Batch 5: November Recipients Unite!

Still awaiting an email confirming that they are taking out the final payment. Ordered Oct 10th and am hoping for a November delivery. The order says that it should be in Batch 5, November 2021 but this is already almost halfway through the month without a word.

I have also ordered a DIY i7 and hear only the crickets after the Nov 1st mail. Join the rest of us impatient people :). You are in good company.

1 Like

Ordered Oct 26.

CPU: DIY i5
Memory: 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
Wifi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
Storage: BYO (SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB for the low power, ordered on Amazon last week with a coupon discount; thanks to a tip here from @Somebody )
OS: BYO (Win10 Pro on the SSD, and likely dual booting Linux. Other OSes on external drives)

Expansion Cards:
(changed to 4x USB-C on Nov 1 after seeing threads here on power-drain with HDMI expansion)
1 Micro SD
3 USB-A
4 USB-C
2 DP
2 HDMI
2 250GB expansion (for switching OS mainly)

I was considering the Framework vs the i5 X1 Carbon Gen 9 for slightly less money, but decided on the Framework after seeing the responsiveness in the community. Love what Framework are doing and this is partly to support them.

I’m coming from a 6-year old Surface Pro 4 (with display flicker issues and a type cover that died in September, and running mainly with external monitors/remote desktop for the last couple of years).

Mine should be there Monday according to Fedex but it says that the no weekend option is selected. I changed the delivery option to keep at Fedex center. I hope that it gets there tomorrow and I can collect it even if they wouldn’t deliver it tomorrow.

Regardless, it’s safer if they don’t leave it at the door, no one knocks or asks for signature since covid.

I have been using mine since I got it. It says about 9:15 on a full charge. Based on my use, that is approximately true. Not bad for a Linux laptop in my opinion.

1 Like

My DIY i7 showed up this past Thursday. I installed the KDE respin of Fedora 35, and things seem to be working pretty well so far.

I put the same thing on my diy i7. I am liking it so far as well. Everything has worked out of the box so far.

I put in an order on Nov 8th, looks like I got in on the very end of batch 5. Really curious if it is going to make it here by the end of the month or not. My guess is not, but I’m not too concerned about that.

DIY i5
AX210 no vpro
2x USB-A
2x USB-C
BYO memory (SK Hynix 2x 8GB from eBay)
BYO SSD (SK Hynix P31 500GB from eBay)
BYO charger (have a couple on hand)
BYO OS, Arch linux (NO Winblows!)

Also scored a used sonnet 550 eGPU pretty cheap, working on finding a reasonable cost GPU card in the GTX 1050ti / 1060 range.

1 Like

I got mine today (shipping delay, probably due to storms in the area), installed Debian sid/experimental on it. By far the smoothest OOTB experience I’ve had with Linux on a laptop. Everything just works (other than having to use the unofficial ISO with non-free firmware, but that’s expected), and this thing is fast (for reference, I’m talking about the i5)!

Really glad I got this thing, and hoping it will last me a long time :blush:

1 Like

Got mine today and just threw my old hard drive in installed the driver package and everything worked perfectly

1 Like

Got mine a week ago,
DIY i5
AX210 no-vPro
2xUSB-A
2xUSB-C
1xuSD
1xHDMI
BYO 32GB Silicon Power 3200mhz kit
BYO 1TB Crucial P5
BYO charger: multiple
BYO OSes.

My i5 was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but Fedex felt it was OK to delay it a bit and say they will deliver it today. I will believe it when I actually have it in my hands :slight_smile: .

That happened to me too, so I got it yesterday instead of Friday. At least in my case, it was probably the stupidly violent storms on Friday evening/night that did it.

If I remember correctly, they delivered mine a day earlier than promised :slight_smile:

Hi all, i placed my order Nov 4th.

I am extremely excited to replace my old laptop i have been battling with for years, i look forward to this beast for my daily driver.

I am a software engineer in the .net world so i will be running windows.

Configuration:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™
  • Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
  • 2 USB-A
  • 1 HDMI
  • 2 USB-C

From the looks of other posts its generally 1 month from order right?

Wull, not for me, as of today. No second email yet.

For my i5 DIY edition, power supply and 7 cards.

Oct 2: Order confirmed
Nov 1: Preparing to ship your batch
*Nov 2: I asked to add some cards
Nov 9: Preparing to ship your order
Nov 9: Your order is shipping soon
Nov 10: Your order has shipped
Nov 13: Package arrived

but…

Nov 15: Order from newegg with the RAM I need should arrive. Right now it is the coolest thing I can’t actually use. So I am researching how to dual boot win10/linux off the Internal drive. Been on Mac for 15 years so my linux is out of date.

1 Like

Eagerly waiting for my i5 DIY, ordered on October 19th to replace my old dead laptop and haven’t seen the second email yet.

If I keep staring at the order it will ship faster, right? :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m waiting on my i5 DIY ordered on October 15th. I still haven’t received the second email either.
I was hoping to receive it before thanksgiving. I guess we just need to be patient!

3 Likes

Got my laptop in Saturday. Got it all built and am starting to use it and wow, I’m coming from a 2016 laptop so not a fair comparison, but what I’m really impressed by is the build quality. Absolutely beautiful. Such a solid laptop for how thin is it and the fact that it’s modular. It was also incredibly easy to build, with the most finicky part IMO being the Wifi card adaptor. (that was mainly me being scared and not realizing how much force I could use to push down the connector). The parts I brought in (Teamviewer RAM and hynix SSD) are working great and I love that there was an option for me to pick what I put in.

I was worried about the keyboard since I wouldn’t be able to try it in store and it’s really comfortable to type on. There’s a good amount of key travel and the homing nub on F and J are very tactile.

Overall, I’m so thrilled with this laptop and I’m excited to show everyone. My one thing is it’s actually much harder to remove the IO stuff than expected! Which is good for stability, but hard to swap quickly. I’m sure it’ll get easier overtime as I figure out the best way of doing it.

4 Likes