Can windows be transferred to another pc with ssd?

Hello,

My MSI stealth GS65 recently died of water damage, and i’m looking into buying a new laptop.

I need a new laptop capable of duel booting windows and linux. Ideally I don’t want to buy windows if it is avoidable, so my question is if i put my old ssd from my MSI GS65 stealth into my framework laptop, will i have a functional windows 11? (My old laptop was running windows 11)

Thanks,
john

If the laptop came with windows ; then the activation key is tied to a variable burried in the motherboard firmware.

It is possible to copy this out with Linux booted and inject it with libvirt/KVM

Info: How to use Windows 10 OEM license in libvirt VM (<smbios mode='host' /> does not work as Windows seems to verify UUID; apparmor/security configuration changes may be needed) · GitHub

However this won’t help if you bare metal boot the old windows install and to do that you also need to run a fixup script over the windows install partition ahead of time to ensure it doesn’t bsod due to trying /not trying to load hal features not on the new system.

So you6best option is to grab the and dump out the bios bits and keep them handy and use a fresh install with the dumps referenced in a VM on a new install