Framework 16 Dual NVMe Carriers Coming

11:20!

It seems like at least according to the video just posted by Linus Tech Tips, Framework is planning to release a first party dual m.2 enclosure for the Expansion Bay Modules!

Link to the Video:

4 Likes

I was here looking for information on that, I can’t believe they would let him tease it like that and not drop it. Nothing on the store either :frowning:

1 Like

Time link (11 min 14 sec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS35VHEfFDU&t=11m14s

Transcript time link: https://youtubetranscript.com/?v=GS35VHEfFDU&t=674

Transcript

they’re packing up
framework dual m.2 SSD carriers. This
first station is flashing firmware then
the serial number of the board gets
paired with the QR code on the sticker
for the packaging then it gets bagged,
boxed, boxed into a bigger master carton
box

Hi,

I think a 3rd party already makes a dual nvme bay for the fw16.
He also makes the oculink expansion bay.
Search the oculink thread for details.

Dual M.2 Expansion Bay Module - #16 by wojciech_migas ?

Josh_Cook has quite a number of Framework-related projects, but he hasn’t shipped anything yet.

he’s shipped a few donglehider+ expansion cards plus at the end of the day he’s only a teenager

This is from Linus’ video:

Will be interesting when it finally get’s officially announced.

1 Like

SMH… these only go up to 2280. :-1:

OTOH:

what’s the market share of 2280 & smaller drives in 9’s. 3 nines? 5 nines? IDK but it’s HIGH. It stretches credulity to believe that a company like FW would be wise to support such a product. I mean it could happen, but if your use case is so justified by a niche-of-a-niche then rolling your own longer board is probably lot more reasonable expectation.

Separately, framework we’re waiting! :slight_smile:

Do you have a sale date?

What height for M.2 SSDs will be available in the “Expansion Bay Shell”?
Could a small radiator like the one on the Samsung 990 Pro SSD with standard PCI-SIG D8 (8.8mm) be placed inside and take advantage of the airflow from the fans?