Batch 8 Guild

hello from France,

So I’m a Batch 8’s member since dec 21 29th :slight_smile: too.
for a DYI edition with

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Memory: 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 500GB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe
  • 1 USB-C + 1 HDMI + 2 USB A
  • French Keyboard
  • power adapter

the good news is that we are now in february ! wait and see !

4 Likes

I’m starting to get fidgety now. I have my SSD. My RAM arrives today. I have a text file full of notes about how to install Arch how I want and with all the workarounds for potential problems listed. Ready to go!

5 Likes

Yep the wait is increasingly painful now! My SSD and RAM are waiting next to my printer and a blank drive ready to make my Windows 11 install media closer to the time to minimise day 1 update needs!

5 Likes

Stumbled across this while searching for shipping updates! UK member of the Batch 8 Guild. Seems my set-up has been mostly covered by others throughout the thread:

From Framework:
Core i5 - I’ll consider an upgrade to either team’s latest in due course.
16GB RAM as supplied
Power Adaptor - I don’t have a USB-C charger yet!
Expansion Micro-SD
2x Expansion USB-A
2x Expansion USB-C

Additionally:
1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD
Arch Linux running KDE Plasma
Windows 10 Enterprise - my parents and I have a 10-seat key we got in 2016, so I can guilt-free use my old laptop’s slot.
A bunch of stickers & stuff to decorate the back of the screen with :smile:

Once I’m all set up, I’ll take a deeper dive into the expansion cards, maybe starting with some microcontrollers, mag charging and Ethernet!

3 Likes

Hi everyone, is there any topic/blog where start of batch shipping is announced? Are we still on track for Feb shipment of Batch 8?

1 Like

There is this post which suggests that emails might be going out starting this week or soon after:

3 Likes

Given the process that @nrp outlined in his post, February looks to me like it’s going to be a close call… Given that we (or at least I) haven’t received a notification that fulfilment is ramping up, shipping won’t start before the end of next week. That only leaves one more week for the actual shipping to happen.
Nevertheless, I ordered this in December. So one or two more weeks of waiting won’t do any harm… besides to my impatience maybe.

6 Likes

Any news on how Batch 8 is coming along? Looking forward to tracking it down to the UK.

1 Like

I am also wondering what shipping in February is supposed to mean (shipping from within EU or shipping from TW?) and if they are shipping by ship or air. I will leave the country for at least two months beginning of March and I had hoped to take the laptop with me. No heart broken if it does not work, but still.

2 Likes

Yeah, some clarity on that would be really appreciated.

If they’re shipping non-express direct from Taiwan it could take an eternity to get to Europe….weeks upon weeks upon weeks usually!

1 Like

im not sure they can bulk ship by air because of the batteries, the aviation industry gets very nervous about lion batteries in bulk, somewhat understandably.

They’ve said it will be the same shipping process they used for the early batches to the USA and Canada, which arrived in a matter of days by all accounts.

2 Likes

The whole shipping process of Batch 4 (US) took two weeks as TsukidaEiko mentioned:

If I play with the “Transit Times” tool on the fedEx website (FedEx | System Down), It takes 5 days from Taiwan to USA as well as germany. It appears the batch will to be transported by air. Is there any information which packing delivery service is commissioned for the EU?

1 Like

No, we’ve not had any detail at all, other than that the emails will be the same as the US…

It would really be good to have this detail so that we can all know what roughly to expect when things do start happening, which is why I’m trying to push Framework to provide us with at least some level of expectation. For a supposedly open company, they have got really depressingly corporate in their communication style recently.

1 Like

For a small company they have a lot to do right now and making an announcement about the impending announcement of the initiation of the dispatch process seems a bit… superfluous?

3 Likes

Sure, they have a lot to do. I didn’t say they didn’t! But people are asking specific questions and getting no response. This is quite an important launch for them - they need to be international if they want to really succeed - so you would think they would be keen to show they are confident in it going well. I’m not asking them to promise exactly when it’ll be delivered, just to clarify the process of how the intend to get it delivered. There’s a vast number of variables that each can have a huge impact on the expectation in terms of time from dispatch to delivery, and at the moment we know none of the answers.

How they are distributing their product also has an impact on how we can expect support to work - are we going to have to ship stuff to Taiwan to return it? That’s gonna get difficult. If they aren’t actually building/partnering infrastructure in Europe now, that’s also going to mean it’s going to take a lot longer to get Marketplace up and running here.

3 Likes

Ordered 8 weeks ago.

DIY Build
Intel i7-1165G7

Have sourced -
Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL20 ram 1.2v
WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

As for Cards -
2 x USB A
2 x USB C
I have never hooked my laptops up to projectors or monitors, plus I have a USB C to HDMI cable anyway.

Just hoping it arrives in a couple of weeks or so. The lack of updates is concerning for such a large outlay.

I’m also waiting for batch 8, but personally I never expected anything before the end of February. Framework said they would notify me of any important information, and I have no reason to doubt that.

So it’ll be another two weeks before I start getting nervous.

1 Like

I don’t get this honestly. What is the benefit of this extra information?
From the company’s perspective, it does not seem prudent to raise any unneccesary expectations, as it can lead only to disappointment if something goes wrong.

3 Likes

Part of their reason for doing the pre-orders as a reservation and then full payment shortly before dispatch is to manage that anxiety.

1 Like