Expansion Module POE Out

Hi All

I am a CCTV Engineer and having a laptop that has a POE Output would be amazing to be able to program cameras without having to have mains nearby.

Not sure if this is possible but would be very good for engineers and it

3 Likes

Welcome. This has already been discussed

Hi

The above thread is about converting Poe to charge the laptop

I am after a module that generates Poe to power other devices

2 Likes

Do note that the expansion card interface can only provide 5volts, but using the expansion bay it may be possible.

1 Like

Not just cameras, wireless access points are often POE as well. currently I have a powerbank that can be configured to output 24v dc for use with a POE injector, which works for my current crop of APs.

1 Like

Yes I did get that but in that topic where the PoE is discussed there is info on what is possible, as Josh_Cook notes the USB C outputs from the main board are a limiting factor.

It would be possible to have a DC to DC converter in an expansion card with limited output but PoE i.e. from an Ethernet socket, well with no Ethernet there may be space, so it would be back to any old socket with a DC to DC converter.

So the question is what power do you want V and I(A) and what output socket do you want?

So PoE means Power over Expansion :slight_smile:

No PD-out on the usb ports?

1 Like

Max that any of the type-C ports can do as output is 5V/3A when on wall power, which may be enough for some lower power PoE stuff. Not sure how efficient converting that up to 48V would be.
And like Josh said, full PoE++ output would be possible from an Expansion Bay in the 16, it can provide over 200W at 20V.

4 Likes

Just want to chime in that I would personally love this feature, and I know we would be changing all of our technicians laptops to one that has this. But that’s coming as a technology integration company, primarily for IP Network Camera installations.

The problem arises when we come in as a contractor, who has no access to a customer’s network, yet we are the ones programming/aiming camera for them. As far as I’m aware this is fairly universal across all of the industry. So when you’ve got a guy up in a man-lift trying to aim cameras you’ve got the option of using clunky aiming devices (which usually run some janky version of android poorly) or getting a way to inject power over some other battery powered means. I usually will just bypass all of the features the tool has other than providing battery-powered POE passthrough just so I can get my laptop plugged into the camera while it’s powered up.

If the framework had a built-in POE+ port (doesn’t have to be POE++) then it would be revolutionary for the tech installation world. I know I’d be telling all of the folks in my industry about it, and you’d better believe they’d all be jealous that I don’t have to carry: a lpower bank, a poe injector, two patch cables, and all the bags with it alongside the laptop just to get a simple job done.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the maximum POE power that’s possible on the current Framework laptops is about 13W - and even that’s a stretch. The USB-C ports only support sourcing 3A at 5V, which is 15W. Count in the losses from stepping up 5V to 50V and you’re lucky if you can supply the 12W or so that POE loads may expect - nowhere near POE+ or POE++.

1 Like