Sleep issues after 3.19 BIOS update - 11th Gen Intel Framework 13

• Which OS (Operating System)?
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11, Distribution of Linux)?
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?
  • If this is a Linux issue, please use the Linux tag or at least put Linux in the title.
  • If there is no information pertaining to your issue or question, please let us know here: Framework | Support Framework | Fix Consumer Electronics

Hi all

Been having battery drain during sleep issues since day one of owning the laptop, but it’s never really bothered me as it didn’t leave the house much. As i’m using it on the road a little more now, I decided to update the BIOS and see if it fixed the issue.

I now have a much worse issue. If the laptop goes to sleep, it is impossible to wake. Pressing the power button brings it out of sleep and I hear the fans spin up, but no video output. Even if I hold the power button down and hard power it off, when I turn it on, same issue, the laptop cycles every 30 seconds between off/on. The only way I can get it back is by opening the laptop and removing BOTH the main battery and the CMOS button cell battery. Removing the main battery alone does not fix it. Next time it goes to sleep again, the same issue occurs.

I have also just tried the beta 3.20 BIOS firmware and this appears to have the same issue.

System:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia)
11th Generation Intel Framework 13

Just an FYI, you can’t go back to earlier BIOS.

Also, as you’re on Linux, might help if you also include kernel version.

Also, you mentioned you’ve removed both the laptop battery and the coin cell / RTC battery. Did you do a mainboard reset?

Poor choice of words on my part. Aware I cannot roll back, but it isn’t any more broken than it was on 3.19.

Currently running Kernel 5.15

That guide is how I realised removing the batteries got the machine back running, so have followed it more than once!

Thanks

Hope others will have more insight on this matter.

This reminds me, I’m hoping sleep / suspend is no longer an issue with the upcoming Core Ultra FL13.

1 Like

Is the RTC battery ok, and does the laptop have the same issue when running from a bootable usb of, say Fedora?

@Paul_Braham do you happen to have “mem_sleep_default=deep” in your kernel command line? I have the same problem, and through try and error managed to find this as the culprit. Without it, my laptop now wakes up again. “sleep=deep” by itself works.

1 Like

That’s a great workaround for now thanks very much. The problem is, the laptop now does not go in to a deep sleep state so it’ll burn through battery. I’m still waiting for support to get back to me but it seems that deep sleep is broken.

Can confirm, I am having the same exact issue with 3.20 bios, 11th gen Framework 13. With “mem_sleep_default=deep” the laptop fails to resume and goes into boot loop where not even bios is accessible. The only way to stop the boot loop is to take out the RTC battery. If I change from “deep” to “s2idle”, all works, but battery dies in hours even when sleeping.

I also note that there seems to have been a thread about this:

That since has been removed?

Framework team, this is absolutely unacceptable. Feels like you’re skipping any basic QA and literally bricking customer devices, that requires repeated laptop disassembly to fix it temporarily. why is 3.20 not downgradeable to 3.19?! I

1 Like

I’ve been hit with this issue after upgrading my BIOS from 3.07 to 3.17 (via fwupd) then to 3.20 using the Linux EFI installer USB tool. Glad I found this page and know its not just me and that I didn’t screw up my system thru the BIOS upgrade. I’m on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS. Thanks @Joghurt for clarifying the root cause. Not sure exactly how to change the “mem_sleep_default” option on my system though (Gnome? systemd? Grub?). Fortunately it’s easy to open up the laptop and pop out the battery when this happens but really wish there was a proper solution. This is really frustrating!

1 Like

Imagine being one of their business clients without having this info in the BIOS release note.

1 Like

Framework team, any updates on this?

Can someone at FW please comment on this thread to at least acknowledge this issue? Has FW been able to reproduce it? Do you need more details on the symptoms? A little communication will go a long way, please!

This is a user forum so the responses are mainly from fellow community members. Framework staff may respond to certain things however, there is no guarantee. If you are experiencing this issue on a supported distro, please open a support ticket and Support will assist you as best as they can.

Hi,

I know I am late to the party, but ran into the same issue today on my 11th gen. I updated the BIOS from 3.17 to 3.20 and had the same loop of death until I did this hoop with the RTC battery and then removed the “mem_sleep_default=deep” from grub.

I am usually running Fedora 40 but tested with a second SSD with Debian 12. It is easy to reproduce with a default install and adding the line to grub sends the system immediately into this loop when activating suspend.

1 Like

Just submitted a Support request, let’s see if that progresses this issue towards a resolution.

Just tested this on an 11th gen that has had the rtc module put in place rather than the battery (not that that should matter), and it does resume from suspend ok. This machine is running the 6.10.8-arch1-1 kernel, and has mem_sleep_default=deep in grub. I will check my other 11th gen in a bit. So the good news hopefully is that this seems not to impact all systems. This machine has 64gb ram, mediatek mt7922 wifi card (I swapped out the intel card), and an sk hynix platinum nvme, with luks encryption.

Maybe try resetting the bios to defaults? Pulling the rtc battery presumably is resetting the main board.

Hopefully you are able to get things sorted out. Best of luck.

1 Like

Resetting BIOS settings did not help. Seems like more people in other threads are having the same issue too:

In any case, after filing a support ticket and a huge amount of forwards and backwards with them (for some reason they were first dead set on verifying my order, and I am quoting support here directly, for “security reasons”… when the issue we’re talking about is public and unrelated to my order / account… then they tried to offload all of their QA on me, insisting that “it’s my installation”), I finally got the following response:

Hi Andy,

Spoke with engineering for clarification on deep sleep not working. Yes, you will be using s2idle as we have found that the later BIOS are not supporting deep.

If there is anything else we can help with, let me know.

Kind regards,
Matt

This also seems to concur with:

and:

I note that as of this post the 3.20 BIOS release notes still do NOT state this.

Guys, I really think we need to bring this despicable and/or careless behaviour to Linus TT (who is an investor and is rather vocal about poor corpo behaviour) attention – how any of this (denying bios downgrades; not fixing sleep power consumption issues for 3 years; soft-bricking customer devices; not specifying significant changes in bios release notes; etc) is acceptable…

2 Likes

Suspected that the ML1220 RTC/CMOS battery was dying/dead and that replacing it might help. No such luck. Same behavior - will not wake from suspend :frowning: Still searching for answers.