October/Batch 4 Thread

I’m over here waiting as patiently as I can.

Got the i7-1165G7 model. Bringing my own 1TB PNY SSD and 32GB of TeamGroup memory, and using their Intel WiFi 6 card.

Also got 1 USB-C port, 1 USB-A port, 1 DP port and 1 HDMI port.

1 Like

Waiting on a DIY edition in Batch 4, went pretty barebones as I’m pilfering parts from my old laptop (1x8GB DDR4-2666MHz + 1 matching stick from eBay, 512GB Samsung PM981). Otherwise opted for:

• Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®

Expansion Cards:

• 1x HDMI
  • 2x USB-A
  • 2x USB-C

Probably running Windows 10 to start and 11 if the early adopters don’t have many issues, unfortunately it’s just easier with all of my work programs using it. Only dabbled in Linux enough to get into trouble.

3 Likes

Also “patiently” awaiting my ship notification for my Batch 4 DIY. I went with:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
Memory: 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
Storage: BYO (Samsung 980 PRO 2TB already sitting on my desk)

Expansion Cards

2 USB-C
2 USB-A
1 HDMI

I’ll be installing Fedora, either 35 or 34 + update via usb wifi dongle depending on when exactly I get it.

Waiting for the shipping update and I ordered a DIY i5 with 16GB of ram and BYO for the rest. Hoping we get ours towards the beginning of the month and not at the end like B3.

Memory: BYO 2x8GB ddr4-3200
Storage: BYO 970 evo+ 2tb outta old laptop
2 USB-C
2 USB-A
1 Like

Ordered on August 9

• Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7

Expansion Cards:

• 1x HDMI
  • 2x USB-A
  • 1x USB-C

and BYO storage, WiFi, and RAM.
I initially intended on running Windows 10 or 11 since I’ve used Windows all my life, but now I’m using Pop!_OS and I love it.

This video was a huge inspiration for leaving Windows. Between forcing Edge on its users, only allowing Microsoft widgets like MSN, and pre-installing Teams, I just grew tired of Microsoft’s antics.

As far as accessories go, I wish I could have purchased these from Framework directly, but I bought this laptop carrying case
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B073TVX735
this SD/microSD adapter (hoping for an expansion card soon!)
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B081VHSB2V/
and this memory card case for use with expansion cards (as showcased by @Rick in this post)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562572299.html

Super excited for my laptop to arrive!

2 Likes

Ordered today (yes I know, a bit behind on the uptake!) for the October batch:

DIY Edition:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1185G7
BYO everything else (salvaged from old laptop): 2x16gB DDR4-2666, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo+

3 USB-C
1 USB-A

I have to say that even though I just ordered today, being patient is going to be TOUGH! Super excited about the concept of this machine, and very excited to put it together.

I’ll be installing Arch on it when it comes (btw). I’ve ditched Windows for Linux about a year ago and don’t think i’ll be turning back. Even without the Microsoft Office suite, i’ve managed to find solutions to all my workflow needs in Linux. I am very much looking forward to contributing to the Arch community on Framework.

This is is me right now, I ordered last week. The anticipation is killing me lol

3 Likes

Finally, a new thread to check several times a day while waiting for my confirmation email! Ordered an i5-1135G7 model with Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro, a BYO 2x8 DDR4-3200 G.Skill kit, and a 500GB SK Hynix M.2 on September 17th. Going to finally try running Linux on something for daily use and install Mint when it finally arrives. I’m excited to wait with y’all, hopefully for not too much longer!

1 Like

Batch 4, ordered Sept. 8th, bouncing between “Iwantthatgimmenow!” and “Framewhatnow?”:

• i7-1165G7
  • 2x USB-C Ports
  • 1x USB-A Port
  • 1x 1TB Drive

Meant to replace my main machine, a 2017 Dell Precision 5510 that died on a super-humid Atlanta day (blink code might indicate a fried mobo, can’t find a replacement on the cheap). Originally looked at getting a 2021 Dell, pivoted when I learned I could avoid past mistakes and buy a system designed for easy broken/outdated subsystem replacing! I’m entertaining the idea of eventually fitting a Framework mainboard into the Precision 5510 shell, too, if I can get it to talk to the keyboard, trackpad, and monitor…

That said, I’m scavenging the SSD, RAM, and WiFi modules out of the Precision 5510. My second monitor uses USB-C. Unsure what I’ll use the 1TB drive for. Work requires that I run Win10, which I’ll install alongside Debian+GNOME.

My wish list includes a black interior to the laptop, a 15" (or even 17") monitor, a 360° hinge, a larger battery, and faster delivery, though obviously none of those were dealbreakers. Excited to see what new expansion cards come out, and, well, just generally where this company and idea are heading. So glad they’re pulling it off!

