[SOLVED] Charging cable split and frayed

I suppose it could be down to your use that creates the issue, not that that is any 'excuse.

I did think the way the cable is formed to the plugs was a bit rough…

However both the images indicate bending at the ‘rough’ joint, the former one more so, so that would indicate maybe a ‘poor’ storage in a bag maybe where the plug gets bend maybe 90° against the cable…

An update on my expected magetic cables from Syllucid

I was expecting a delivery yesterday but the package got trashed between UK customs and UPS, disappointed a bit but not surprised.

The really exceptionally bright and cheerful news is that I have just received a phone call from the founder (Netherlands to UK) to explain what they have discovered and are about to send a new package.

Now that’s what I call customer support.
:tada:

1 Like

OK I have received magnetic cables from Syllucid.

• I do notice it gets very warm even at low loads ???

• First I note the USB C port on the Framework is a bit shallow, there is a gap of some 2mm between the plug and the expansion card. This gap is also present with the default Framework charger and cable.
    But here is the same gap with the magentic connector. I can see now more clearly why there is an expansion card in the making to have the adapter housed in the card.

• You can also see the cable which is flexible enough so as not to think about it’s angle to the adapter.

• Here is a picture of the same adapter in my phone, a far better match, there is no 2mm gap and with a case on the phone, hardly visible. My reason for buying was the phone.

phone

3 Likes

I had a similar pattern of breakage only 3 months into normal use. Pretty disappointing but after contacting support, they were pretty prompt about offering a replacement. I hope this issue gets addressed though, would be annoying to have to deal with this every few months

Anyone else have trouble with fraying charger cable ends? My friend wrapped up both ends of my charger cable with jute!

3 Likes

Note that folks who are seeing the cable fray after normal usage within the warranty period, you should reach out to Framework Support for a replacement cable. We’ve root caused this with our cable supplier and believe that there was a limited number of cables where molding of the sleeve wasn’t done at the optimal temperature. They’ve since adjusted the manufacturing process to resolve this.

It is still normal TPE-jacketed cable though, so over heavy use over time, there is risk of the jacket wearing at stress points. This is part of the reason we designed the USB-C cable to be detachable and replaceable. Much cheaper and less wasteful to replace a cable than a whole power adapter!

12 Likes

I hate the 90 degree turn so I also flipped the cable to connect that side to the brick. That might have contributed to the extensive splitting I got.

About to get a 3rd party cable as replacement.

2 Likes

I’ve always used my charging cable with a magnetic clip. Saved my bacon a couple of times.
Noticed today that the cable has split

3 Likes

Yet if I’m not mistaken, Frame.Work forces us to buy the entire power adapter set to replace one cable? How is that not wasteful and cheaper?

In anticipation of:

@Art
So 2 weeks after the warranty expired my power cable has split apart.

You will note there that Framework has responded and I think they are likely to forego the 2 weeks as they recognised there were some duff cables.

A warranty expiry only really means that it can be used to thwart a claim but where something clearly has failed unreasonably then the manufacturer is still liable.

My cable is, most of the time as in the image. The loop is to ensure the end by the computer does not get a lot of strain from movement.

I also have two outlets than the computer is moved between during the day/evening and in the evening is as the model infers is on my lap and I’m up and own all over the place whilst plugged in, hence the loop fixed to a steel board, which is also used to help cooling.

Ever few weeks the cable is rolled up and backpacked some hundreds on miles and pulled out to use at various locations for a few days.

So far so good :crossed_fingers:

@Art
this repair-friendly company forces you to buy the entire adapter set of three items for $49

Where did you get that idea, no one is forcing you to do anything. You are free to buy what you want, for example a 100W USB C to USB C cable. ??

This has replaceable 1m AC and 2m right-angle USB-C cables.
What kind of power adapter can I use with my Framework Laptop?

3 Likes

So 2 weeks after the warranty expired my power cable has split apart. The thing is, this laptop just sits there. I’ve coiled/uncoiled the cable at most 3-5 times in the year that I’ve had it. I have 10 year old laptops with cables I’ve abused far more that haven’t split apart.

I hate to say this but if a “repair-friendly” laptop = cheap parts that you HAVE TO replace often with the added expense of time and stress, this’ll be my last repair-friendly product.

EDIT: holy smokes…and this repair-friendly company forces you to buy the entire adapter set of three items for $49 + shipping when I just need to repair the one cable? That’s pretty bad…for me…for the planet…

The good news is you can get a high quality cable elsewhere.

4 Likes

I know your warranty is up, but I would still contact support. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with the charging cable, and support is doing their best to replace just the cable for free.

I’m just guessing but there may have been was a manufacturing flaw with the early cables.

EDIT: I completely forgot that Nirav mentioned an actual manufacturing defect. For anyone coming to this thread in the future, please contact support if you are seeing fraying issues with your charging cable! (thanks to @GhostLegion for the reminder)

2 Likes

NRP said there was a manufacturing defect above in the thread.

1 Like

aha! I completely forgot that he had said this! It is no longer a guess!

1 Like

To their credit, Framework appears to have decided my cable was part of a bad batch and is sending a replacement free of cost. So there’s that.

5 Likes

My power cord just started to spontaneously unravel after just a couple of months of intermittent use! It sits, unmolested, on a smooth flat surface and hasn’t been stepped on, twisted, or damaged in any other way. Yikes!!

Posts from a couple of months ago suggest other folks are having the same issue. Did Framework respond appropriately? If you had this issue, what are you using now?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @Sandra_Relyea,

Please contact Framework Support. We’ll take care of you. We’ve been in contact with our supplier/manufacturer of this specific part and have provided them returned samples for analysis.

@Sandra_Relyea
I asked that your post be moved to this main topic, where, as suggested by @TheTwistgibber you will find cases where Framework have repalced in similar cases.

All the best

1 Like

Hey anyone else haveing issues with the chargers?