Battery slowly drains when completely shut down

Yeah, I don’t care for the rechargeable RTC battery. I like the old school CR-2032 coin cells.

3 Likes

There was already a bug addressed by the 3.07 bios where the laptop wouldn’t even boot on a full mains battery charge if the RTC battery was low. I’ve never seen an issue like that on laptops using an old-school CR-2032.

1 Like

Yeah, I get it. And despite my curmudgeonly griping here, the Framework laptop is so awesome in so many ways. This particular bug is just painful for my use case.

3 Likes

Remember, if you’re using linux you can reboot directly into the bios by entering this in the terminal: systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

1 Like

Yeah, Linux is good like that. But I only do this once a month, so I’m sure I’ll forget (just like last time) to boot back into bios. Regardless, I’m hoping this is a short-term work around. If this issue is fixed, I’ll sit down, shut my mouth, and be plenty happy with the laptop.

1 Like

We have a fix for the high battery drain when powered down that will be released in bios 3.08.

35 Likes

@Kieran_Levin Excellent news indeed! And kudos on open-sourcing the firmware too.

2 Likes

Incredible! Eagerly waiting for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED IN A LAPTOP COMPANY! Thank you framework.

2 Likes

Awesome! Just in case, could it somehow affect/improve the situation with battery drain during normal sleep?

5 Likes

Is there a way to receive notifications for new BIOS/driver bundles? I’m also excited for 3.08!

I typically run my laptop plugged and then shut it down charged. Either in Windows 11 or Ubuntu latest. I also regularly find my battery fully discharged the next time I power up the system. Am I loosing my mind? Is there a BIOS setting that is messed up? Is my battery bad? I don’t get great run time but I don’t spent a lot of time on it. I haven’t used it much since I purchased it as it is my home device. What to try next?

1 Like

Well that would be good. Is there any work around till then? Or is my only option to store it plugged in if I want it to be charged on bit up?

From 100% to 0% fully powered off would take months, going off of another user reporting ~6% drain per week.

Given the very long time between boots, the temporary workaround for now would be to disconnect the battery from the BIOS before shutting down. Note that re-attaching AC will re-enable the battery, and you must do so next time you want to boot.

Oh no this is dead after 5 days powered off. If it was weeks I wouldn’t have posted.

1 Like

Make sure it’s actually fully off then, and not on standby. 100% over 5 days powered off is abnormal.

Another data point for you guys here: I received my batch 8 laptop. Charged it fully to 90% (limit set in bios), and then went on holiday for a week with the laptop switched off and unplugged. After the week the battery was still at 84%, which is perfectly acceptable and expected for me.

1 Like

I too have this issue, I don’t use my laptop daily, I just keep it in my backpack in case I need it… After a week at most two, the laptop will go from 100% to so dead the Red ring around the power button doesn’t even light up. I haven’t tried removing the modules to see if that helps… but I shouldn’t need to do that.

I work in IT and deal with Dell laptops daily, I can grab most laptops off the shelf from our decommisioned pile after months and they’ll still have a charge.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up @Charles_Fairchild and everyone else. @feesh Should I attempt to RMA the battery then? Like I said a week or two would be fine. But we are talking about several days and I am validating that it is powered off not just asleep.