Dual m.2 in the expansion bay

There is a reference design. I haven’t seen any timeline for a production release, tho.

logged on looking for an update on the same issue. I don’t need a GPU. I do want to add redundant (btrfs ~raid1 array) storage, though. Theoretically this is possible with the second 2230 slot BUT those cards are slightly more limited in sizes, 2x the cost, and stacked right on top of each other which seems to pose a thermal problem.

Really hoping framework releases an expansion bay to add the additional 2280 nvme m.2 discs.

It would also seem like doing so would be able to support other uses where the side expansion cards aren’t that viable - such as an LTE modem in the 2280 slot with a passable internal antenna (or even external). Existing LTE proposals all seem to require large protrusions outside of the laptop in addition to the antennaes themselves, which pretty much means they need to be removed prior to putting the laptop in a bag :frowning:

1 Like

I’d also be interested in a shell with ethernet and and LTE modem.
The protruding modules that are currently available for these just seem very cumbersome.

I was surprised when I watched LTT video about tour in GPU manufacturer when I saw this

Framework seems to be producing those but those are nowhere to be found.

2 Likes

I know right!? After I saw that, I was wondering when confirmation of production was announced, and then wondered if maybe Linus let it slip early? So first thing I did was look and now I’m here.

1 Like

Glad to see I’m not the only one who saw that. I watched it last night and was like “Oh cool they’re making the dual M.2 for the expansion bay!” Now this isn’t something I need, I have more need for the GPU, but I’m excited none the less!

1 Like

I’m posting this here

2 Likes

Also wondering if this was a sanctioned “leak”.

I’d assume so give that in their latest blog post Framework described it as a “sneak peek”.

Yeah, but didn’t LTT’s video came out BEFORE Nirav posted his blog? :slight_smile:

Given that they knew he was going to be in the factory, presumably they wouldn’t have had those going down the assembly line if they didn’t want it filmed.

Any more news on this? I’ve been checking the store literally every day since the LTT video was made to see if this is available.

There is no need to check the marketplace every day. We will be sharing more about that module soon and probably won’t add it to the marketplace quietly. :wink:

7 Likes

Still checking :grimacing:

1 Like

Hahaha, I love the dedication. I’ll come here and tag you when we have an update :wink:

1 Like

Still waiting :frowning:

1 Like

Waiting to :wink:
But take time you needs! I would be passiant :sunglasses:

They were already being manufactured like 2 months ago, and I’m sure the LTT factory tour was filmed even a bit before that… Maybe I’m wrong but it shouldn’t take that long to put a PCB in a box and get them ready to ship. I feel like I’m purposefully being tormented or trolled at the moment :grimacing:

@ryanpetris
There have been problems with the m.2 expansion bay. Evidenced by a BIOS update being needed for them to work.
So my guess is that they wish to get the BIOS update out before trying to sell the items so that they don’t get a torrent of support emails.

I see. I’m guessing it has something to do with PCIe bifurcation? I’d imagine they’d want to get the CPU to do that rather than adding a PCIe switch to the board. If that is the case I’m guessing one of the m.2 slots does indeed work while the other slot is going to need the bios update.

If that’s the case it would still be nice to be able to get my hands on one to have another functional m.2 slot for now, and just wait for the bios update to be able to use the second port. Even if I can’t boot off of the second drive that would be fine.

1 Like