Dual USB-C Expansion Card

In case you missed it in the long thread, the current board does not have USB-PD. And adding USB-PD seems unlikely, due to space limitations and what one would have to fit in to enable USB-PD.

3 Likes

Making this product fully PD compliant would obviously require maximum integration/minimization, ie. an ASIC that integrates all functionality(power conversion, protocol handling, USB Hub, etc.) into a single IC. I’m not aware such a thing exists or that there’s even sufficient demand for some chip manufacturing company to actually make and sell one.
Still, with the current proposal by @tbe it is very useful to many. Thanks for the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, kind of. It’ll be a PD device to get 3A from the laptop (so you can draw ~1.5A per connected device), without PD negotiation it will limit the current to 1.5A total. You can’t charge the laptop through the hub tho.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Though, I think people asking about USB-PD are likely talking about charging the laptop.

1 Like

Nope, saw that, and while it’d be a nice-to-have, definitely not much of a priority for myself.

1 Like

Are you going to be releasing the full (kicad?) PCB + schematic files? (as in not just the screenshot…) I would love to have a cheap one of these in my framework laptop!

And I would be happy to buy within the EU :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates for the expansion card?

Also interested in this – I’d love to get one of these for my laptop so I can connect my mouse and keyboard!

I’ve sent an email to a company to see if they have a chip that is more integrated, and if they do I’ll likely prototype a dual USB-C card

8 Likes

I just got a reply, they do, so I’ve requested some samples of the chip and I’ll make my own PCB in-house probably in the next couple of days, and then I’ll order a proper PCB from JLC. How many people would be interested in putting a small amount of money down as a deposit (fully refundable) to a preorder ($ 5-10 USD) if the final unit will be somewhere between 20-40 USD, which I will use to gauge interest? Also, this chip does both USB-C 3.2 and will accept PD charging from one of the ports.

11 Likes

PD charging in or out? Also how much power?
I think i would be interested. I am located in the EU

I’m also in the EU and would be down for two.

I’m down for two as well and also in the EU. Deposit for them is no problem.

While we’re at it, are you able and willing to make a couple of blank expansion modules? :upside_down_face:

Also EU here. Would be interested in one or two.

Europe France here, and I’d take 2… And also the blank expansion modules :}

1 Like

I would be down for 2.

That’s AMAZING news for this product!

Is the charging speed limited to 65W or 100W PD3.0? (I doubt it supports more than 20V 5A)

1 Like

I’m absolutely interested in 2

if it supports 65w charging for PD on one of the ports i’m down to buy one