DongleHider+ - Multiple dongles and a normal USB A socket

We have a bunch of them, I might try a few more today.

Recieved mine recently, and finally got around to trying to add the dongle. But before I did, I decided to test it to make sure it was working before I started soldering. So far, a USB keyboard and USB flash drive don’t seem to do anything/be recognized. Does it require having the internal dongle soldered on first before the external port will work?

Is the USB hub device detected when plugged in with nothing attached or soldered?

I think so? When I run lsusb (I’m on Ubuntu 24) with/without the DH+ attached, something called the “Qinheng Electronics USB hub” appears/disappears

Yep that’s the USB hub, by appears/disappears do you mean it connects and then disconnects?

No, I just meant that it was on the list/not on the list as appropriate for when the DH+ was plugged in/unplugged.

Ok, so then I’m not too sure why any device connected to the USB hub will not function.

Ok, so I’m not super familiar with the actual hardware level details of USB ports, but comparing this image of a USB female port and this picture of my DH+, it looks like the power pin might be bent or broken?

edit: yup the pin was somehow smooshed to the back. I tried to bend it back straight but it just snapped. I’ve ordered a replacement.

That sure is an unusual failure and my first nonworking board of all 150 boards produced.

I was attempting to install a logitech “HERO” dongle inside this, but it wouldn’t even be detected by Windows/Linux. I tried a few other dongles on the USB A socket, didn’t work. However my USB 3.0 drive was detected without any issues.

Could my expansion card be defective?

I’d be quite surprised if a USB drive is being detected but a dongle on the same port is not being detected. Can you check to see if there is a bent pin in the socket like

Finally got around to installing my dongle! Was a bit fiddly, and my first attempt failed because I tried using the bottom/back pins, but with the thickness of the wire I used plus the thickness of the dongle PCB, it wouldn’t fit back into the shell.

Moved it to the top pins, and all good. Works great. Thanks @LeoDJ and @Josh_Cook.

1 Like

I bought one of the Donglehider+ from Etsy and i am really pleased. Dismantled my Logi Bold Adapter installed it in the “USB2” Spot and i am thinking about, what Adapter would be suitable for the second slot. Really a great Addition. Thanks for the Project!

1 Like

I didn’t even realize there was more than just that one page. I am going to spend way too much money there I think.

I made my own sort of one, just with an inset USB A connector but I found this and holy s**t this is so cool.

I have received the 16 units I ordered. In NL with VAT/Import it came to 21 euro each.
Most have been distributed already.

I chose to connect my dongle to the “bottom-connection” and had to look twice for the correct orientation of the dongle. Don’t mind my soldering, it didn’t go as nice as I wanted.

We made some nice pictures.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to make a PCB revision to add a connection bar on the right side to connect the top and bottom sections?
My thought is it would be notched so it can be snapped off/cut without damaging the rest of the board.
Just something to give the PCB extra strength for those that just need one dongle that fits in there.

See my crude drawings:
or

Hi Guys,

i am very interested and i will definitely make one myself and maybe some more for sharing :slight_smile:
I am only interested in integrating ONE dongle so the additional pads are not necessary for me and i will remove these. I also saw some hickups about USB3 and USB4 ports with your setup so i looked through some other possible ICs and found this promisinsg IC USB5744 from Microchip which could be a tight fit on the PCB and could resolve some issues.

I am considering modifying the way the dongle will connect to the PCB. Is it possible that the DONGLE-PCB and the PCB are stacked on each other heightwise or will they be too tall for the enclosure?