Can the FW16 be used while closed and stored vertically?

Per the title, I have a dual-monitor setup that takes up most of my desk space. I’ve seen vertical laptop stands that I would love to use for my FW16 to “dock” it while in use at the desk. I’ve seen that some laptops though have thermal intakes under the keyboard and generate enough heat to possibly damage the screen.

Do we know enough yet to determine if the FW16 can be used this way safely?

1 Like

I believe we know that the thermal intakes for this are on the bottom, and most (all?) of the heat exchange takes place in the expansion bay, so as long as the stand isn’t too obstructive, I don’t see airflow being a problem, especially if you can put it nose-down.

1 Like

There are intake vents between the keyboard and the hinge.

2 Likes

So no damaging the screen, as the intake is not hot.
But you might lose some performance while running closed. If you need every bit of performance you might want to open it a tiny bit.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I recently contacted their support to ask this question and was informed that running heavy loads with the lid closed “will affect thermals”. I was on the fence and had yet to pre-order, so now I think I’m going to wait and see what others experience once these are out for a while. I just thought I should mention it here in case anyone else is wondering since Framework themselves indicate it will make a difference.

2 Likes

From photo’s the fans intake air from the top and bottom, so it’s likely to impact the amount of air available if you run it with the lid closed.

I guess it’s wait and see.

Well, seems we have an answer. This reviewer tested with both the lid open and closed and it seems to make a negligible difference.

2 Likes