Battery Case Schematics

Hello,
I remember that awhile ago the Framework team debuted a battery case along with the standalone mainboard case at an event some years ago.
While I know that the cad files for the mainboard case were released, I wanted to know if it would be at all possible for the framework team to release the schematics for the battery case used at the event.
I’m not an electrical engineer by any means, but I would love to reuse the 55wh battery from when I upgraded. having schematics detailing cad files to send to a printer, and which components to use to charge and recharge the battery would be very helpful in creating a solution without electrocuting myself.
I’m not asking for a new product, just the schematics for the existing prototype if at all possible. A response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 Likes

There might be something in the Framework Github that might help you: Framework · GitHub

I was able to find the schematics and pinout for the battery itself, but nothing regarding the demo unit for repurposing it into a battery bank.
For example, if I go to the github and check the framework 13 repository under Mainboard, they have the files for the printable mainboard case in a clearly marked folder

if I check under the battery for the framework 13, I can see the files for the battery itself but no equivalent file or readme instructions for a battery case.

1 Like

I edited my previous reply to show where I looked on the github, and after another check, I was unable to find anything regarding schematics for a battery case, or what components would be needed to make one.
Is it at all possible for someone from the Framework team to publish the parts and schematics for the demo unit, the one mentioned in this article?

The Verge, Mar 2023 Cooler Master Case and Battery Enclosure Demo

…Framework is also showing off a proof-of-concept battery case today that could turn your old laptop battery into a USB-C charger for other devices…

The proof-of-concept battery enclosure. Photo by Sean Hollister / The Verge

I can’t comment on that as I’m not part of the Framework team however, I can provide that feedback to them.

1 Like

I would greatly appreciate it if you passed the feedback along.
I’m fairly certain that it’s just a matter of publishing the schematics not being a high priority as opposed to the mainboard case that was announced around the same time

1 Like

I’d like to revive this thread to see if anything else is available? Highly interested in trying to learn more about how the battery works and how one might start to work on a battery case. Especially if any of the documentation hinted at in the Verge article could be released.

1 Like

Definitely still interested myself. Honestly? I think it’d be good for framework in the long run. Most people would pick the bigger battery for the fw13, but as a standalone battery the lower 55wh one would look really appealing. And being able to re-use it would give folks an extra incentive to upgrade their existing 55wh ones to the bigger capacity.

1 Like