Batch 8 Guild

Tomorrow is Chinese new year.
It’s also happening in Singapore, I hope our laptops won’t be stuck there for 2 weeks :s

Actually yes :sweat_smile:
Damn, time flies

1 Like

The 28th Feb is Peace Memorial (228) day in Taiwan.

@KingKaz , At least you know there will always be one USB-C for charging, at least. :upside_down_face:

The expansion cards have been reported to be a little stiff to remove, but it gets easier with use and practice.

Yeah I’m aware of how difficult they are at the start, but I’ve managed every other one just fine. My fingers are red raw trying to remove it and no dice.

Between that and the rattly webcam module. I think I’ll be asking for a replacement.

I have had mine for a day and it seems pretty good, the fan is quiet under light load, and highest CPU temp I’ve seen is 72°c while compressing files, the screen and keyboard are both really nice. It also has that strange “new device smell”.
Problems I’ve had:

• the display bezel would grate annoyingly on the case when adjusting the screen; I solved this by re-installing it.
  • The fn keys would stick in Linux if multiple ones were pressed consecutively. (This seems to be a firmware bug, Framework have said they are working on a fix) I followed this thread and everything is now working fine.

Battery life seems to be about 5 to 6 hours (on Linux Mint) but I haven’t done anything to improve that yet. Overall I’m pretty happy with it, there are areas for improvement but it doesn’t seem to have shown any major annoyances or deal-breaking flaws yet.

Mine arrived today - although I’m out of the country, so it’ll be awhile before I can pick it up! :weary:

Mine arrived the afternoon of the 28th as scheduled and, having spent the last 7-8 hours on it, it’s safe to say that I’m in love! It’s so functional and feels quite sturdy. My only issue so far is the battery life.

Well okay, mine is still in the deposit state, they already informed about delays in the fulfillment centre.

But what is the concern about battery life? What is your experience? (How did you use it? What OS/App and how long did it run?)

Woooo finally got my stage 4 email. Good luck to everyone in batch 8.5!
UK DIY i7

Yeah same! Finally received my stage 4 email and also got a notification from my CC issuer that the money has been withdrawn.

DE i5 DIY

Just got my DHL tracking number
Its supposed to arrive to tomorrow

1 Like

Received my stage 4 email and notification from CC :slight_smile:

Ordered the 27th December FR i7 DIY

Same here. It showed tomorrow at first, but now has changed to an honestly more realistic March 4th.

DIY i5 to Germany

1 Like

Hmm…the tracking for mine has become frustrating!

When I look this morning it’s:
2022-02-25 23:23:36 Taipei, Processed for Export
2022-02-25 23:00:40 Taipei, Shipment Bagged Linex Ti-Ding Ave
2022-02-25 16:14:22 Taipei, Depot Scan Taipei
2022-02-24 10:27:40 Taipei, Order Printed
2022-02-24 10:27:37Taipei, Order Created

When I looked last night, a second Processed for Export had appeared dated the 28th, but now it’s disappeared again :confused:

Just put it on a planeeee!

Update on the mystery of the curved corners.

Framework support says it was a machining error and they’re investigating how it got out of the factory.

They’re sending me a replacement and a new type c expansion card. The new laptop has already shipped.

Can’t complain with the customer service.

7 Likes

Interesting. My frame.work reached Singapore on 28.02.2022 but it seems like it is not on the plane 3S539 that left today. Bummer. If it takes the same way it might arrive on Friday when I am sitting on the plane leaving the country. DHL Express tracking is also saying it arrives on Friday.

I think my experience is in line with what other people have said. I’m on Windows 10 with screen brightness set as low as possible and the power mode set to ‘Better battery’. With a few tabs open on Firefox and no video playing, it seems like it’d get around 7-8 hours which is fine. If I have a video going then it drops to 4-6ish hours. I usually have Microsoft Word open as well, but that doesn’t seem to have much effect on battery life for me. I tried playing League of Legends and it ran beautifully but the battery estimate dropped to 2 hours, and it lost maybe 10% during a 20 min match. Since my use case leans more towards light work and browsing, battery life isn’t a major problem. Typing this on the Framework now - the keyboard feels so springy and satisfying!

Got mine all setup now. I set the time and date and the battery charge to max 90%. I applied this strategy to my Mate 10 Pro phone (no overnight charging and charge to max 90%) and I still have 93% charge after 3 and a half years.

I installed Windows 11 Pro on it and used the latest Win 11 driver pack and then went to Intel for any newer drivers. There were three.

All working nice and smooth. The WD SN850 is pumping out 6775MBps in Read and 5200MBps in Writes. The Kingston 3200 CAS 20 ram works just fine. I did put a 1.5mm SSD thermal pad on top of the SSD. 64C is as hot as I’ve seen it go.

Running the Heaven Benchmark at 1080p gave me an average of 39FPS and a Passmark Benchmark score of 3744. The CPU/2D/3D are all middling scores but the RAM got 3157/75th Percentile and the DiskMark got 42241 99th percentile so it’s not the ram or SSD that are holding the machine back. Irony as in most laptops those two are usually the worst parts.

I’m a happy bunny. :grinning:

4 Likes

@Jason_Dagless Any specific thermal pad?