! BIOS seems stable so far, and seems to have cleared up the amdgpu stuff in the kernel logs.

I can’t update either, running windows, using the Windows installer, I get EFI error code 21, and the icons in the top right are an adapter icon and a battery icon. The battery is at half but I have my battery charge limited to 50% in bios.

Great to know, I’ve also been having with suspend even after the recent updates and I’m pretty sure I have this set somewhere. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been seeing this behavior on Windows 11 with BIOS 3.02 for the past couple weeks, I don’t know if it’s 3.03-related

I’m about to run the BIOS update now that I’ve done the drivers, and will report back to see if I still have this behavior in 3.03.

BIOS updated successfully. Will report back in a day or two about the fan behavior.

Last update to this post, but I’m still seeing the same small fan bursts after 3.03. They may be slightly reduced, but as far as I’m aware its about the same as 3.02 for me.

1 Like

Updated successfully, however Chromium, Teams, Slack now no longer show up with GUI due to some GPU hardware driver issue…

“On AMD GPU devices, VA-API does not work according to Chromium bug 1445074. A patch is available, but it only works under X11/XWayland (flag --ozone-platform-hint=x11).”

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/chromium

///

Was some Electron thingy - had to do a clean nistall of Fedora and got rid of this.

Just to clarify - will Batch 4 already ship with the updated BIOS?

So far I tested few usecases and this new Bios seems to fix everything so far on Fedora 39. I could even launch a game (NMS), put the laptop to sleep, awake and continue playing without any issue (real use case).
So far so good ! :smiley:

I’m just wondering if I can get better battery drain over the time. Actually I got -7% for about 8 hours sleep.

2 Likes

It seems likely. From the latest news letter: “This will be exiting Beta shortly and will be pre-loaded onto newly produced units starting from part of Batch 3”.

1 Like

I couldn’t get fwupdmgr to offer me any updates even with the testing repo, so I picked the UEFI update path. Downloaded and unpacked everything onto my EFI system partition, booted from file (EFI/boot/bootx64.efi) and the update went ahead smoothly. Didn’t even need an external USB.

With the updated bios, do we still need to install the oem kernel?

Same as Maxr1998. Using recommend install of Ubuntu, fwupdmgr offers me no updates.

I have yet to try the USB approach …

UPDATE:

I just tried this again and it worked.

Steps taken:

1. sudo fwupdmgr refresh --force
2. sudo fwupdmgr update
3. Restarted the machine, new BIOS updated and machine has started fine.

Time to play to see if all OK.

2 Likes

Any kernel should work now. There might still be other issues still, but I’m not seeing any on 6.5.x now. So anything after 6.1.x is probably going to be fine.

1 Like

For others, a refresh may not be necessary, a sudo dnf distrosync --refresh --allowerasing might fix the problem as there was a buggy version of mutter released to F39.

1 Like

Successfully updated from Debian unstable, thanks. I didn’t notice any difference so far, it was already working for me previously with BIOS 3.02 and kernel 6.5.6.

I’m getting important graphical glitches (with both 3.02 and 3.03) after switching to a text VT and back to the desktop : big flickering white squares in several parts of the screen. Is it a known bug, has anyone else seen this ?

I was able to boot into 22.04.3 with the normal 6.2 kernel, and open wayland firefox without freezes for the first time!

Also, i just install all these updates under a free windows install since i have had so many issues already, just works so much easier there

I successfully upgraded to the 3.03 beta on Arch Linux using fwupdmgr. It took about 10 minutes and it booted straight into wayland afterwards. No graphical issues so far. Thanks for getting this update out so quickly!

1 Like

I successfully upgraded to the 3.03 bios using a flash drive then I was able to successfully install Fedora 39 KDE spin (it would boot to a blank screen on 3.02). So far things are working really well although I did run into the flickering white screen issue and had to add the suggested kernel param to fix it. The fingerprint system also threw an error while trying to enroll a 3rd finger and got into a bad state. I had to use this tip to fix it, but now it’s working great.

1 Like