Batch 8 Guild

thats a good question

I’d be suprised if they’d announce anything more specific. Now, since this is all wildly speculative anyway I’ll throw in:

Publicly announced dates are a risk for costumer disappointment from a company perspective. Thus I’d expext them to have chosen the “February” wording being reasonably confident in their ability to ship in that month.

Logically to me that implies their internal timeline should lean more towards early February to allow them some buffer to keep in line with their “promise” to the consumer, if there are delays.

8 Likes

From reading some of the previous batch threads, it seems like Framework have been fairly reliably starting to ship around the middle of the month. But this time it will be different because the units are shipping directly from manufacture, not going to the US first, as I understand it. So theoretically, it should be reasonably reliable, but it will rely on Framework ramping up their ability to correctly assemble the laptops and also to correctly assemble the huge variants of SKUs into shipping.

I assume (hope) they aren’t going to ship every order individually from the far east, and will instead be shipping bulk to a distributor in the UK/DE/FR or all three, from where individual orders will be locally shipped. No idea if that’ll be the way, but that has proven the most reliable method I’ve seen thus far and may also give them a bit more capacity to assemble individual orders from stock locally.

8 Likes

Preordered an i5 model with a single 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD from France. It’s in batch 9 so hopefully I will be able to get it in March.

Let’s see how Framework handles logistics problems in Europe.

2 Likes

Hey Batch 8 Guild! DIY order here. Config as follows:

• Intel i7-1185G
  • 2TB WD BLACK SN850 NVMe
  • 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
  • Expansion cards: 4 x USB-C, 1 x USB-A, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x SD card

Any ideas when Batch 8 ships? I can only see ‘February’. Can’t wait to receive and build!

1 Like

Hello Guild,

i7-1165G7
1TB NVMe
1x16GB
1x USB-A
2x USB-C
1x HDMI

1x plan to make a magnetic charge adapter:
https://community.frame.work/t/full-power-magnetic-charging-card/10113

I can’t wait to install Debian 11 on this machine!

1 Like

UK here.

Basic i5 (more was too expensive, and not a fan of i7s in laptops because I believe it’s too much heat to reasonably manage)
Buying my own ram because I can get it cheaper
Buying my own storage because not keen on WD
didn’t buy a charger, £50 is a lot and I’d rather use one of the (currently) redundant bricks I have lying around.
1x USB-c, 3x USB-A and 1x HDMI. Would have bought an SD slot if one was available, I don’t think I’d have too much use for a micro.

Will probably be running Devuan.

definitely will be getting an AMD board when one comes out.

2 Likes

Germany, Batch 8 here

I also went for the i5, I don’t think the additional performance is worth the additional 300€ for the i7 for me.
RAM I still have to buy, I’ll probably go for 2x32GB. Thinking of this kit:
SSD will be a 2TB 970 EVO plus I already have.
3xUSB-C, 1xUSB-A, 1xDP, 1xHDMI.
I’m planning on using Manjaro.

I also have a Razer Core X case and a GTX960, so I’m planning to set that up for some casual gaming and some very basic GPU-computing. A more powerful GPU would be great, but not with current GPU prices.

@Uwe I’m also interested in the magnetic charge adapter. Have you already found a European seller for the components?

Can’t wait for shipping to start, I already ordered before christmas. So it’s been a while and my Thinkpad X260 doesn’t always have the performance I’d like it to have.

2 Likes

Yeah. And considering the Intel 12 gen improvements an 11 gen i7 may not be so worthy. I decided to go with an i5 since I don’t want to waste my time waiting for the new models.

@Dario_Bosch The magnetic piece is available in online stores, the extender (34mm type) is a real challenge as I can’t find it available. For the case you need to find a 3D printer. There is still some time, I expect the laptop to arrive late in February, if not March.

A DIY version UK supporter on Batch 8 here.

Went for the i7-1165G7 variant just because i5 Batch 8 has already been sold out by the time I placed my order. Bought 2x16GB memory from Framework, as I don’t see that much a price difference compared to other marketplaces so might as well support the company. Though I did purchase SSD somewhere else since they only have few choices available.
Got the following expansions:
2x USB-A
2x USB-C
1x HDMI
Also got the power adapter, you can always have another spare one :stuck_out_tongue:

Regarding the potential shipping dates, I think andyk2 illustrated it pretty well.
One thing I might add is that it’s Lunar New Year next week, thus I don’t expect Framework to start shipping batches next week since 31/1-4/2 are bank holidays in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Good point, forgot about that. Any hope of a very early February shipping start then would rely on using an EU distributor and the devices being in transit to the EU now then I guess… I guess that’s unlikely! Oh the pain of waiting!

2 Likes

UK Supporter checking in.
i5 (i7 nowhere near worth the added cost, would have preferred Ryzen of course), 3 x USB-C, 1 x USB-A.
PSU
Will source RAM and Drive from scan.co.uk
Not sure if Win11 + WSL or Fedora35 yet
Will source a matte screen protector too. Now, we wait…

There are reports of some screen protectors damaging the framework’s display when removed. I would recommend you search these forums and read up on the reports before you apply a screen protector

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

UK (and EU, presumably) batch 8 people: it’s not too late to snag a SK Hynix Gold P31 SSD from the USA. I got one from eBay relatively easily and it arrived yesterday, just waiting for a Framework laptop to be installed into. It’s hopefully a nice SSD for power and heat reasons and it’s not really available in the UK. It did take a couple of weeks for shipping, though. But as we’re all waiting for our laptops anyway…

SK Hynix Gold P31 is also currently available on UK amazon via the US amazon import scheme. Mine arrived today from US amazon. £75 for 500GB

2 Likes

Servus, just found this thread.
I’m patiently waiting for the DIY edition i5 with 2x 8GB RAM and the SN850 500GB.
I’m planning on using PopOS (really happy about the guide they posted recently.)
I’m excited about the future of this machine and what will be possible in the years to come.

4 Likes

guys and gals, it’s the month!

i wish everyone that will get their laptop in this batch a flawless delivery and setup process,
but above all a fabulous experience with their future laptop of the highest class and
best repairability on this planet. :slight_smile:

i’m already so stoked to get my unit this month as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

hello from France,

So I’m a Batch 8’s member since dec 21 29th :slight_smile: too.
for a DYI edition with

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Memory: 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 500GB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe
  • 1 USB-C + 1 HDMI + 2 USB A
  • French Keyboard
  • power adapter

the good news is that we are now in february ! wait and see !

4 Likes