ECC support?

Please give your source for that! Where does it say the Framework laptop uses FP7/FP8 LPDDR5 and not FP7r2 type SO-DIMMs? Did I miss something?

Can we please get an official statement from the company on the official product page if the AMD laptops supports ECC memory or not?

Community forum posts (and support replies) are nice, but this info should really be on the main website!

2 Likes

@Gary_S For AMD laptops, how well do Ryzen laptops support a linux system? Can they be used with libre drivers?

@Ergodot generally the support from libre drivers is pretty good for Ryzen and AMD gpu drivers but it will depend on how far from currently supported hardware the 7040 series deviates.

The 6.5 kernel is supposed to add support for ECC on supported motherboards for the 7000-series but otherwise the current 6.x kernels support them, and I believe RDNA 3 is pretty well-supported at this time (I’m still using Ryzen 5000 and RDNA 2 so I don’t have any first-hand knowledge of the current platform).

I’d expect the rolling release distributions like Fedora and Manjaro would be the quickest ones to adapt to new hardware since they get kernel and driver updates much faster than long-term-update distributions.

I don’t have a clue how well the RZ616 module will be supported by libre drivers unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will know.

1 Like

The RZ616 is basically a MT7922. This should be supported by the Linux mainline kernel since 5.16: en:users:drivers:mediatek [Linux Wireless]

If it doesn’t work, it’d probably just be best easier to swap in an AX210.

1 Like

Just a nitpick here, its bluetooth functionality seems to only be available as of 6.4. Not sure about other distros, Fedora has backported to the 6.3 series.

2 Likes

The RZ616 is basically a MT7922. This should be supported by the Linux mainline kernel since 5.16: en:users:drivers:mediatek [Linux Wireless]

If it doesn’t work, it’d probably just be best easier to swap in an AX210.

Brilliant - I didn’t think of checking the MediaTek support. I agree re: the AX210 is a good fallback choice. I’d probably choose that myself, since I haven’t had any experience with the MT chipsets.

so i had a look on the discord and theres a lotta chatter about how its very likely that we’re not getting it cause of how ecc and non ecc are keyed differently or something? so theyd need to sell 2 diff mobos and theres just not a big enough market for ecc to justify it, which kinda sucks especially cause a part of me feels like theres probably a greater proportion of fw buyers out there interested in ecc than there is in the general computer peoples sort of field tbh, but oh well.

Physically there is just one ddr5 sodimm and dimm key, on desktop you can just use ecc or non ecc ram in the same mainboard as long as the cpu, mainboard and bios support it (the unbuffered kind, the buffered and load reduced versions for server are a different beast), so I don’t really see how that would be different on a laptop.

So far my understanding is ecc support (without excluding non ecc) is possible and a matter of wiring on the mainboard and bios. If that isn’t the case all it takes is an official statement that it isn’t, no need to keep us in the dark there.

2 Likes

Even before knowing exact CPU details, is there any news from Framework folks on possible ECC for Framework 16? Seems confirmed “no” on AMD Framework 13?

This would be a unique feature in this space, and would be worth waiting for until Framework 16 eventually ships. The comments above about up-cycling are very true too.

Knowing if it’s at least being attempted (or not) would be nice to know either way.

Hedge memes notwithstanding, any framework folks still reading this thread? :smiley:

No news. Iirc they said any new information will come via official announcements / the blog posts. So it won’t be hidden in a random thread like this.

1 Like

Frustrating that today’s memory deep dive didn’t mention ecc. It’s the only thing I’d have wanted to read about there

7 Likes

Yeah, too bad ECC was not covered (one way or the other) in the blog post. Maybe ECC is too detailed for a wider newsletter. But that’s why I asked here too. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Gary_S Regarding Ryzen Laptops, my daughter is using a Ryzen 4800U based laptop and loves it (Slimbook KDE - older version of this: KDE Slimbook 4 Specs - KDE Slimbook). Runs really nice using KDE Neon. Everything is supported and runs very smooth. Battery life is around 9 hours (while using it at university). So yeah, Ryzen systems run very nicely with linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow so Framwork actually did a “Memory deep dive” blogpost on the new AMD laptop series and didn’t mention ECC once!

That says everything I need to know.

Don’t buy the laptop if you rely on ECC support.

Maybe they still announce ECC support officially, but I am not holding my breath.

Big thumbs down for now!

7 Likes

Since they have not done a cpu deep dive I can somewhat understand why they would not mention it jet, though it definitely isn’t a good sign.

There is a good chance only the amd version (if that’s going to be a thing) would get ecc as getting ecc on mobile intels requires getting special cpus for it while on amd you just need to wire it right and do the bios for it.

6 Likes

The main board design is likely being close to finalisation so changes will not happen now, the fact that the deep dive didn’t mention it means that we won’t have ECC

3 Likes

@TheTwistgibber Now that the main specs are released for Framework 16 pre-orders, is it possible to comment (one way or the other) on the mainboard’s support for ECC? Assuming we bring our own SODIMMS?

Or is this still being held back since the product itself has not fully launched yet?

Thank you!

2 Likes
1 Like

To save people a click

What DRAM/memory is supported by Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)?

DDR5 modules have on-die ECC support. Full ECC support is not currently confirmed as compatible with non-PRO Ryzen 7040 Series mobile processors.