Vertical Laptop Stand for Desk

I was just wondering if anyone has used a vertical laptop stand? Here is an example of a stand I would like to use. This would require the lid to be closed. It appears that the air intake is at the base of the screen on the Framework laptop. My only concern would be the restricted air flow for cooling and any long term thermal impact the the CPU.

OMOTON Vertical Laptop Stand[Adjustable Size], Aluminum Desktop Laptop Holder, Compatible with All MacBook, Laptops(Up to 17.3 inch), Silver https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077FXSF89/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_R7P61MYYGJ7XYM19Z95R?psc=1

I’m open to other suggestions.

1 Like

I have not yet used a vertical stand on any laptop. However my normal laptop cooling pad that blows air into the bottom with a fan has been great for dropping temps on the FW. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible to design a vertical stand with integrated fan that does the same thing. I’m not sure if it was just a typo but a minor correction would be that the port under the screen is actually the exhaust.

Your point about limiting airflow still stands though, as the position of the screen might increase back pressure when closed (someone on the FW team would have to comment on if they’ve gotten any CFD done on that, but it’s not likely). All that means is that a low static pressure fan might struggle to keep moving adequate amounts of air through. Later this weekend I could run a very simple test by just setting up two stress tests, one with lid open and one closed. I could tell you the average cpu temp for each.

@Frosty Thanks, I wasn’t sure vent on the bottom of the laptop was intake or exhaust. Don’t feel the need to perform any tests on my account, however if this was something you were going to do anyway, I would be interested in the results.

I’m in batch 4 so I’m waiting to get my hands on my new laptop.

I like that stand, but because the air exhausts from the rear of the laptop, I would just put it in the stand lid opening down. That way you are just venting hot air vertically into the air.

1 USB C cable going to a dock and you’re good.

Thanks, just went ahead and got it through amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Vertical-OMOTON-Adjustable-manufacturer/dp/B078W3QSZY) I got a Linux laptop which has a faulty video cable, and this would be a great way to permanently park it but still use it. Although I am concerned about the screen dealing with heat being so close to the source of it. Normally the screen is open when the unit is crunching the numbers.

If you mean “use” in general, not necessarily with the Framework, I made these:

The first is what I currently use, the second was a “first pass.” Obviously, if you wanted one, it’d require a 3D printer (or using one of the online printing services) and some parts, but I’m a big fan of the idea. I’m hearing the WD19TB doesn’t work well with the Framework so I may need to look for a new dock, and as part of that I’ll probably have to do another iteration of this, but it won’t change drastically. I like it for the space savings, really lowers the overall footprint.

Nice stand. I was in the middle of making something similar for the FW laptop. Still trying to figure out if I’m really going to buy a 200 dollar thunderbolt dock to fit into it though… It’s a tough pill to swallow right now for my secondary laptop (yes, I have too many electronics. That would be my tertiary computer… In my defense though this laptop is for travel and around the house use, and both laptops are shared between me and my gf in that situation).

A couple notes for some differences between our stands: I’m mounting my laptop hinge side up. This way the heat vents up and out, as opposed to down into hard (and unperforated) plastic. I’m also throwing in a dust filter in front of the fan. Currently also considering having it be a clamped-down mechanism, so that I can hang the whole thing off the side of my desk. My desk is weirdly shaped though, so may or may not end up doing this last piece. I’m also considering capping off the sides to make myself less paranoid of it slipping out sideways if I bump into it.

You don’t have to go TB3/4, you could go USB3-C and save a bit. If/when I redo my design I’m gonna try it in OpenSCAD so it’s a bit easier to be parametric for easier end-user adjustments. The big advantage to getting a dock is if you have multiple devices it’s really easy to switch things around at your desk without much hassle/readjustment. Always the same desk/monitors/keyboard/mouse between my personal laptop and work laptop while working from home.

As for the differences, I went hinge down because of the design XPS 13, and stability, what I had when I originally made it. It works for my XPS 15 well still, but my work Latitude 7390 does struggle a bit with the layout. I also just feel like a lot of the weight of my laptops are towards the hinge and feel safer having that lower center of gravity. I have thought about putting some cut-outs where the cable cubby is to provide some airflow paths for the redo. I also do have a dust filter on the air inlet side of the fan. I like the clamp-to-hang idea, reduce the footprint in a round about way by getting off the available space.

I agree on the USB-C dock, currently I’m waffling between those two options. TB would be nice for future upgradability but isn’t strictly necessary. My current idea is to have a swappable carrier for the dock, so I can change my mind later.

Finally made the purchase and here is the update. I followed the recommendation from @2disbetter and put the lid down. Works well and also added one of the stickers for an added flair.

3 Likes