Browsers keep causing kernel panic

Hi all,

I’ve been using my Batch 8 DIY edition with Linux for a while now, initially with ElementaryOS then Manjaro.
One consistent thing I noticed is that my Firefox keeps crashing my device, it always started with a “Firefox not responsive”. However I can never force quit it, and after several seconds my device always freeze with Caps Lock blinking.

I’ve been experimenting with different configurations to figure out the issue but couldn’t find any specific cause:

• reinstalled Ubuntu 22.04 does not resolve the crash
  • Chromium-based browsers (Chromium, Vivaldi, Edge) seems to crash less frequent, but not entirely immune from it
  • Whether the system is booting cold or resuming from hibernation, it does not seem to have any difference.
  • Use memtester to stress test my 32GB memory, didn’t find any issue.

Any idea on what could be the cause of this? Wondering if I should get in touch with Framework to figure out if it’s a motherboard issue or anything.

What’s your SSD? Is that getting hot? Any kernel panics when not using a browser?

1. Saw in another thread there are some similar issues with WD SN850, but I’m using a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB which the OP claimed to resolve his/her issue.
  2. Haven’t check the temperature actually since the loading should be fairly minimal. Will keep an eye on that.
  3. Most if not all the kernel panic happens after the “Browser not responsive” dialog.

Just had another crash couple minutes ago. Cold boot after two days, 10 minutes into using Edge, SSD temperature under 40 Celsius.

Found this line in syslog:

x86/split lock detection: #AC: crashing the kernel on kernel split_locks and warning on user-space split_locks