I’ve had my 12th gen, batch 2 FW for a few days now and have been using it mostly in closed clamshell mode, vertically in a stand next to the 42 inch external monitor. Some feedback.
- Overall, much better than I anticipated!
- Windows 11 installed, i5, 32 GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
- Hinge side and fan are on the top in the vertical stand, no external force air used
- Much of my work is browser with multiple tabs open (5-10), 1-3 Excel worksheets with a bunch of data in it → core CPU temps are always below 40C and hover in the 34-38C range
- I also write code and need to compile code in that process → I will see core CPU temps go into the 40s and sometimes mid 50s, but rarely to never above 60C, with quick reduction into the 30s once compiling is done
- Software install → can get into 50s, occasionally low 60s, but temporarily only
Overall I’m very happy with my FW as heat dissapation with closed laptop in a vertical position was my main concern. I say no worries!