Default display too bright?

Hey, I have the Framework 13 with AMD Ryzen, Windows 11. I got the DIY version and everything went more or less fine. I did feel like there was a moment when something happened to my screen so I’m hoping my issue is fixable. I can slide the brightness bar down to zero but I swear it’s way too bright. I unchecked the box "automatically change brightness when introduced to new light, but that did nothing. I put it in night mode but that only made the screen more yellow, not darker. There’s no way this is really as dark as the screen can go and I’m the only person annoyed by it. I have the brightness level set to zero and it’s hurting my eyes it’s so bright in my dark bedroom. I tried googling and found a Microsoft post that suggested checking the “device adapter” in the control panel, which I did and tried to update it but it says I have the best installed.
Is it possible I changed the default ‘zero brightness’ to something higher than zero? I don’t know much about computers at all but I mean, I’m not completely incompetent. I googled! I even tried an app from the Microsoft store, hoping it could perhaps override the default like the “Darker” app does on my phone to no avail.
Please help, thanks!

You say it seems like something happened to the screen. Was it working differently before? Does the brightness change at all when you try to adjust it?

There was a moment where it seemed to get brighter but I didn’t see the bar increase to account for it. The brightness changes when I try to adjust it, no problem. If there’s some sort of test I can perform to know for a fact this is the darkest the screen was ever meant to go I’ll do it. I have a work computer and my old Mac still and both of those go much darker than this. Actually, the Mac will go to a completely black screen but whatever.

I have seen others on here mention that the minimum brightness is too bright for their liking. So I suspect it’s not a specific defect with your computer, since it still does adjust. I don’t know if that makes the situation better or worse.

There was a thread on here with discussions of how to lower the minimum brightness on Linux, but I haven’t seen a similar topic on Windows. Hopefully someone will chime in with options to try.

1 Like

At least under Linux / Plasma 5, the screen of the 12th Gen Intel does the same.

However, that seems a conscious decision by the developers of the desktop environment. Plasma 6 contains an intentional change in that regard. The explanation goes along the lines “no one expects the backlight to turn off at 0% brightness” - well, I actually would expect that if the brightness actually goes down to 0%, otherwise why not just stop at “minimum” or “1%” if you want to prevent someone turning off the backlight by accident?

With Plasma 5, 0% brightness actually corresponds to zero (backlight off):

$ cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness 

While under Plasma 6, 0% brightness rather corresponds to 1 (probably backlight at minimum):

5% brightness is the same for both:

I guess it’s similar for the Framework 13 with AMD Ryzen under Linux (at least it must be documented somewhere), but Windows 11 is a completely different can of worms. Using PowerShell might work. However, I have no idea if the example to set a certain brightness in Windows described in WmiSetBrightness method of the WmiMonitorBrightnessMethods class still works today. That might at least show if Windows offers the lowest possible setting or not.

1 Like