CPU Clock Issue with Deep Sleep

Currently I’m running Zorin OS 16. It’s based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I wanted to ensure this laptop sleeps as efficiently as possible. I got TLP working but another topic mentioned deep sleep too. So I followed these instructions and while it does seem to significantly reduce power consumption, it introduces another, easily reproducible problem on my configuration:

1. Unplug the laptop.
  2. Close the lid long enough for the laptop to recognize it’s closed. a few seconds will do in my experience.
  3. Reopen it.

The CPU is now locked at 200 MHz. The effects are pretty predictable; it’s slow to respond. Even alt+tab or opening a terminal with a hotkey takes a few seconds.

The quick fix is to plug it back in for a second or two. Obviously, for actual laptop use, that fix isn’t always practical. So, I reversed the change from the instructions in the link, and I no longer have the issue.

Anybody else having issues with deep sleep? If so, have you found other fixes?

1 Like

Could that be related to that ?
https://community.frame.work/t/clock-stuck-at-39ghz/4835/93

That’s entirely possible, but I was under the impression that’s a different issue entirely. If I had to guess, the BIOS has some sort of sleep state setting the Linux distro I’m running doesn’t know about. Therefore, it’s never reverted. It could also just be Linux being a little janky. It can do that sometimes on newer hardware.

For reference, the current kernel version of that distro is 5.11, and while the Framework staff and community recommend at least 5.12, they do so because of other issues like the Wi-fi driver, which has a workaround. It’s still possible that the issue could be fixed with a kernel update, but the distro didn’t seem to like that idea so I just installed Windows 11. I still have that Linux installed on a different drive though, so maybe I’ll test it more if anybody’s interested and I have the time.

FYI you can try running more recent kernels on older versions of ubuntu using the mainline kernel ppa and scripts like ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh