eGPU Struggles, Linux, No Output

My Setup;
i7-1260P Framework Laptop
CalDigit TS-4 Dock
Razer Core X Chroma eGPU Enclosure
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

At first, I was trying out Void Linux and got my eGPU working, no problem. However, I didn’t really like the XBPS package manager nor runit.
Then I switched to Arch Linux and could not get my eGPU to display at all. The GPU would be recognized but just not work.
I then switched to the just-works distro, Fedora and got the same issue as I did with Arch.
I’ve tried various egpu-switcher scripts, I’ve tried both Wayland and X11, I have all of my drivers, I’ve read the manuals, etc. Idk what I’m missing.

1 Like

I’m not sure what drivers you’re referring to but i don’t think there are dedicated drivers for the Radeon RX 6900 XT in Arch or Fedora, and amdgpu is ~okay~. It seems like eGPUs however present more driver confusion than they’re worth on Arch, and only really function reliably when they are targeted for a dedicated render or process (mostly CLI) as the handshake between iGPU drivers and eGPU drivers during switch-off is awkward and clammy.

If hotplugging is not something you absolutely need… I’d start here for Arch support (see AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics for Radeon) if you’re dedicated to Manjaro or similar.

Although Void has many other package managers for compatibility, I won’t condone running the built in RPM or APT managers in Void or another XBPS distro; but worst case you can do minimal CLI in Void and use the built in software updaters. Good luck!