Batch 8 Guild

Got the i7-1165G7, 32GB & a 1TB SN850.

Will be planning to give my Thinkpad T440p to my parents.

Personally can’t wait to try Sway on that 3:2 aspect ratio :smiley:

4 Likes

If you’re ordering the DIY edition, SSD prices are currently very low. I’ve picked up a Samsung 1TB 980 Pro for £130. There are deals on Amazon and (UK based) Scan at the moment.

If you want to stay with the ‘supported’ WD 750 / 850 line, those are also a good price.

Prices might go down nearer the time batch 8 will ship, but prices are currently better than many Black Friday deals.

4 Likes

One more UK batch 8 here DIY “base model” :slight_smile: - probably run Zorin 16 or MX …

I’m in with Batch 8! UK order here. I went basic as possible, i5 no ram no storage.

I intend to keep this laptop for a while and so getting the cheaper one now in hopes for a top end AMD one in the future is my goal.

Will be buying 32gb RAM when it’s dispatched, and I’ve already got a 512gb Samsung nvme drive, can’t remember the model.

Not sure on if I’ll be going windows 10 or 11 yet! Really hoping this doesn’t get delayed as I’m currently sans computer haha!

2 Likes

Here I am: I’ve ordered my Framework just a couple of hours after the announcement for the pre-orders in the UK. Here is my config:

DIY Edition
Core I5
8GB (I already have another matching 8GB DDR4-3200 stick)
I bring my own SSD
2x USB-C
1x USB-A
1x HDMI
1x MicroSD reader (didn’t want an external dongle for it…)

I plan to run Arch (by the way) on it, but I’d love to experiment with other interesting distros, perhaps Solus / Budgie or Nix. I have also a spare Windows Pro licence (usable even in Win11), but I think I will run it in a Virtual Machine, because I don’t have much use for this OS and, also, I already have a QEMU image up and running that I can easily migrate.

3 Likes

Ooh, I have been in the guild for a few days but I only just found out it exists.

Here’s my order:
DIY
i7-1165G7
Bringing my own memory but have not yet decided which sticks or how much. Maybe 64GB.
I have ordered a 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 on eBay from the USA because everyone raves about the power efficiency of this SSD but they’re hard to find.
2 x USB-C
2 x USB-A
Micro SD
HDMI
DP

I also plan to use Arch. For most Linux stuff I use Manjaro because I don’t have time to mess around and it just works. But this laptop is mainly for fun and if I’m putting everything else together I might as well do my own Arch setup. Gentoo would be going too far, though…

1 Like

Hello fellow Guild 8 bretheren,

I have ordered the i5 model and bring my own 16GB memory kit and an old 500GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive.
I plan to dual-boot windows and manjaro sway edition.

2 Likes

Also UK here, I’ve ordered DIY edition with

i7 no vPro (i5 would have put me in Batch 9)
16gb ram
1tb SSD
2xusb a
1xusb c
1xHDMI
1xDP

Planning to continue to run Void Linux + sway on it.
I’m considering changing my order to remove the SSD though, since it’s firmware can only be updated through windows.

4 Likes

You’ll love it! Sway is excellent on the Framework! I used it through Ubuntu 20.04 (which just to note, is not an officially supported version of Ubuntu).

3 Likes

Any guesses when they will start shipping?
I know it says february, but more in the beginning or more at the end?
I am really excited for my framework.

7 Likes

thats a good question

I’d be suprised if they’d announce anything more specific. Now, since this is all wildly speculative anyway I’ll throw in:

Publicly announced dates are a risk for costumer disappointment from a company perspective. Thus I’d expext them to have chosen the “February” wording being reasonably confident in their ability to ship in that month.

Logically to me that implies their internal timeline should lean more towards early February to allow them some buffer to keep in line with their “promise” to the consumer, if there are delays.

8 Likes

From reading some of the previous batch threads, it seems like Framework have been fairly reliably starting to ship around the middle of the month. But this time it will be different because the units are shipping directly from manufacture, not going to the US first, as I understand it. So theoretically, it should be reasonably reliable, but it will rely on Framework ramping up their ability to correctly assemble the laptops and also to correctly assemble the huge variants of SKUs into shipping.

I assume (hope) they aren’t going to ship every order individually from the far east, and will instead be shipping bulk to a distributor in the UK/DE/FR or all three, from where individual orders will be locally shipped. No idea if that’ll be the way, but that has proven the most reliable method I’ve seen thus far and may also give them a bit more capacity to assemble individual orders from stock locally.

8 Likes

Preordered an i5 model with a single 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD from France. It’s in batch 9 so hopefully I will be able to get it in March.

Let’s see how Framework handles logistics problems in Europe.

2 Likes

Hey Batch 8 Guild! DIY order here. Config as follows:

• Intel i7-1185G
  • 2TB WD BLACK SN850 NVMe
  • 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
  • Expansion cards: 4 x USB-C, 1 x USB-A, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x SD card

Any ideas when Batch 8 ships? I can only see ‘February’. Can’t wait to receive and build!

1 Like

Hello Guild,

i7-1165G7
1TB NVMe
1x16GB
1x USB-A
2x USB-C
1x HDMI

1x plan to make a magnetic charge adapter:
https://community.frame.work/t/full-power-magnetic-charging-card/10113

I can’t wait to install Debian 11 on this machine!

1 Like

UK here.

Basic i5 (more was too expensive, and not a fan of i7s in laptops because I believe it’s too much heat to reasonably manage)
Buying my own ram because I can get it cheaper
Buying my own storage because not keen on WD
didn’t buy a charger, £50 is a lot and I’d rather use one of the (currently) redundant bricks I have lying around.
1x USB-c, 3x USB-A and 1x HDMI. Would have bought an SD slot if one was available, I don’t think I’d have too much use for a micro.

Will probably be running Devuan.

definitely will be getting an AMD board when one comes out.

2 Likes

Germany, Batch 8 here

I also went for the i5, I don’t think the additional performance is worth the additional 300€ for the i7 for me.
RAM I still have to buy, I’ll probably go for 2x32GB. Thinking of this kit:
SSD will be a 2TB 970 EVO plus I already have.
3xUSB-C, 1xUSB-A, 1xDP, 1xHDMI.
I’m planning on using Manjaro.

I also have a Razer Core X case and a GTX960, so I’m planning to set that up for some casual gaming and some very basic GPU-computing. A more powerful GPU would be great, but not with current GPU prices.

@Uwe I’m also interested in the magnetic charge adapter. Have you already found a European seller for the components?

Can’t wait for shipping to start, I already ordered before christmas. So it’s been a while and my Thinkpad X260 doesn’t always have the performance I’d like it to have.

2 Likes

Yeah. And considering the Intel 12 gen improvements an 11 gen i7 may not be so worthy. I decided to go with an i5 since I don’t want to waste my time waiting for the new models.

@Dario_Bosch The magnetic piece is available in online stores, the extender (34mm type) is a real challenge as I can’t find it available. For the case you need to find a 3D printer. There is still some time, I expect the laptop to arrive late in February, if not March.