Bad thermals / turbo to begin with, made it worse

Took delivery of my FW13 1360p. Seemed to have pretty bad thermals and turbo’d for very little time. Stock:

Temperatures:

Clocks:

The device turbos for no more than 2 seconds or so.

I was planning to anyway, but this drove me to replace the TIM with the PTM7950 quicker. This was purchased from moddiy, which seems to be where everyone else is getting it, and to all intents appears to be legitimate.

I’ve tried applying it a few times now, cleaning the die / cooler meticulously, however I seem to get a lot more throttling now.

In addition, I seem to be getting cinebench scores of way lower than I would expect given previous generations (~10,500 on R23 Multicore).

Is there anything I could be doing wrong here? The PTM is going on perfectly to my eye, I’m tightening the cooler well and in the correct order.

Any hints or tips much appreciated. Most people seem to have had really good luck with the PTM. Next step is to go back to traditional TIM if I can’t make progress.

I appreciate I probably should have contacted FW support as a first port of call…

Legend says, that the PTM needs some “burn in time”. Did you do some stressing on the CPU and let it cool down afterwards?

1 Like

Do you have some some numbers for power usage?
The CPU is designed to hit PL2 (60W) for around 2S, before dropping to a steady 30/28W!

Legend says, that the PTM needs some “burn in time”. Did you do some stressing on the CPU and let it cool down afterwards?

@Philonmetal - Is this boot to boot (as in once its baked once its good), or it needs a good run before the stress?

Do you have some some numbers for power usage?
The CPU is designed to hit PL2 (60W) for around 2S, before dropping to a steady 30/28W!

I dont, but will get. Does this mean it will only turbo up to 4.x for ~2s?

Kinda! It’s more that sustaining 4.xGHz on ALL cores is not possible with the nominal TDP of the Chip (30W), however if it is a single core workload, it can sustain the 4.xGHz!

1 Like

Im really no expert, i installed mine on the Steam Deck and on my Framework 1240p, and all im trying is to let the fan come in really late. And that works great!

What i did on both devices, i stressed them for about 10-15 Minutes and afterwards used the devices normally. Charge, Shut Down, Surf the web, etc.

So maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in?

PTM is the way to go. @Jason_Dagless added some charts to this thread recently:

Yeah I’m seeing people doing the CPU + FPU on aida there and getting very little throttling - getting a lot more than that here, and of the 3 applications I’ve done it hasn’t much changed.

Try to stay with the application you have right now and see how it is in a few days!

1 Like

Will do! I do just wonder if the cooler itself isn’t grunty enough. I’m glad I didn’t go for the top level i7 - can’t see getting much sustained power out of it!

Few days later, this seems to have settled down. Many thanks for the advice!

2 Likes