Batch 8 Guild

Try using a dummy email account like mail@mail.com. It will go “oh dear…use a local account!”

1 Like

I’m not a Windos guy anymore for ages due to that kind of garbage from MS.
But as far is I saw from several random sources, that’s a new “feature” of Windows and you simply cannot use a local account anymore.

Disappointing to hear about the keyboard. Persevere with the webform - reCAPTCHA is a ridiculously unreliable experience :frowning: It took me three attempts last time. If it helps, I find it’s more reliable on my iPhone than my PC!

Regards Windows, I thought all Windows Home installations had that requirement for ages now, but if you Google a bit there are various ways to get around it…Or just make a dummy Microsoft account. Personally I just use my Microsoft account anyway but then I don’t really understand what people are so worried about!

Welp. Delivery of my laptop failed because they couldn’t get access to my building. Sigh. Never mind.

Mine arrived a few hours ago, just finished setting it up.

Dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 20.04

I think i’m going to miss the full number-pad from my current laptop but i’ll soon get over it.

i love the build quality of the framework

1 Like

The way around it is to ensure Wi-Fi is off during setup then it asks you to create a local account. Should have know and when I set up my Fairphone I ensured Wi-Fi was off to avoid Google gaggle.

Thanks

RE the CAPTCHA it doesn’t even offer a game to play :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turns out these dodgy rounded corners mean I can’t get my type c expansion card out. All the others I can get out just fine. Not that one.

I have mine, Windows is installed, and I am posting this from my new Framework!
Only issue with it was one of the RAM clips was slightly bent down, so it took some convinving to get the clip above the RAM stick

1 Like

Just to let future people know what timeline to expect. My experience can be summarised as:

18th Dec - ordered (DIY i5 edition, for UK, estimated dispatch date sometime in Feb)
14th Feb - “We’re preparing your batch” email
17th Feb - “Payment Complete” email
21st Feb - “Dispatched” email with tracking number
27th Feb - delivered (by DPD, on a Sunday no less)

5 Likes

Tomorrow is Chinese new year.
It’s also happening in Singapore, I hope our laptops won’t be stuck there for 2 weeks :s

Actually yes :sweat_smile:
Damn, time flies

1 Like

The 28th Feb is Peace Memorial (228) day in Taiwan.

@KingKaz , At least you know there will always be one USB-C for charging, at least. :upside_down_face:

The expansion cards have been reported to be a little stiff to remove, but it gets easier with use and practice.

Yeah I’m aware of how difficult they are at the start, but I’ve managed every other one just fine. My fingers are red raw trying to remove it and no dice.

Between that and the rattly webcam module. I think I’ll be asking for a replacement.

I have had mine for a day and it seems pretty good, the fan is quiet under light load, and highest CPU temp I’ve seen is 72°c while compressing files, the screen and keyboard are both really nice. It also has that strange “new device smell”.
Problems I’ve had:

• the display bezel would grate annoyingly on the case when adjusting the screen; I solved this by re-installing it.
  • The fn keys would stick in Linux if multiple ones were pressed consecutively. (This seems to be a firmware bug, Framework have said they are working on a fix) I followed this thread and everything is now working fine.

Battery life seems to be about 5 to 6 hours (on Linux Mint) but I haven’t done anything to improve that yet. Overall I’m pretty happy with it, there are areas for improvement but it doesn’t seem to have shown any major annoyances or deal-breaking flaws yet.

Mine arrived today - although I’m out of the country, so it’ll be awhile before I can pick it up! :weary:

Mine arrived the afternoon of the 28th as scheduled and, having spent the last 7-8 hours on it, it’s safe to say that I’m in love! It’s so functional and feels quite sturdy. My only issue so far is the battery life.

Well okay, mine is still in the deposit state, they already informed about delays in the fulfillment centre.

But what is the concern about battery life? What is your experience? (How did you use it? What OS/App and how long did it run?)

Woooo finally got my stage 4 email. Good luck to everyone in batch 8.5!
UK DIY i7

Yeah same! Finally received my stage 4 email and also got a notification from my CC issuer that the money has been withdrawn.

DE i5 DIY