DisplayPort Expansion Card not working

Another victim here, Got mine 3 weeks ago. started failing the last few days. A restart fixed it the first few times but now it’s totally dead.

12th Gen i7 Batch 3. Win 11

Same issue - display port card seems to work intermittently. 12th gen i7 (not sure what batch, but only got it last week), ubuntu 22.04.

Yesterday, unplugging the expansion card and re-seating it seemed to fix, today not so much. Monitor works fine with other computers (and with the framework via displayport → displayport to usb-c adapter → usb-c expansion card).

In serach of similarities: I’m using a UWQHD Monitor at 144Hz. Perhaps some strange overload problem? At the moment there’s a 50:50 chance mine is working. My HDMI-Card on the other hand works consistently so far.

Also on 144hz, 1440p. Still super weird that these cards just die. Also very disappointing. I bought this Laptop because I hate dongles and now I will have to buy a DP dongle…

You don’t have to buy a DP dongle, you can buy a USB-C-DP adapter cable and either plug it into a Framework USB-C module (i.e. pass-through) or into the USB-C port inside the module bay directly. I’ve got two of these and they work perfectly:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081ZZSV2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
uni USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, 2K@144Hz, 2K@165Hz), 1m/3ft Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable, Compatible for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, XPS15, Surface Book

Hmm, seems like my DisplayPort card only works on the right ports now. Not sure why when HDMI, USB-C, USB-A, and Micro-SD cards all work on the left two ports just fine.

1 Like

Hello, 12th Gen owner here on Gentoo (kernel 6.1.0-gentoo). Confirming that the DisplayPort adapter is not working for me too - it doesn’t ever show up in dmesg either. According to the Arch Wiki the vendor ID should be 32ac and the product ID should be 0003, but when I look for that in dmesg nothing shows up. I don’t see any “unable to enumerate USB device,” either, so something’s definitely wrong with the adapter.

I’ve had Framework replace my DP adapter 2 times now. It works for a day or two and then suddenly starts having issues being recognized by the OS (Ubuntu 22)… it seems to degrade over time… from working, to sometimes working, and then never working.

I don’t think it’s a driver/OS issue. They are just bad.

Another 12th Gen owner, DP adapter card just stopped working for me also. Fedora - Dell U221H monitor. Doesn’t work in left or right side - haven’t had any issues till it just stopped.

Same story, different day. Right out of the box the DP adapter is dead. Does anyone from framework actually monitor these threads?

Tried using my DisplayPort again the other day. I tried every slot, restarting the computer with it in, hot plugging it in, giving it time to recognize (about 5-10min) with nothing. I even tried restoring the monitor’s settings back to factory default and still nothing. I think the card is dead. I’ll try it on some random monitors in my University’s computer lab just to make sure it’s not the cable or my monitor (Samsung 32inch, HDMI works fine). All other cards work fine including HDMI.
Specs: Framework 13 batch 3 (late 2021), 11th Gen Intel i5-1135G7 w/ 16GB DDR4, Fedora Linux 38 (Kernel 6.2.11) w/ Gnome 44.0.

I have the same problems with my two DisplayPorts. But the DisplayPorts still working. I can use the DisplayPort until I shutdown my laptop. When I will start my Laptop again the DisplayPort can’t be use again. Same procedure with the second DisplayPort. Then I’m using my HDMI expansion card. After the use of the HDMI the DisplayPorts still working again.
I’m using Ubuntu and I think it is an driver/OS problem. It seems that some entries will cause the problems.

1 Like

On windows 11 and the exact same issue. Got my DP card replaced and the new one did the EXACT same thing after restarting the laptop. leave it a few days and it works again until you restart it again. Horrifyingly frustrating.

Can confirm that moving my DisplayPort card from the front left to the front right fixed the issue for me! Not sure if it’s sidedness or just reseating, but it’s working now :slight_smile:

I have Ubuntu 22.04, and trying to get 2nd monitor working with DP cable and DP card.
lsusb does report it there, but xrandr doesn’t show it.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 32ac:0003 Framework DisplayPort Expansion Card
I tried removing the first monitor in case there’s issue with 2 but no.