Thrilled with the expansion card system, though it would’ve been great if cards could occupy more than one slot (e.g. set the guiderail through the top of the card, no laptop material separating slots, 4 (or perhaps 6 or 8 if possible) USB-C slots per side, and set the size of a single slot to the minimum needed for, say, a USB-A card). I’ve already printed an enclosure and shoved in a Serpente R2 and a 22-pin Berg header so’s I’ll have a microcontroller expansion card on Day 1 :sunglasses: I’ll post a how-to thread on these forums once I have my laptop in hand and can validate the design… Iwantthatgimmenow!!!

5 Likes

Good thing you started this thread @AdamIsrael, because if you didn’t, I was going to! :grin: Also because there’s even a batch 5 thread.

Ordered September 5th. Batch 4 for me:

Core i7-1165G7
2 X 8GB RAM (I could have saved $30 buying separately but I only know that now, it needs DDR4-3200 native with no XMP)
Omitted SSD, I found a 1TB WD SN850 at a subtantially lower price separately.
AX210 no vPro. It was a great price.
Original power adapter
2 X USB-C expansion cards
2 X USB-A expansion cards

When they ask I may omit the RAM and power supply in favour of getting my own RAM and this charger. Hope that won’t delay the order.

Oh also thinking of adding a thin copper heatspeader over the M.2.

1 Like

Been counting the days to October lol
I5 1135g7
Byo 16gb ram
Byo 500gb ssd
Byo wifi6
2x usb c
2x usb a
1x hdmi
Like apparently quite a few people, I was gonna run windows, but win11 pushed me to Linux, gonna run pop! Os

1 Like

Configuration

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Storage: 250GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™

Fears

• Am I going to have problems with the HiDPI display in Gnome? I’ve avoided HiDPI for years. Life is a lot easier when I don’t have to deal with scaling issues. Maybe things have gotten better. (Oh, crap. This is bad.)

Update

Ok, I bailed. Seems like the HiDPI situation in Linux is still bad. I don’t have time to tinker these days. Just gonna go with a regular DPI display from elsewhere. Enjoy my spot. :wave:

I’m also waiting patiently for batch 4 to ship. The relatively shoddy repair work I’ve done to my T480 finally failed and now the NVMe storage controller no longer works. Might as well get a Framework laptop so I thought.

DIY Edition

• i7-1165G7
  • 2x USB-C
  • 2x USB-A
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x MicroSD

Ordered August 6th. been a long wait, and it looks like I was about the earliest order that got bounced to batch 4 for the i5.

Original order (August 6):
DIY Kit
i5 1135G7
1 x 8GB RAM
SN750 SSD (500GB)
Non-vPro WiFI
2 x USB-C
1 x USB-A
1 x HDMI
1 x DP

emailed support a few weeks later, got another 8GB RAM added on Aug 23, then emailed again September 9 to add an additional USB-A and a MicroSD card reader (since it looks like the marketpalce wasn’t going up any time soon)

I have one day until I can start asking, “Where Framework?”

1 Like

Ordered Sept 18th and I don’t know if I’ve ever been so excited to have my account charged as I am for when the order gets ready for shipping :laughing:. Been years since I had a laptop worth using (a Dell I bought in 2007 for university), and it’ll be nice to have something more mobile than my desktop again.

DIY with:

• i7-1165G7
  • 32 GB (16x2)
  • Wifi no vPro
  • 1TB SN750

Expansion cards:

• 1 HDMI
  • 2 USB-A (I don’t have a ton of USB-C devices yet)
  • 1 MicroSD (get those pics off my DSLR quickly)
  • 2 USB-C
  • 250 GB storage

Planning on running Windows off the NVMe, since that’s what I use day-to-day, and have yet to decide on a Linux distro to install on the expansion. I might test drive a few for a while, as I’ve only really used Ubuntu thus far.

I’m hoping I can get it set up so that it normally just boots into Windows without going through a bootloader, and just plug in the expansion and change the boot priority in the BIOS for the times when I want to switch it over to being a Linux system for a while.

I ordered on 22 August. And I guess it’s finally getting close now. I’ll have to see where I end up in Batch 4.

Order:
DIY Version
i5-1135G7
WiFi
16GB RAM (2 x 8GB)

2 USB-C
2 USB-A
1 HDMI
1 Power Adapter

Still trying to decide if I’ll put some kind of Linux on it or just go with Windows like I’m used to.

Ordered an i5 DIY way back on July 29th. Must have been right after Batch 3 was filled. A long wait.

2 Likes

Interesting. I came close to ordering mine a day or two before I actually did and thought I saw that batch 3 was still up for DIY i5 kits. Your order date proves me wrong. I’m glad the wait is nearly over

Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB

Expansion Cards

3 USB-A
2 USB-C
1 HDMI
1 Display Port

Power Adapter - US/Canada

Ordered it September 23rd, so it looks like I made the cut for Batch 4 since it just sold out!