Dual USB-C Expansion Card

Definitely down for 1. Read the whole thread. @tbe massive props to you for pulling through, finding the time and energy to overcome the obstacles along the way and making what started out as an idea, a reality! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello, just wanted to check back in.
I had a little much to do at work and had a few other things going on so I didn’t have too much energy recently to continue this project. But I’ll focus on getting the design to a in-theory production-ready state and would like to publish it.
Not sure yet how it’ll go from there since making a real product out of it and going through all the certifications required to sell it legally is way out of my financial (and most likely also technical) capabilities.
I’ll keep you updated :blush:.

16 Likes

Thank you for updating us! Good luck.

It would certainly be great if there was someone who could step forward to help with this… I also have no know-how about this.

Thanks for the update!
Im a big fan of this project and the possibility of having a dual usb-C card! Lots of respect and appreciation for your work!
Have you had contact with framework regarding these issues? I havent been active on the forum but believe reading a long time ago that they are open to supporting community initiatives on these fronts.

That would be great! By publishing, do you mean the design will be open-source? At least under a non-commercial license?

I guess that might be a significant hurdle, and I would hate it if such a great project got stuck on that… I’m not familiar with the regulations, but would it perhaps be possible to get around the standard requirements by selling the PCBs as a “USB-C development kit”, plus a separate enclosure that would happen to convert it into a Framework expansion card? :slight_smile:

By the way, I run a small EU-based e-shop specializing in DIY mechanical keyboard kits, so I would be happy to help offer the cards for sale in the EU.

5 Likes

I would love to buy from the eu! Do you ship to switzerland?

1 Like

Yes, we ship worldwide (with just a few exceptions).

1 Like

As much as I’d love to force you to work on this I have to say that you should 100% take all the time you need! Don’t hesitate reaching out for help or taking some time off if it gets too stressful. I think I speak for the others as well when I say that we are immensely grateful for your work so far and don’t want you to feel pressured! :smiley:

2 Likes

I very much like this idea of regular USB and PD.

While it’d be really cool to have USB-PD working with this, I’d love to have one, maybe 2, of these regardless as long as it’s USB 3 or 4 speeds. Mostly just to have a few extra ports.

Without completely reading the entire looong thread, it seems it’s not quite done and ready for more than prototype construction? I’d love to buy 1 or 2 when it is ready. Even though I won’t have my FW 16 for another few months at a minimum.

1 Like

In case you missed it in the long thread, the current board does not have USB-PD. And adding USB-PD seems unlikely, due to space limitations and what one would have to fit in to enable USB-PD.

3 Likes

Making this product fully PD compliant would obviously require maximum integration/minimization, ie. an ASIC that integrates all functionality(power conversion, protocol handling, USB Hub, etc.) into a single IC. I’m not aware such a thing exists or that there’s even sufficient demand for some chip manufacturing company to actually make and sell one.
Still, with the current proposal by @tbe it is very useful to many. Thanks for the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, kind of. It’ll be a PD device to get 3A from the laptop (so you can draw ~1.5A per connected device), without PD negotiation it will limit the current to 1.5A total. You can’t charge the laptop through the hub tho.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Though, I think people asking about USB-PD are likely talking about charging the laptop.

1 Like

Nope, saw that, and while it’d be a nice-to-have, definitely not much of a priority for myself.

1 Like

Are you going to be releasing the full (kicad?) PCB + schematic files? (as in not just the screenshot…) I would love to have a cheap one of these in my framework laptop!

And I would be happy to buy within the EU :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates for the expansion card?

Also interested in this – I’d love to get one of these for my laptop so I can connect my mouse and keyboard!

83 posts were split to a new topic: Josh Cook’s dual USB-C expansion card