Dual USB-C Expansion Card

In case you missed it in the long thread, the current board does not have USB-PD. And adding USB-PD seems unlikely, due to space limitations and what one would have to fit in to enable USB-PD.

3 Likes

Making this product fully PD compliant would obviously require maximum integration/minimization, ie. an ASIC that integrates all functionality(power conversion, protocol handling, USB Hub, etc.) into a single IC. Iā€™m not aware such a thing exists or that thereā€™s even sufficient demand for some chip manufacturing company to actually make and sell one.
Still, with the current proposal by @tbe it is very useful to many. Thanks for the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, kind of. Itā€™ll be a PD device to get 3A from the laptop (so you can draw ~1.5A per connected device), without PD negotiation it will limit the current to 1.5A total. You canā€™t charge the laptop through the hub tho.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Though, I think people asking about USB-PD are likely talking about charging the laptop.

1 Like

Nope, saw that, and while itā€™d be a nice-to-have, definitely not much of a priority for myself.

1 Like

Are you going to be releasing the full (kicad?) PCB + schematic files? (as in not just the screenshotā€¦) I would love to have a cheap one of these in my framework laptop!

And I would be happy to buy within the EU :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates for the expansion card?

Also interested in this ā€“ Iā€™d love to get one of these for my laptop so I can connect my mouse and keyboard!

83 posts were split to a new topic: Josh Cookā€™s dual USB-C expansion card

Which links to:
Triple-Screen Laptop DONE RIGHT!

2 Likes

Hello folks,
Sorry, I have been absent for a while due to various reasons, one of them is having other hobbies too :blush:. This project takes way more effort than I initially thought and I might not have the time, knowledge and resources to make this expansion card an actual product :frowning:. Thanks for all your support and interest in this project it has been quite fun so far and Iā€™ve learned a lot designing this :blush:.

I promised to make the design files public tho, so everyone interested can have a look (and most likely improve it), so the time invested may have some benefit for the community and probably someone can make a product or small production run out of it. Before shelling out 1000s of units Iā€™d recommend building another prototype and run some compliance testing, this is not a production ready design.

The design files are uploaded here: glx-seven/dual-c_expansioncard: This is a prototype of a dual USB-C expansioncard for the Framework-Laptop (github.com)

I might come back to this project and develop it further but I donā€™t have concrete plans or a timeline. In the meantime maybe someone else has interest in having a look or taking it further :blush:.

11 Likes

:saluting_face:. Thank you for your service. Good luck on your next project.

1 Like

On the bright side, it seems weā€™ll eventually get Josh Cookā€™s version of the expansion card in addition of this oneā€™s schematics.

Oh, this is interesting. Havenā€™t followed this one, just Josh Cookā€™s.

Any thoughts on doing a group order of just the PCBs? Iā€™d get a couple, and 3D print up my own cases for them. Iā€™m sure some folks in Joshā€™s thread and this thread might be interested as well.

What are the capabilities? Full 3.2g2 10Gbps speeds on both ports? Any USB-PD?

The ports are both 5GBit, there is a PD controller but it only requests 5V/3A from the laptop so it can provide 5V/1.5A to both ports, charging is not possible.

ā€œJustā€ ordering the boards is not as simple as it seems, thatā€™s part of why I canā€™t continue here (without immense effort).
Also Iā€™m not sure if these can be reliably manufactured for a reasonable price, these are loaded with parts on both sides and the host connector is (I guess) not standard pick-and-place. Also the parts go quite close to the edges of the board, so for my understanding not too great from a DFM perspective.
I did hand assemble the prototype but that took quite a while (but double sided reflow worked better than expected).

Side-note, a friend of mine (that has nothing to do with electronics) said ā€œhow difficult can that be, look at these sandwiched iPhone logic boardsā€. Well yes you can probably do it but not for reasonable costs in like one-off volumes since your standard-assembly line can probably not handle that.

2 Likes

Ah, too bad about the chip and close to the edges. Yeah, thatā€™s an issue from DFM. And had assembled reflow, yikes. Thatā€™s a lot of work.

And LOL, ā€œhow hard can it beā€. Right.

There are 10G capable and native USB-C hub ICs available from microchip but they have substantially larger packages so Iā€™d say they are even tougher to implement, thatā€™s why I chose the one I got. Thereā€™s also a VIA chip that can apparently handle one PD charging port but it seems you canā€™t just buy that. Also youā€™d have to manage the 20V (or whatever your charger provides) to 5V for the other port plus 3.3V and 1.2V for the USB3 part. Unless you want to stack a few boards on top of each other I guess youā€™ll quickly run out of space.
There might be integrated solutions for that but resources for these seem to be impossible to obtain for non-businesses.

Thanks for putting as much time and effort into this as you did! I was getting more and more excited as I read along all the updates since I last checked in on this project, I hope someone else is able to take it across the finish line. Good luck in your other hobbies and projects!

2 Likes