Cleaning recomendations

Do you have any cleaning recommendation?
What chemicals are recommended for the screen, the body, the keyboard? What chemicals are not recommended?
Is there any procedure on cleaning the computer to avoid any damage?
I guess that the body is covered with paint?

You can use water and a microfiber cloth to clean everything. Personally, I use Whoosh as I find it cleans things really well but it’s not necessary.

Don’t use alcohol on the screen as it can damage it over time.

Just use a clean microfiber and don’t apply too much pressure, especially on the screen.

It’s anodization not paint.

Thank you for the tips.
Do you know what are the materials of the finish of the power button and the touchpad?

I believe it’s a glass layer on top of them

I am unclear as to how, or what, I should do when cleaning my Framework 16 Laptop. It’s kind of an important part of maintenance, and when the time comes, I would like to have a guide ready on how to clean my Framework without breaking.

It’s not important now, but I will definitely want this in five months.

I ‘live’ in a off grid environment. I use my 13" at least 4 to 5 hours a day and I use wood as a fuel for heating and cooking. I’m sat 4 feet away from my stove. I work on the land and so I bring in lots of debris. The wood stove create lots of dust and i ‘ought’ to clean many things weekly, though I don’t and sometimes I can can just rub my hand across the floor that has clear dust etc. to clear it into a pile.

After 26 months I decided to check my laptop.

Once opened there was next to no dust etc. I used a small brush on the keyboard and that’s about it.

EDIT: I must add that I use the laptop on a steel plate on my lap not directly on my lap or bed.

The outside . . . well a wipe every month or more

Also if you search you will find this has been asked a few times :slight_smile:

https://community.frame.work/search?q=cleaning

6 Likes

Hi! I’ve been using a fw13 for some months now and from the use the zone where my palms rest and the exterior are now not as clean as I would love to. What are your recommendations/recommended products to clean it? In previous laptops I just used some soft towel with a bit of water or alcohol but they were plastic not aluminum ':smiley:

1 Like

I add the following observation. The aluminium does not pick up grease easily, which is good. However, the bevel does.

Cleaning the surfaces of laptops*** (keyboards, case, cables, power supply) can typically be safely cleaned using the following order of increased cleaning ability.

*** DO NOT clean the screen with anything other than a clean, soft microfiber towel and if it has fingerprints/foreign matter dampen the cloth slightly with clean water then wipe gently; follow up with a dry portion of the microfiber to clean any streaks left behind from the damp cloth***

1. Clean, dry, microfiber cloth.
  2. Clean, slightly damp, microfiber cloth.
  3. Clean, lightly dampened with Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol, microfiber cloth.
  4. Clean, moderately damp with Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol, microfiber cloth; slightly more pressure though not enough to deform the surface you are cleaning.
  5. If [4] above is not working; clean hands and work surfaces more often before using devices.
TL:dr

Almost all screens come with a “coating” that is commonly antireflective, color enhancing, and a protective barrier to the raw surface. Only use a clean microfiber cloth dampened with clean water at most to protect the factory coating on screens (this includes TV’s). Most are not aware that water itself is actually a solvent although a mild one.

For all the users who want to finger blast their screens because of this idea that touching a screen is a better experience for them; each touch leaves/smears oils, dirt, bacteria, dust, mites, etc. around the screen and is put on display light a Lite-Brite.

While I do not have a germ-phobia, it is fairly unappealing to see the evidence of touching a screen and then think about all the dirty things the prints have left behind or have carried over contamination from another source.

Generally most plastic and certainly aluminum can be safely cleaning with isopropyl or denatured alcohol without damage. Check in an inconspicuous place though if uncertain.

2 Likes

What’s the important issue about ‘microfibre’. I use cotton from old clothes.

Hi @amoun,

It does not have to be a microfiber cloth. They are commonly used in detailing/cleaning vehicles. Generally they do not leave lint behind, and are not quite as absorbent as cotton is. Synthetic fibers will generate a small amount of static electricity which can attract and retain dust. :grin:

Pro tip from detailers: That little tag on new microfiber cloths? RIP IT OFF. Even if it frays the edge it is ok; the tag actually can leave scratches on more delicate surfaces.

Using a clean cotton cloth from old clothes is a great choice as well. Plus you are repurposing the clothes! :recycle:

4 Likes

I wonder whether using a ‘screen cleaner’ product on laptop screens beats using water. For, 1) so doing will be safe, right? And 2) water can leave smudges.

Water may leave smudges but distilled water won’t leave deposits. Water and the pressure applied can spread a small dot of oil to a smear, but a dry cloth, specially cotton or linen can then be used to remove that with a little pressure.

Else a solvent is used to dilute oil so it is more absorbent with less pressure.

Because alcohol and water mix well alcohol can be used to remove both oil based and water soluble deposits.

i.e. pure Vodka may work well but not so much Malibu with it’s added sugar.

Soap is OK as it bonds with oils, but it has to a little soap with very little water so as not to flood the keyboard and electronics.

Distilled water won’t leave any residues as pretty non-conductive, but to be safe if any got through it would eb wise to let it try for some prolonged period.

OK forget the Vodka unless it overproof i.e. 57% or more alcohol or more.

Keep the Vodka in case you get sad if you drop the laptop and wreck it.

1 Like