Enabling hibernate on Fedora 35

I’m feeling a little dumb here. I know there is an issue with battery drain while the PC is suspended, which I am also experiencing. I have installed Fedora 35 as recommended by Framework, but on all the posts about battery drain, no one seems to be running Fedora.

Anyway, to my question, can someone explain how I can enable Hibernate on Fedora 35?

The specific issue I am having with the other instructions is that I cannot seem to work out how to create a swap file.
swapon -s only shows zram. I have tried running through an online tutorial to make a swap file. The swap file is there on my hard drive, the command to enable it seemed to work… but swapon -s doesn’t show it as being there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

This is a hibernation article on Fedora 35.

Note.

1 Like

Glad to know that my article I wrote is still helpful.

I’ve been using Fedora 35 for quite some time, but haven’t tinkered with too many settings recently.

As @junaruga mentioned in his link on limitations, I’m not using Secure Boot or LUKS, so I’m not sure about setting up hibernate with those things turned on.

Beauty of Linux is that can configure your setup how you like. Hope you get it working.

1 Like

FC35 with TLP seems pretty decent for idle battery use, but the different forms of suspend do lead to significant drain, especially when compared to the frugal idle power use:

I suspect the figures mentioned there for only USB-C expansion cards are pretty typical for the hardware involved – the drains of the USB-A and HDMI expansion cards look anomalous compared to hardware that comes equipped with these. It would be wonderful if that could be fixed with a firmware update.

I run Fedora 35 with some custom configuration of the built-in power-profiles daemon and powertop. I see similar discharge rates and idle usage to Nils, though I get a little more drain due to having more Memory installed.

Bottom Line seems to be that most users are going to see 8-10 average hours working on this laptop with most basic workflows. I could probably squeeze some more out of my setup if KDE/Wayland wasn’t an awful experience. X11 just has to do for now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed on this thread there is a suggestion to run:
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=mem_sleep_default=deep

Which looking at this seems it’s where system state is preserved in memory and everything else is powered down. Which is basically what I thought the default would be… anyway, I have seen significant improvements in the overnight power drain (used to be 100% to almost 0%, now it’s 100% to 90% over 10 or 12 hours).

I will try this for a while before going for full hibernation. It’s taking a full 10 seconds to resume from deep sleep so I’m hesitant to go full hibernation when this has got me most of the way to where I want to be.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

I read that as basically there is a lot of work and we don’t want to or can’t do it. Hibernation clearly works on Windows. Basically I saw that whole post (referring to the link, and not your post) as a coup out. Way to drop the ball Fedora.

PS: hibernation works on Ubuntu, and was working on the Framework just fine.