Extreme (burning) overheating with the lid closed

Windows 10. Battery settings set to 50% max charge in BIOS. Set to performance mode when plugged in and battery saving mode when unplugged.

After working on some tasks (Word, Slack, Browser), I closed the lid, assuming the computer would go to sleep.

I then unplugged the computer and left for an hour.

Came back and winced in pain touching the laptop. It was extremely hot all over and a slight burning smell reminiscent of plastic or some other synthetic material was evident.

After letting it cool, I plugged it in and the computer had luckily run out of battery power sometime while I was away. This means I lost all my work but at least the computer still worked.

1 Like

Did you have the computer put away in your bag? It might be that the performance plan you were on didn’t sleep your computer when you closed the lid (as some high performance plans do). Then, when you unplugged, the computer was still awake, and when you put it into your bag, it was running in high performance mode with no ventilation.

I’ve had this happen in the past and had it result in laptops that are uncomfortably hot to touch… Assuming you had it in a bag, of course.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

The laptop should’ve gone to sleep upon closing the lid based on my power management settings when it’s plugged in or when it’s on battery.

It didn’t, and that’s the root of the problem I would hazard to guess.

This happens in Ubuntu as well.

However, failure to enter sleep upon lid closure is inconsistent in either Windows 10 or Ubuntu. So I can’t explain that.

I had placed the laptop in its case/sleeve after closing the lid, assuming it would just enter sleep mode.

1 Like

I’m glad that it is still alive. I have had a few cases with other laptops that were similar. As such I have since made it a habit to ensure the device is off or in standby (slighty lift the lid and see if the power button is blinking).

However, please understand that the OS is responsible for putting the computer to sleep. If the OS does not, the computer will perform as though it is on.

Under Windows there are MANY programs that will prevent the computer from entering sleep or wake it from sleep (including Windows itself. It does house cleaning, indexing, and updates during this time). You can run powrconf.exe /lastwake (I think, might want to google/brave that) to see if something woke it from sleep. I would also go into the advance power settings, and under sleep disable ALL wake timers.

4 Likes

None of this ever happens in my Toshiba, with the same Ubuntu and Windows 10 installed.

After searching around, this extreme overheating is apparently not an isolated issue and some possible solutions lie here:

So I strongly suspect the issue is with the Framework computer. It’s been an issue for at least 2 months (for others) and I’m concerned that it wasn’t addressed by Framework and I wasn’t notified by email of something so potentially serious prior to doing the latest BIOS update.

I’m now worried that this extreme overheating shortened the lifespan of what is a very expensive laptop. This is disconcerting for any future ipotential ssues and plenty of unresolved ones I’ve spent days trying to manage with this unit.

In any case, thank you for the community’s help.

A couple other cases:

I would suggest that you open a support ticket. It is possible that there is a Windows 10 modern standby bug that is plaguing the Framework, but I have not dealt with this because I hibernate my 2 frameworks. (both are running Windows 10.)

I’m trying to remember if I had any similar issues with Linux, and I think I didn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, my guess is either a bug in Windows or a possible hardware issue with the lid close sensor. I haven’t seen this happening with my Linux installation, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

The WD Black firmware update solved the overheating problem. I gave up on sleep working like it does on my HP laptops. Now I use hibernate instead of sleep. It’s slower fully waking up from hibernate than from sleep, but it’s tolerable. I custom installed Windows 10 on my HPs and the Framework identically. Only the Framework doesn’t sleep properly. I’m more interested in Framework staying in business than fixing the sleep problem. It would be nice if they could eventually get around to fixing the sleep problem.

1 Like

@Art Could you post your hardware specs (especially if you have a DIY edition) and output of

powercfg.exe /SleepStudy

After one of these events happens.

The laptop fan will turn on in S0 or modern standby. You don’t happen to have S3 standby enabled?

The Framework device has a Western Digital Black gen 4 NVMe.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /availablesleepstates

Host Name: GRUMPYNOTSLEEPY
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.19043 N/A Build 19043
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Me
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 00330-80138-30407-AA265
Original Install Date: 11/17/2021, 5:32:07 PM
System Boot Time: 5/7/2022, 8:25:28 AM
System Manufacturer: Framework
System Model: Laptop
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2419 Mhz
BIOS Version: INSYDE Corp. 03.02, 7/1/2021
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 32,551 MB
Available Physical Memory: 23,116 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 37,415 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 27,812 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 9,603 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \GRUMPYNOTSLEEPY
Hotfix(s): 9 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB5012157
[02]: KB5000736
[03]: KB5005716
[04]: KB5012599
[05]: KB5006753
[06]: KB5007273
[07]: KB5011352
[08]: KB5011651
[09]: KB5005260
Network Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Connection Name: Ethernet
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.2.163
[02]: fe80::a58e:1e7f:84a9:83e8
[02]: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Connection Name: Bluetooth Network Connection 2
[03]: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Connection Name: Wi-Fi 2
Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
    Standby (S3) is not available.

C:\Windows\system32>wmic diskdrive
Availability
BytesPerSector 512
Capabilities “{3, 4}”
CapabilityDescriptions “{”“Random Access”", ““Supports Writing””}"
Caption WD_BLACK SN850 2TB
CompressionMethod
ConfigManagerErrorCode 0
ConfigManagerUserConfig FALSE
CreationClassName Win32_DiskDrive
DefaultBlockSize
Description Disk drive
DeviceID \.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
ErrorCleared
ErrorDescription
ErrorMethodology
FirmwareRevision 614900WD
Index 0
InstallDate
InterfaceType SCSI
LastErrorCode
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
MaxBlockSize
MaxMediaSize
MediaLoaded TRUE
MediaType Fixed hard disk media
MinBlockSize
Model WD_BLACK SN850 2TB
Name \.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
NeedsCleaning
NumberOfMediaSupported
Partitions 3
PNPDeviceID SCSI\DISK&VEN_NVME&PROD_WD_BLACK_SN850_2\5&307B379&0&000000
PowerManagementCapabilities
PowerManagementSupported
SCSIBus 0
SCSILogicalUnit 0
SCSIPort 0
SCSITargetId 0
SectorsPerTrack 63
SerialNumber E823_8FA6_BF53_0001_001B_448B_417B_4A5C.
Signature
Size 2000396321280
Status OK
StatusInfo
SystemCreationClassName Win32_ComputerSystem
SystemName GRUMPYNOTSLEEPY
TotalCylinders 243201
TotalHeads 255
TotalSectors 3907024065
TotalTracks 62016255
TracksPerCylinder 255

A recurring theme is that Modern Standby is the culprit. Another is that it’s not Framework’s problem. I have two $300 HP laptops that sleep and resume from sleep without any problems. This empirical evidence invalidates any response that shifts blame and responsibility away from Framework. The two HP devices have Hynix gen 3 NVMe as can be seen below:

Availability
BytesPerSector 512
Capabilities {3, 4}
CapabilityDescriptions {“Random Access”, “Supports Writing”}
Caption SHGP31-1000GM-2
CompressionMethod
ConfigManagerErrorCode 0
ConfigManagerUserConfig FALSE
CreationClassName Win32_DiskDrive
DefaultBlockSize
Description Disk drive
DeviceID \.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
ErrorCleared
ErrorDescription
ErrorMethodology
FirmwareRevision 41061C20
Index 0
InstallDate
InterfaceType SCSI
LastErrorCode
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
MaxBlockSize
MaxMediaSize
MediaLoaded TRUE
MediaType Fixed hard disk media
MinBlockSize
Model SHGP31-1000GM-2
Name \.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
NeedsCleaning
NumberOfMediaSupported
Partitions 3
PNPDeviceID SCSI\DISK&VEN_NVME&PROD_SHGP31-1000GM-2\5&32FEC70B&0&000000
PowerManagementCapabilities
PowerManagementSupported
SCSIBus 0
SCSILogicalUnit 0
SCSIPort 0
SCSITargetId 0
SectorsPerTrack 63
SerialNumber FFFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF.
Signature
Size 1000202273280
Status OK
StatusInfo
SystemCreationClassName Win32_ComputerSystem
SystemName SLEEPYNOTGRUMPY
TotalCylinders 121601
TotalHeads 255
TotalSectors 1953520065
TotalTracks 31008255
TracksPerCylinder 255

Ironic that your hostname is GRUMPYNOTSLEEPY, because this laptop certainly is grumpy and absolutely never sleepy lol.

Specs:
Dual Boot Win10 Pro + linux flavor of the week
1x16GB taiwanese brand ram
2TB WD_BLACK SN750
TB3 eGPU - NVIDIA GTX1650S

I have similar experiences with modern standby Working As Intended™ and not letting the darn thing turn off. I actually made a post about this - rarely the power button starts breathing and will slowly spin the fans down to stop over about a minute (which is what I want), the other 90% of the time it just ramps up the fans and sits there for however long the lid is closed, cooking wherever I chose to put it down, whether that’s on my custom maximum-airflow laptop stand, in my backpack, or on the couch. On or off my egpu.

I’m thinking Ubuntu is maybe trying experimental support for Modern Standby and that’s why you experience it there. I haven’t seen it in Fedora or Mint, those both use S3.

At this point it is likely a bug with Windows as I’ve seen other people with bleeding edge laptops complaining about the same thing, I can only hope it’s fixed soon, because S3 doesn’t work properly with my eGPU on Windows cries

I added the PlatformAoAcOverride registry key REG_DWORD making it 0 and rebooted.

C:\Users\Me>powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

It does appear to sleep. Presumably this state doesn’t cause wear on the SSD. It does not wake in respond to keyboard or mouse actions. I have to use the power button to wake the machine. Since this is a lid shut desktop replacement, this is quite inconvenient and not what is wanted. My HP laptops work as wanted. If other machines work properly, so should Framework machines.

I have issues with this solution as well. S3 doesn’t play nice with my Thubderbolt devices and I have to hot-plug my GPU after suspend with this option.