Clear Color Shells for the Framework Laptop!

@SinistralFern23 @g0tmk I’d be neat to see something like this match with that clear bezel! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

This is something we’ve thought through for a while. but it really comes to the mechanical and space issue. Personally I super want this cool case same as any one of you. >"<

BTW, the image looks cool with nice Photoshop skill! Thumb up!

Nick

10 Likes

@Poyu_Chen That makes completely sense :frowning: I appreciate you letting us know tho.

If a future body form is built, it’d be nice to have one clear one with the thickness enough to handle it :wink: hehe

And I appreciate the compliments too :slight_smile: It feels good to be able to have the Framework team respond and acknowledge us here

1 Like

I think all of us just want a clear purple shell.

5 Likes

So long as the hand wrests handle heat transfer well I would be interested in this! One thing I don’t like about my late 2016 mbp is that it easily gets hot and sometimes to the point that my wrists sweat… which looks gross on that aluminum.

Not going to lie, if they had some iBook G3 style stuff I would totally get it. I suppose there’s a nostalgia factor and possible legal complications, but man it could be cool and look clean.

1 Like

A clear bezel would be amazing, and a clear body even more so! If either of these ever hit the market, I’d buy them in a heartbeat. I think this design trend would work especially well for the Framework, given the focus on user repairability and how nice it looks under the hood.

5 Likes

Is there any update on the bezel schematics? It would be really cool to 3D print some different colors!

1 Like

I know it’s not the same, but

There are “teardown” variants in there

1 Like

Technology peaked here.
How can we make a clear case community edition of the whole frame? Are the schematics available?

clear-5

clear-3

5 Likes

The ethernet card is clear!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I remember those transparent phones. also the gameboys and vaguely n64, and i’ve got a red translucent ps2 controller, I dont think ive ever seen the console though, or the dreamcast. They’re cool. I remember the imacs as well.

1 Like

Also asked for this one which they actually made, but apparently it’s like really hard to fabricate!

Hopefully when some R&D budget opens up later we’ll get one~

+1 for a transparent bezel :orange_heart:

4 Likes

this pinebook prototype looks fire!

10 Likes

Coming back to say I love how much the clear aesthetic has risen so far recently. dBrand‘S PS5 plates and Beats’ new transparent buds come to mind. Those are pretty mainstream, how about that!

I’m so dainty with my electronics, I think I’d go for the clear shell even if I had to sign away my warranty lol

I think clear metal isn’t really an option. And they already tried to make the bezel and keyboard transparent. And all other parts are metallic from the outside.

It’s a dream, for sure. Sad to hear it ran into problems significant enough to stop it, even for a team who obviously like the idea.

If a clear case is produced it’s likely to be a hit. You (FW) are aiming at a market demographic who love tech, and probably love seeing the fiddly bits. It would sell. Choosing between premium-feeling magnesium body and a less fancy plastic (or very expensive transparent metal) alternative body may seem like a killer for the dev time, but I dunno… you’ll probably be surprised.

So, open question… oh look there’s a voting system here.

How much extra would you (the reader) pay for a clear case Framework body?

• <$100usd
  • $100-200usd
  • $200-300usd
  • $300usd or more

0 voters

Prices pulled out of thin air. I have no idea what this would cost. But hey look, a poll!

There’s a clear solution to the strength/thickness issue

1 Like

@nrp I’d be totally okay with a thicker, blockier laptop if I can have it in purple or green clear plastic. Please consider looking into this, or setting up partnerships with other companies that have a track record of excellence at doing this right, such as for example Extremerate!