Display swapable from old laptops to framework laptop 16

Say I have my previous laptop, and it has broken. E.g. motherboard fault.
Let me take the display from that old laptop and install it onto my Framework laptop.
Thus saving the cost of the display when I purchase a framework laptop.
I know some displays have slightly different electronic interfaces to the display, so allowing some space in the Framework 16 case to add display “adapter circuits” would be useful.
One can already move storage, and RAM (assuming motherboard compatibility), I see the display as the only other major component to move across. I understand why motherboards would not work, due to shape, and lack of USB 4 ports, but I think Displays might be a possibility. What do people think?

1 Like

Most likely won’t work because different proportions of the two laptops eg, 13 inch is 13 inches and 16 inches is 16 inches.

1 Like

No, I know what you mean… I saw that other comment. The problem is that, even if you were to electricly a adapt another manufacturer’s display, I don’t think that the size itself is standardized (correct me if I’m wrong). The Framework 13 is 13.9 inches, iirc, and I don’t know how close to 16 inches the Framework 16 actually is. Bezels, as well as methods to hold the display in place, would probably have to be made per display, unless they somehow found a flexible method for all slightly mismatched displays. Perhaps an entire specific top housing would have to be made for certain screen models.

I think this is also the reason we’ve been stuck with effectively the same panel on the 13; finding another one that fits the old top housing might be impossible, and finding another one that might fit, but after needing to design a new top housing just for that display, might be extremely difficult or require more resources than it’s worth. Other makers laptops and devices with different, replacable screens often design and/or manufacture their own, or have enough of a following that third parties are willing to make replacement screens for them.

Again, I know nothing about how much laptop screens are standardized, but my guess is…they aren’t, really, and you have to design your laptop around the display you choose, assuming you don’t design or manufacture the display yourself.

Framework CHOSE the screen the 13 has, so custom screens were not their forte then, and they probably aren’t now. Finding ways to adapt the missmatched screen sizes of other manufacturers might be asking a LOT, compared to the way they’ve been able to make the bottom half of the 16 more modular. But, again these are all guesses. Heck, even if making the bottom half of the 16 modular was just as difficult as making a modular top half (which I don’t know how difficult making that modular bottom half actually was, mind you), expecting the same level of effort for modularity on the top half is asking a lot.

Hopefully, their plan is to grow enough to design their own displays, if they haven’t already for the 16, so we arent stuck with same screens (barring new matte finishes) forever after several other upgrades. Or, perhaps, make entirely new 13 or 16 housings to match a potential display upgrade, keeping compatibility with the internals.