Clamshell mode increases CPU temps substantially

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that running in clamshell mode increases the CPU temps substantially on the framework which is not true for other laptops I have used (like the macbook pro).

I have a particularly heavy use-case as a professional software developer where I am usually running a linux VM, docker, database, dependencies, debugger, and my application, plus the IDE and supporting chat/mail/browser apps. I have the framework elevated on a laptop stand so it gets clean and cool airflow. I’ve re-pasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme.

Before the re-paste and laptop stand I was hitting 100C regularly. After the re-paste and laptop stand I still hit 80-90C unless I open the lid. If I open the lid then I find that temps are warm but acceptable around 60C.

Comparing the Framework exhaust port to my Intel Macbook Pro I’ve noticed that the black plastic hinge cover on the Framework extends all the way to the bottom of the laptop chassis. In practice, when closed, this only leaves a small gap between the plastic hinge cover and the bottom of the chassis where the exhaust needs to escape with a 90 degree angle downwards. The Macbook Pro on the other hand does not extend the plastic hinge cover all the way to the bottom of the chassis, so that even when in clamshell mode the exhaust still has a straight shot out of the back of the laptop.

I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and if you think it could be resolved with a re-designed hinge cover?

2 Likes

Yes not designed to be used with the lid closed as there is no upward vent for the warm air to rise and lower the pressure ?? :frowning:

Just to confirm, the laptop stand is designed in a way that doesn’t obstruct the bottom vent(s), correct?

Basically I was wondering if simply turning the laptop upside down when in a closed position would make any difference.

Otherwise, because the laptop can open to a full 180 degree angle, you could try laying it flat in a completely-open arrangement instead (again, trying it laying as both screen-side up and screen-side down).

Don’t think so.

The fan sucks in air from below which is cooler and pushes it out higher and the convection of rising heat also adds to the amount of air passing the CPU etc.

Upside down the fan is sucking in warmer air, though minimally so, and pushing it down creating a back pressure which slows air flow.

Yes, I made sure to get a stand that didn’t obstruct the intake vents. I think I pretty much have the problem “solved” (it’s not a big deal to run it with the lid open) but I was just wondering if anyone has raised this issue before and if the design team has thought about how the black plastic hinge cover restricts exhaust flow.

I’m starting to wonder if some careful work on the hinge cover to “fabricate” some exhaust port openings might actually make all the difference.

2 Likes

It’a problem in suspend mode too . . . with the lid closed.

I’m guessing you’re referring to “modern standby” or whatever it’s called where the CPU isn’t actually put into full suspend? (i.e. on at least DDR3-era and older PCs where only the RAM is powered and nothing else, save for maybe the USB ports for charging stuff)

In both Windows 11 and Ubuntu (Sleep or Suspend) with an SD card reader extension and a 256GB drive 4W of power is used and if that was in a backpack it would not be healthy.

I’ve definitely seen this issue mentioned before, though I don’t have the energy to go searching for that post (it was quite a while ago)

I can’t speak for the design team, but my guess is that they engineered the laptop to be used open, and may not have designed it for people who run the laptop closed. Now that this topic has been created, maybe they will consider redesigns to the bezel piece in the future, or a community member may try to make a better design!

1 Like

Ouch. I use my laptop closed 80% of the time. You’d think they would’ve designed it to be used both ways. Waiting for the shipment of the laptop but this is a little saddening. I store my current one under my desk on brackets I printed, no room up top for an open one.

Definitely watch your temps. Like I said, I haven’t ruled out attempting a field modification on mine to open up the exhaust pathway, but I’d prefer if I could purchase a replacement part (which I don’t currently see offered on the marketplace).

I don’t have a laptop to look at yet (got charged but no ship date) but that would be fantastic if they could release a different part that directs it outwards instead. Does it look like it would be a simple swap?

You can remove the bezel which allows maximum air flow. And of course you can modify the bottom of the bezel :slight_smile:

About to add some images . . . .

This is the bottom from the back with bezel removed. The narrow slots at the edge of the case at the bottom are the vents.

I see no problem using closed with the bezel removed or modified

Interesting. Seems like that be an easy-ish fix for them to offer a different bezel that allows for max cooling. I’d hate to just hack up mine. This is kinda frustrating because many people use their laptops closed in docking type configurations.

I’ve used laptops exclusibely since 1996, at £2500 then, and yet have never seen anyone use a laptop closed ??

1 Like

I haven’t used computers for as long as you but I’ve used my laptop closed for almost 2 years now (wait actually 3) working from home and utilizing a monitor, keyboard, mouse. I’ve seen this set up multiple times in different forums and enthusiast YouTubers.

1 Like

Seems very odd though I can see some people may do so, so weird > to buy a laptop with a screen and then hardly or not use it. :thinking:

Some people now and then, but that’s more like a few on occasion and not many >

I think I’d buy a 2 in 1 and just remove the screen, OH I did that once but then only used the screen as a tablet :slight_smile:

I imagine the desire for using a laptop closed is the ability to basically have a desktop PC that you can also take with you.

At least before m.2 SSDs become common, a fun thing I’ve been doing is simply swapping a SATA SSD between a desktop and a laptop quite easily since I ran the SATA & power cables on my desktop through an empty PCIe expansion (though there are hot-swap 5.25" drive bay adapters that can work as well) and put it into a laptop that normally only holds the bottom cover in with two screws but cnaps snaps into place so I just keep the screws removed (alternatively, on laptops with an optical drive and a built-in lever to eject like the Thinkpad T420, you could just use an optical to 2.5" SATA drive adapter).

I’ll be honest that this is one of my main annoyances with m.2 and the modern DIY enthusiast’s desire to eliminate all cables - it makes swapping drives between multiple computers much more troublesome unless there became a way to more quickly access an m.2 slot on a laptop (a desktop could theoretically use a riser cable or maybe even a Thunderbolt adapter that properly uses PCIe).

That being said, this only tends to work well if you use Linux only with AMD or Intel graphics (no Nvidia!), or get really lucky and Windows actually “plays ball” with the two very different PCs (which I’ve actually gotten lucky with before, but on other PCs it also can just straight-up fail).

I’m not so sure that 4W of power is enough to be concerned about - that’s the same as a mere 800mA 5v USB charger which is squarely in the slow charging category, many of which mobile devices tend to only have heat concerns if being actively used and charged at the same time (and a framework laptop has much more surface area to dissipate such heat as well).

When I am at home I have it docked so I can game on my G-Sync 165Hz display using a docked 12GB 3060 (there is more bandwidth if I don’t use the laptop display).

There is no noticeable difference in temps for me with the lid open or closed but maybe that’s because of the noisy cooler I have under it somehow manages to push the air through that little crack :stuck_out_tongue: .

I imagine there aren’t many with such a fine set up :slight_smile: and removing the bezel would suit such a situation fine.