Expansion Card Carrying Case

Hey folks. I bought a bunch of expansion cards with my machine and wanted a way to organize/carry them. I found this Pelican 0965 case that holds six of them. It’s a bit snug but they fit. You could trim the foam back a bit to loosen it up if you want… I’ll probably leave it as is.

https://www.adorama.com/pl0965bk.html?origterm=pelican+0965&searchredirect=true

33 Likes

Great find! How thick is the case when closed?

B&H website says .8" or 20.3 mm.

1 Like

There’s a bit of bulge in the middle but the dust gasket seems sealed.

4 Likes

@Rick would you take a picture of the carts with the QR codes facing outward?

My rationale is that you don’t want to have to pluck them out to find the one you want and I was curious how easily identifiable they are by the QR code. Thanks.

Great find.

2 Likes

I don’t have the case yet, but here’s a photo of the QR-side of a card. As you can see, there is also description in words on the card which is quite readable.

4 Likes

@Jeremy_Schneider thank you. Yes, that’s exactly what I wanted to see. It’s clear what the cart is. That’s how I would store it.

1 Like

this is pretty awesome… thanks for this find…

1 Like

That Pelican case is great, and definitely good for heading out into the rugged wilds. I was looking for something a little lighter and with less bulk, and came up with the Think Tank Secure Pixel Pocket Rocket:

Fits the expansion cards perfectly, with clear windows to see which is which. Pockets for 6, and of course if you don’t need all of them for expansion cards, you could throw in other cards that might fit like CF, SD, or MicroSD cards. Need more slots? Their Pixel Pocket Rocket has room for 8 (non-zippered), plus a zippered pouch. Need fewer? Try the Pee Wee Pixel Pocket Rocket, with 4 unzipped slots to hold expansion cards, and 3 that are SD card sized.

Here’s a photo of mine with two expansion cards in it.

And, while not waterproof, I figure it’s good enough to keep things dry from a stray splash or light drizzle.

7 Likes

Great find. I prefer the less bulky approach as well. It also can keep the SD cards as well. I am off to buy one

Thanks!

2 Likes

Do you think the Tamrac Goblin Memory Card Wallet could work too?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191094-REG/tamrac_t1155_8585_wallet_cf4_pumpkin.html

It holds four CF cards and I got no clue if that’s big enough

@gs1 I suspect it would. Length and width of the pockets should be fine. My only concern would be thickness, as the expansion cards are a little thicker than CF, but it looks like there would be enough give in it. If you decide to try it out, let us know how it goes!

1 Like

My low-end solution: the venerable Altoids tin.

low-end

You can buy them in bulk on Amazon (as pictured in silver or in matte black) for about 50¢ each, or just enjoy some fresh breath & wash out the tin before tossing your tech in :grin:.

3 Likes

Another thing you could use are these Extra gum boxes:

Muffles the small metallic rattle.

4 Likes

I also got the Think Tank 2335 Photo Secure… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJZDVXG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

This one works wonders. And if you double up the expansion cards to the bottom, you can fit the screwdriver/spudger in the large slot behind the top 2 slots!

I also bought the the smaller Think Tank Photo SD Pixel Pocket Rocket Memory Card Case (Black) Amazon.com

This one does not work at all. Does not fit.

5 Likes

Nice! I hadn’t tried putting 2 in each. Good to know. And I bet if you carefully snipped the stitching on the ends of the Think Tank logo tag near the top, you could slide the screwdriver/spudger handle behind it. Might let you still use the top pockets.

I was going to buy one of the carry units folks have been highlighting here, but then remembered that I bought the new RODE Wireless GO II microphones units lately and they came with a carry pouch (as usual, not big enough for me). I use a Aenllosi hard case for them instead.

The RODE pouch however does carry all 8 if my spare modules, a HDMI Video Capture Adapter & a short HDMI cable, and a special security dongle that I need at the same time.

It all fits fine with no bulging when closed … and the padded inside along with the cable keeps everything from rattling.
IMG_20210913_123602416

@Rick

https://www.adorama.com/pl0965bk.html?origterm=pelican+0965&searchredirect=true

This case is great. I cut out the bottom foam and now they fit perfect.

2 Likes

I wish framework can release some kind of card storage kit on market so I won’t need to find that everywhere. It would be great if the card can some sort of plug in the storage kit consider the type c connector don’t have cover.

2 Likes

Hi guys. Just purchased the https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GYB7F9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One organizer to fit it all – all expansion cards, cables, charges, cards, mouse, etc.
Also fits external pocket of the laptop’s folio.
Really happy. Just few photos: